Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury Duty - Clashing with friends stag

Options
  • 18-05-2016 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

Sorry if this is not the right forum for this but looking for advice on the above.

I have been called for jury service but it's clashing with my travel plans to Galway for my friends stag - I'm in Kilkenny.

Just wondering do you think this is enough to be excused, I don't have proof as such.

Also how would I word it on the form?

Many thanks,
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

No, a stag won't get you out of jury duty in my eyes.

You'll need a better excuse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jimmytwoface

What about 'travel plans to Galway city for a family event' or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

What about 'travel plans to Galway city for a family event' or something like that?

Just show them proof of hotel/travel booking and you should be fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jimmytwoface

Thanks field dog, all I have is a hotel confirmation that a certain amount of rooms are kept for us and that we owe so much on the day, was sent to the organiser of the stag who forwarded it on to me. No names mentioned on it or anything. And we're driving up so no transportation booked or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Thanks field dog, all I have is a hotel confirmation that a certain amount of rooms are kept for us and that we owe so much on the day, was sent to the organiser of the stag who forwarded it on to me. No names mentioned on it or anything. And we're driving up so no transportation booked or anything like that.

Get your name popped on a room. If you grab some toilet paper we can wipe your butt for you too. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If anything you should be grateful that you have an excuse to not go to a stag :)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭andrea1983

Do you have a particular reason why you think your too important to perform you're civic duty? Do you not believe in democracy or trial by a jury of peers?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

andrea1983 wrote: »
    Do you have a particular reason why you think your too important to perform you're civic duty? Do you not believe in democracy or trial by a jury of peers?

Ah stop :(

Civic duty is one thing and I agree with jury duty (been on 2 myself) but you can't just expect people to drop everything for it (at expense to themselves) because it's the done thing.

There is a reason they bring in a large pool of potential jurors because they know that real life gets in the way for some peple when it comes to jury duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

I can't believe posters are condoning the OP trying to get out of their jury duty.

there are very specific situations where one can be excused-

http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/936CF234C30E91B8802570990055C520?opendocument&l=en

Other occasions when you may be excused.

Other occasions when you may be excused include:
    » The County
    Registrar or the trial judge may excuse you if he/ she is satisfied that
    there is 'good reason' for doing so.

» At the end of a case of 'an exceptionally exacting nature', the
    trial judge may excuse the jury from jury service for a long as the judge
    considers fit.
    Are people really saying that going to a stag party could be seen as a "good reason"?

Ah stop :(

Civic duty is one thing and I agree with jury duty (been on 2 myself) but you can't just expect people to drop everything for it (at expense to themselves) because it's the done thing.

There is a reason they bring in a large pool of potential jurors because they know that real life gets in the way for some peple when it comes to jury duty.

You're right. Sure what's the point in having society at all. **** it like instead of paying taxes on my next pay check i might right to revenue and tell them i had a christening to attend.

• Advertisement

You're right. Sure what's the point in having society at all. **** it like instead of paying taxes on my next pay check i might right to revenue and tell them i had a christening to attend.

If you had paid for travel, hotel, booked days off work then that's a good enough reason to miss jury duty.

If op had said he was flying to Spain would you still say he should cancel his plans?

It's a one off 'family' event. Of course it's reasonable grounds not to do Jury duty on this occasion. If many others weren't wiggling out of it with weaker reasons there wouldn't be an issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Allinall wrote: »
    Are people really saying that going to a stag party could be seen as a "good reason"?

Doesn't matter whether or not it's a stag. The OP had prior plans to be away at the same time. That should count as good reason. I was excused for a similar reason.

Calm down. Civic duty and all aside, it should not put the person out to do it. That would be unfair and unreasonable.

OP, enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Lol

Get off your high horse will ya. I had my own jury service a few months ago, out of the 100 or so names read out approx 30 people showed up.

If you had paid for travel, hotel, booked days off work then that's a good enough reason to miss jury duty.

If op had said he was flying to Spain would you still say he should cancel his plans?

OP isn't flying to Spain, or anywhere else, so that's irrelevant.

They also haven't paid for their hotel.

I can't see how a stag party is any "good reason" to not attend.

Hence the word IF

Would you miss a one off family event to do jury duty? I sure as hell wouldn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You're getting caught up on "stag party" too much. Reality is, it's a holiday away with mates. Also, these notices can be posted out 2 months in advance. It wouldn't be unheard of to plan something for a while and then book closer to the time.

Just stop trying to trivialise it and guilt the OP out of a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,175 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I was down for jury duty the week before I was due to go on holiday. I wrote to someone, can't remember who, stating this and they excused me (on the chance any trial I would be selected for would go longer than one week). There was no hassle over it.

Was kinda disappointed I didn't get to do it - was all ready to watch a couple of 12 Angry Men movies - the original and the other starting a bunch of 90's/00's tv 'stars'.

On the other hand, I'm also not sure that a bunch of average people with no legal background are really the people who should be deciding on the fate of a trial. Maybe we should have people who are trained and appointed based on their experience and track record, to judge the merits of a given case.

On the other hand, I'm also not sure that a bunch of average people with no legal background are really the people who should be deciding on the fate of a trial. Maybe we should have people who are trained and appointed based on their experience and track record, to judge the merits of a given case.

We call'em judges.

Hence the word IF

Would you miss a one off family event to do jury duty? I sure as hell wouldn't.
    You're getting caught up on "stag party" too much. Reality is, it's a holiday away with mates. Also, these notices can be posted out 2 months in advance. It wouldn't be unheard of to plan something for a while and then book closer to the time.

Just stop trying to trivialise it and guilt the OP out of a good time.

It's the law of the land that you must attend if called.

A "holiday away with mates" is not a good reason to be excused, especially where there has been no non-refundable outlay.

it's not me that's trying to trivialise it, but others.

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter whether or not it's a stag. The OP had prior plans to be away at the same time. That should count as good reason. I was excused for a similar reason.

Calm down. Civic duty and all aside, it should not put the person out to do it. That would be unfair and unreasonable.

OP, enjoy it.

It should not put the person out? What the absolute **** is wrong with you. It puts me out to pay taxes, TV licence, water charges and to separate my rubbish. I do it because it's of benefit to society. We have a society where we look after each other out of duty, commitment, courtesy and respect for fellow citizens. At least we would if people didn't think going ****ing drinking was more important than the justice system. **** me pink .

it's the law of the land that you must attend if called.

A "holiday away with mates" is not a good reason to be excused, especially where there has been no non-refundable outlay.

it's not me that's trying to trivialise it, but others.

So you would miss your child's christening, communion, confirmation?

Juries are arbiters of fact they don't make legal decisions. Judges are arbiters of law. The jury will be excused while legal argument goes on.

The issue is a Judge can very easily let their previous experience cloud their judgement as to the inferences that they may draw. It's arguable that juries do the same but it's generally thought the strengths outweigh the weaknesses. I'm not sure I agree, but then I'm not sure what the solution is.

It's certainly not letting Judges decide on their own, even practically speaking that would be a nightmare as the same person could come up in front of the same judge on numerous occasions.

your totally right. Religious ceremonies that are held on saturdays and sundays are far more important than the fair and equitable administration of justice in a democratic society :cool:

your totally right. Religious ceremonies that are held on saturdays and sundays are far more important than the fair and equitable administration of justice in a democratic society :cool:

Not all of them are held on Saturdays and Sundays ;)

So again, would you miss one of them for jury duty?

Those examples are as irrelevant as the OP not flying to Spain.

That's not what I asked, would you miss one of those days for jury duty?

It should not put the person out? What the absolute **** is wrong with you. It puts me out to pay taxes, TV licence, water charges and to separate my rubbish. I do it because it's of benefit to society. We have a society where we look after each other out of duty, commitment, courtesy and respect for fellow citizens. At least we would if people didn't think going ****ing drinking was more important than the justice system. **** me pink .

Nothing, that I'm aware of.

I've been available for selection before. And excused from it as well. Not that it matters much to your rant.

You need to step back and calm down. You are getting caught up in something else entirely and just taking it out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

How? All are scenarios thay can arise? The op could have been going to Spain for the stages, just so happens it's in Galway but may as well be spain

Op has prior commitments that are about to be infringed by his civic duty. In sure if you had an important doctors appoint during that time you wouldn't attend

Op call them up and say you have a prior engagement with family and friends and can't attend, no need to get into specifics

• Advertisement

That's not what I asked, would you miss one of those days for jury duty?

And as it's totally irrelevant, I won't answer.

In my opinion no County registrar or judge will accept plans to go to a stag party as a good reason to be excused, which is relevant to the OP's question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement