Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury Duty - Clashing with friends stag

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Allinall wrote: »
    And as it's totally irrelevant, I won't answer.

In my opinion no County registrar or judge will accept plans to go to a stag party as a good reason to be excused, which is relevant to the OP's question.

Why should communion or confirmation be an excuse though? It's just a one off thing and can easily be missed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Say holiday and provide proof of travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭andrea1983

How has no mod stepped in here

I once asked for advice to get off a speeding ticket and was banned before you know it

now people just want to dodge a service to society

Selective targetting of posters imo.

Boards mods are a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

andrea1983 wrote: »

I once asked for advice to get off a speeding ticket and was banned before you know it

Or most of them are lawyers themselves and it's in the middle of the afternoon session in court. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

It should not put the person out? What the absolute **** is wrong with you. It puts me out to pay taxes, TV licence, water charges and to separate my rubbish. I do it because it's of benefit to society. We have a society where we look after each other out of duty, commitment, courtesy and respect for fellow citizens. At least we would if people didn't think going ****ing drinking was more important than the justice system. **** me pink .

I would hate someone this angry to be on my jury!

• Advertisement

You broke the law and asked for a way to circumvent the punishment

The op hasn't broken any law and is asking for advice on how to avoid jury duty

HUGE difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭andrea1983

You broke the law and asked for a way to circumvent the punishment

The op hasn't broken any law and is asking for advice on how to avoid jury duty

HUGE difference.

He's specifically asking for advice on how to break the law.

i was attedning an emergency if you must kno

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

In my opinion no County registrar or judge will accept plans to go to a stag party as a good reason to be excused, which is relevant to the OP's question.
    That's your opinion, and thankfully not fact.
    I've served on jury duty twice and have seen countless jury members been released for all sorts of valid excuses.... holidays, doctor appointments clashing, family events, even down to 'not liking the content on the case' and others being forewarned of a possible 3 week case was 'too long for them'.
    I've also had many friends validly be excused from jury duty for holidays.
    A stag do is just a scheduled holiday. Perfectly valid excuse.
    Not sure why you are getting so worked up...

Doesn't matter you still broke the law.

Op hasn't asked for a way to break the law he has asked if people think he will be excused from jury duty.
    I have been called for jury service but it's clashing with my travel plans to Galway for my friends stag - I'm in Kilkenny.

Just wondering do you think this is enough to be excused, I don't have proof as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

whiskeyman wrote: »
    That's your opinion, and thankfully not fact.
    I've served on jury duty twice and have seen countless jury members been released for all sorts of valid excuses.... holidays, doctor appointments clashing, family events, even down to 'not liking the content on the case' and others being forewarned of a possible 3 week case was 'too long for them'.
    I've also had many friends validly be excused from jury duty for holidays.
    A stag do is just a scheduled holiday. Perfectly valid excuse.
    Not sure why you are getting so worked up...

There is a difference between being released after turning up and being excused before the date.

You cannot (with certain exceptions) be excused because of work.

Which would you holds more validity- work commitments or a stag party?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Which would you holds more validity- work commitments or a stag party?

a stag party actually!

Work commitments - unless self employed (that would trump it), onus should be on employer to have adequate cover IMO.

stag party - if already arranged / booked, this is 100% valid.
    I think you just need to refer to it more as 'holiday' and you'll see it's fine.
    As I already said in my post, I know plenty of family and friends who've been excused prior to turning up.

If your best man could potentially miss your stag do, would you be annoyed or pleased he's doing his civic duty? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Im just going to leave this right here for fellow members of church of the flying spaghetti monster .

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/atheist-exposes-inequality-in-jury-selection-process-31139945.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I can't see how a stag party is any "good reason" to not attend.

so leave it there.. not everything needs to be debated to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It's the law of the land that you must attend if called.

A "holiday away with mates" is not a good reason to be excused, especially where there has been no non-refundable outlay.

it's not me that's trying to trivialise it, but others.

Uh, you keep going on about the law of the land, and him trying to break it. but if theres a system in place that allows people be excused if they've got prior plans, I fail to see the problem. The OP's question is no different to someone enquiring about how to get planning permission for a house or apply for a passport - he just wants to know how to avail of the exemption process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

You broke the law, he hasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

If I hear of you tyring out this I will be very upset.......

From Sunday Times 31 January 2016: AT WATERFORD courthouse last week a jury of eight men and four women had just been sworn in for a circuit court case when one juror announced he had a slight problem. “My dog is parked in the car outside,” he told Judge Eugene O’Kelly. Dismissing the dog owner from jury service, the judge described his actions as “extremely irresponsible” and asked: “If you were to attend a hospital appointment, would you bring your dog along?” Clearly it’s a pet hate.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I think OP has his answer. No need for this to degenerate any further.

andrea1983, this is quite different from your thread.

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement