Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your limit for a handbag?

Options
  • 20-05-2016 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭

Hi Ladies,

So I was in Kildare Village the other day and saw an amazing handbag and was sorely tempted by it. The catch was that it was €795 even at the reduced price.

I'm still day dreaming about it and considering going back.

The most I've spent previously was €500 on a black leather Vivian Westwood bag in Arnotts a few years ago. For a time I used it daily, but I don't really use it much anymore but I'd never get rid of it, and hope that I can sporadically pull it out of my wardrobe over time and it will become a classic.

Just to be clear, I can afford it, its not going to put me in any financial distress or anything, but its more just personal sticker shock.

Am a nuts?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If you can afford it, why not?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Thing is you'll get loads of opinions. Personally, I think that's an absolutely absurd amount to pay for a bag of any kind. Like, how is it actually any different to one for €80 in M&S?

But hey, I'm not controlling your wallet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

pinkypinky wrote: »
    If you can afford it, why not?

Such an enabler, I love it! ;)
    Thing is you'll get loads of opinions. Personally, I think that's an absolutely absurd amount to pay for a bag of any kind. Like, how is it actually any different to one for €80 in M&S?

But hey, I'm not controlling your wallet. :)

I know... but from experience I tend to love and care for my expensive purchases (typically because I'll have agonized before buying them) while I'm less invested (both literally and figuratively) in high street purchases.

Also, the leather was amazing. It smelled just like a tack room in a stables, which is a happy smell for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

For me it would depend on the brand to be honest and how much it could be used.

Laura_A wrote: »

Its Mulberry. There is a significant amount of leather in it. Maybe I wouldnt use it every day, but it would be timeless.

• Advertisement

This is probably the closest thing to it on their website right now.

http://www.mulberry.com/shop/women/bags/shoulder-bags/bayswater-oxblood-deep-embossed-croc-print

The one I was looking at was more of a chocolate brown and the crocodile skin was slightly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Feck. These companies really do take you ladies for a ride!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

I've been buying and selling designer and vintage clothing and handbags for a while now, and I can honestly say that I would never go back to buying them new.
    If anything I appreciate them all the more for acquiring them at a bargain price. Anything that I get is in new condition, and often with tags still attached, so why would I pay 4-5 times the price for the exact same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

300/400 euro, good leather and a good design costs money, anything else is just the label.

To date only 200e, and I use it every day and it's still going strong!

TBF, I wouldn't pay £1250 for it.

We all have out limits!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭StanleyOllie

I just dont get the bag thing. Do people notice each others bags???? My limit is about E25 haha. Now boots are a different story!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I recently got my first mulberry and I doubt it'll be my last! If you want it and can afford it, why not!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Laura_A

Laura_A wrote: »

Its Mulberry. There is a significant amount of leather in it. Maybe I wouldnt use it every day, but it would be timeless.

For Mulberry the answer would definitely be yes!! If you can afford it then why not treat yourself we all need a treat sometimes! :) And Mulberry is definitely timeless...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

300/400 euro, good leather and a good design costs money, anything else is just the label.

To date only 200e, and I use it every day and it's still going strong!

Yeah I think Radley is my limit
    It's decent stuff

If you can afford it go for it sure

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Yeah go for it. I see handbags as investment pieces, get a timeless one and it will last forever. The most I ever spent was 500 but that was twelve years ago and I'm still using it so it's paid for itself.

I was in Barcelona and saw a very nice Gucci handbag for €895. It was originally €1795. Immediately sent pic to my wife and asked did she like it. She thought it was really nice and I said I would get it. Then she asked me the price and when i told her she refused to let me buy it.
    She now regrets that decision and there is no where you can get the bag anymore.
    So ladies, if you see a bag you really like, Just go for it, whether it is €25 or €2500. If you can afford it of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

It's beautiful. Buy it! If I could afford it I definitely would. It's a very wearable and classic style and I'm more than a little jealous because I most definitely can't afford it. But I hope you enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Buy it....for me....please?....Seriously, if you can afford it, buy the damn bag. I hate you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

It depends really if you can afford to buy it outright then I would consider it. If you are putting it on a credit card, no. For me I wouldn't spend anything remotely near on that bag but then I am harsh on bags so it would be a waste for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Similar to above, I'd say if you can genuinely afford it, then buy it and look after it well - it's an investment piece in the true sense of the word, so it could get you out of a tight financial time in the future or at the very least could be sold to fund the purchase of another bag you might prefer in time to come.
    My personal limit would be lower, simply because I am quite hard on bags and just use them until they die, which I couldn't really justify for that kind of money. My current bag cost €130, but I think the most I've spent was around €200, and I'd consider both a bargain considering the use I got out of them (and how much I love and enjoy them!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

I just dont get the bag thing. Do people notice each others bags???? My limit is about E25 haha. Now boots are a different story!!!!

I need a professional looking bag for work - it needs to look smart and be durable as well as a decent size. Its hard to get all that with a budget under 25e.
    I like leather bags, they cost more bit last a lot longer, sometimes it's more economical to spend a bit more on a well thoughtout purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

My budget would be €1,000.

A good quality bag will last you years, they end up paying for themselves.

Throughout my late teens/twenties I only ever bought high street bags, lost count of how many I've gone through, now I'm at the stage where I will happily save up and when I've saved enough buy a good quality bag that I will get use from and that will last.

I know of one person who spent close to €1,000 on a bag, they needed a professional looking and durable bag for work so spent the money on it, and several years later they are still using that bag, every day and although its showing signs of wear and tear, there is still plenty of use left in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

OP, another enabler here. If it's a beautiful bag, you want it, you know you'll get a lot of use out of it and you can afford it, then go for it. I have three mulberry bags and they really are great, there's something timeless about them, they're good quality and they look well, they're suitable for work and leisure, I've had no regrets about buying mine.
    In terms of limits, the most I've ever spent on a bag was just under 2k. That was a once off for an absolutely divine bag that I've used a huge amount since. I'd probably spend that much again for the right bag, but I wouldn't be making a habit of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Also, the leather was amazing. It smelled just like a tack room in a stables, which is a happy smell for me.

I'll sell you my saddle for 600 instead! ;)

In all seriousness, personally I wouldn't spend more than about 80 on a bag, but I spend 50 every 8 weeks on shoes for my horse, and more than I spend on monthly rent keeping her which people who happily drop 600 on shoes tell me is mad so it's all about personal choices.

If bags are what make you happy buy the bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Bayswater is a classic style, so you'll have it for years.

If you afford it, I'd say go for it. When I started to buy serious quality bags, I stopped buying cheaper ones that would get thrown out after a years use. High quality bags do literally last for years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

The most I've ever spent on a bag is about €130

I don't get the investment argument as I think it's used as a persuasive approach to make the buyer relax a bit over spending such an amount of money!

I don't wow over expensive bags, I don't appreciate them. I think many are overly priced just because of a particular brand name.

I am appalled that people will spend upward of €400 on a fashion accessory but they are free to do as they wish with their own money! It's certainly not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's a lovely bag.

I think most I spent is 300. It doesn't mean I won't spend more some day. The amount I am comfortable with is the amount I would be prepared to spend again next day if the bag got destroyed and I had to replace it. If I am afraid damaging it I wouldn't buy it.

Good bags do last longer but nothing will save your bag if little munchkin attacks it with a pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

You're better off going to a leather shop and buying a real leather bag. They'll outlast you, honestly. I've had my main bag for eight years and it's still perfect. It'll probably cost you in the region of €300 for a great one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Would you believe I think I've never spent more than e100. I don't drive, am out in the weather an awful lot and tend to wear a Nike backpack a lot,just for practical reasons....I do like bags but I battle with the elements much too often....

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the opinions ladies (and gentleman :))

I think at this point, since I'm still dreaming about it, I may as well call the shop to see if its still there and would they hold it for me until after work....! Even though I don't believe in "signs" etc, I'm inclined to be philosophical about this one.

To answer some previous questions, I can actually afford it, no debt involved. I wouldn't be entertaining the notion if I had to rely on my credit card.

I also don't buy cheap bags anymore, haven't done for years actually. The only exception to this is for clutches for weddings/nights out, that are more of a fashion choice rather than needing them to be good quality.

I'm currently using a Coccinelle bag that I got in Arnotts in the sale after Xmas. It was about €250, down from €375 I think.

I don't have children so thankfully I don't have to worry about someone scribbling all over it with a pen! :)

Advertisement