Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should another Garda Commissioner resign?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

I've deleted about 25 posts. The reason for this is that an unfounded allegation was made against identifiable individuals and most of the subsequent posts were discussion about that allegation.

Please, please, do not make potentially defamatory allegations against people here. It could land you, and Boards, in legal trouble. It's doubly unwise if the person involved has recently been cleared of that allegation by the courts or a tribunal.

Even in cases where legal issues may not be involved, take heed of this section of the charter:
    Deliberately misleading posts or posters aiming to spread misinformation will be sanctioned. We do not expect posters to be experts in all areas, however, the onus is on all posters to fact check their information. If a poster is corrected, or information corrected in a thread, any poster who continues to relate misinformation as fact will be sanctioned.

I'll reopen the thread now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Drew Harris showing us he means business.

Assistant Commissioner Fintan Fanning has been suspended from duty pending the outcome of an investigation by the Garda Sh Ombudsman Commission (Gsoc).

Assistant Commissioner.....

Will he be shuffled off into retirement one wonders?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Drew Harris showing us he means business.

Assistant Commissioner Fintan Fanning has been suspended from duty pending the outcome of an investigation by the Garda Sh Ombudsman Commission (Gsoc).

Assistant Commissioner.....

Will he be shuffled off into retirement one wonders?

he has 39 years. he's only there because he wants to be.

In any case, I'm not sure a commissioner who reacts based on the media response is something to be happy for.

Commissioner Harris acted swiftly following media reports that the officer remained in his post amid the Gsoc inquiry.

It is understood the Gsoc investigation was launched in November on foot of allegations made by another member of the force, who is of garda rank.

he has 39 years. he's only there because he wants to be.

As was Callinan - who also retired.
    In any case, I'm not sure a commissioner who reacts based on the media response is something to be happy for.

Did he react before or after the media response though?

Did he react before or after the media response though?

After.

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    After.

Source?

Source?

Every news media that reported that this particular officer was under investigation & still working, only a few days ago. Days after this was reported, the officer was suspended.
    Seems the commissioner is swayed by the media

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if hes not swayed by protocol or morals maybe some outside influence is necessary.

if hes not swayed by protocol or morals maybe some outside influence is necessary.

In the head of a police force?

Jeez, this puts an end to the oftimes trotted out spiel that it's a few bad apples within the force that are failing to do the job properly.

1 in 4 is a shocking statistic.

Honeymoons over for Drew, and no mistake.

3,500 gardai investigated as youth crime scandal exposed
    Garda Commissioner Drew Harris has called the failure to prosecute 3,000 youth offenders a "humiliating professional failure" for the force.
    He also apologised to all those who were victims of crimes committed by those who were never prosecuted.

An internal report into the force's youth referral scheme found that 7,894 cases where youths were deemed not to be suitable for the diversion programme were not appropriately dealt with over a seven-year period.

About a quarter of the force's officers were involved in the cases, it revealed.

"It's profoundly humiliating for us as an organisation," Mr Harris said yesterday.

• Advertisement

Jeez, this puts an end to the oftimes trotted out spiel that it's a few bad apples within the force that are failing to do the job properly.

I see you've already decided on the guilt of all the Gardaí involved. That's some fast judgement, Johnny. Well done.

I see you've already decided on the guilt of all the Gardanvolved. That's some fast judgement, Johnny. Well done.

By quoting fact (that 25% of them are to be investigated) isn't passing judgement at all or predetermination of their guilt or innocence.

If you have an issue with any negativity surrounding this, perhaps direct it at Drew Harris.
    has called the failure to prosecute 3,000 youth offenders a "humiliating professional failure" for the force.
    "It's profoundly humiliating for us as an organisation,"

By quoting fact (that 25% of them are to be investigated) isn't passing judgement at all or predetermination of their guilt or innocence.

You're right but this does.

Completely disregards all the reporting on what actually caused the issue.

You're right but this does.

Completely disregards all the reporting on what actually caused the issue.

That's not me prejudging their guilt or not, that's me stating that the fact one in four needs to be investigated to begin with is a thundering disgrace.

Like it or not, this is a sizeable chunk of our police force that needs to be investigated because (an internal report found)
    were not appropriately dealt with over a seven-year period.

Some of this is actually unbelievable stuff to read through.
    One incident of rape, one case of child neglect and one incident of a sexual offence were among those cases not properly progressed.

You seem to want to imply that I'm already judging the guards involved in these cases, but I'm not, that's not my job, but just to recap the review found.
    More than 158,521 youth referrals were examined during the review.

It was found that in 16,877 cases there was no prosecution. A total of 7,894, had not been properly progressed by gardai and another 4,851 were dropped due to there being insufficient evidence.

That's not me prejudging their guilt or not,

Yes it does. The phrase "puts an end to" is fairly final is it not? It's pretty clear you've decided that the individual Gardaí are all to blame which is why you've mentioned the "spiel" that it's only "a few bad apples". Not sure why you are denying it but I'm sure others can make up their mind on what you meant.

As to the issue in question. It was an inevitable consequence of the change they made to the system. It was poorly planned and poorly implemented.

Yes it does. The phrase "puts an end to" is fairly final is it not? It's pretty clear you've decided that the individual Gardare all to blame which is why you've mentioned the "spiel" that it's only "a few bad apples". Not sure why you are denying it but I'm sure others can make up their mind on what you meant.

As to the issue in question. It was an inevitable consequence of the change they made to the system. It was poorly planned and poorly implemented.

You keep clinging to that few bad apples line like some virtual security blanket if it makes you feel better.

I stand over my post.

If 25% of the entire force need to be investigated, possibly disciplined, and if a review found that 8000 cases weren't properly progressed in a seven year period, that's undeniably a large number of cases and members of the force , not a small amount of bad apples.

Even if these investigations result in 50% of gaurds being found to have funked up, that's 12.5% incompetence.

What's deemed an appropriate level of incompetence within as states police force?

You keep clinging to that few bad apples line like some virtual security blanket if it makes you feel better.

I stand over my post.

If 25% of the entire force need to be investigated, possibly disciplined, and if a review found that 8000 cases weren't properly progressed in a seven year period, that's undeniably a large number of cases and members of the force , not a small amount of bad apples.

Even if these investigations result in 50% of gaurds being found to have funked up, that's 12.5% incompetence.

What's deemed an appropriate level of incompetence within as states police force?

And if no Gardaí are disciplined it'll be a cover-up as opposed to a system failure I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I stand over my post.

And if no Gardaí are disciplined it'll be a cover-up as opposed to a system failure I suppose?
    Who is investing them?

Who is investing them?

Everyone it seems.

I see you've already decided on the guilt of all the Gardanvolved. That's some fast judgement, Johnny. Well done.
    And if no Gardare disciplined it'll be a cover-up as opposed to a system failure I suppose?

It seems someone is jumping to conclusions alright.

• Advertisement

It seems someone is jumping to conclusions alright.

I figured you wouldn't answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

That's not me prejudging their guilt or not,
    In fairness, you said they "[failed] to do [their] job properly" which is a prejudgement of guilt.

I figured you wouldn't answer.

You figured i wouldn't give s question with two predetermined loaded answers any entertainment at all correctly.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Who is investing them?

It's grand, seems they are to be investigated by their colleagues.
    Garda Commissioner Drew Harris has directed senior officers to examine 3,400 garda around a quarter of all members — to see if disciplinary issues arise for failing to prosecute almost 8,000 criminal offences

AGS investigating AGS, what could go wrong?

Judge Peter Smithwick has unleashed a blistering attack on the Garda - accusing it of prizing loyalty over honesty.

The tribunal chairman said he was depressed and disheartened that a culture still exists in the force where its reputation takes priority over everything else.

In fairness, you said they "[failed] to do [their] job properly" which is a prejudgement of guilt.

[An internal report (by presumably AGS) found so,
    An internal report into the force's youth referral scheme found that 7,894 cases where youths were deemed not to be suitable for the diversion programme were not appropriately dealt with over a seven-year period.

resulting in the commissioner having to apologise.
    Garda Commissioner Drew Harris has called the failure to prosecute 3,000 youth offenders a "humiliating professional failure" for the force.

Unless the report and Commissioner meant the opposite of what they say, but I'll go out on a limb here and presume they don't.

RustyNut wrote: »
    It's grand, seems they are to be investigated by their colleagues.

AGS investigating AGS, what could go wrong?

Hasn't there already been an investigation by the Inspectorate and Policing Authority?

Unless the report and Commissioner meant the opposite of what they say, but I'll go out on a limb here and presume they don't.

You're still assuming individual responsibility on the part of the members without any evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Nowhere does that say they failed to do their jobs properly.
    Since you've seen the report do you mind linking to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

This would be what I'm thinking also Tayto, he's now tainted/damaged goods before he even takes up the role.

Another fluster cuck for the powers that be.

Let me see now, I have read the linked article in detail.

A couple of things to take out from it. Firstly, we have a new Commissioner in place who is taking steps to examine practices from the past and reform them. I think the man is owed a bit of an apology from those who said he was tainted goods. Well done to Drew Harris and some well-deserved humbling for some of what was written about him.

Secondly, there is no suggestion in the article that all those gardai are guilty. The circumstances are being investigated. Some pertinent quotes include "Mr Harris said the issue was especially prevalent at busy stations dealing with high workloads" and "Mr Harris said he hoped the revelations would not take away from the valuable work done in the youth diversion programme and preventing crime.".

This indicates that there may well have been systemic issues arising from the programme and also from the heavy workload. If the programme placed an emphasis on rehabilitation and social work rather than prosecution, that creates a culture where the prosecution of such offences is seen as a lower priority and inevitably in a busy scenario, they won't be prioritised. That is a cultural issue rather than an individual culpability issue.

Posters need to distinguish between cultural issues and individual labelling. To give another example, you can criticise a culture of criminality within the travelling community without labelling all travellers as criminals. It seems that in this debate, some are too anxious to label most gardai as corrupt/criminal/incompetent and are rushing to judgement without examining or considering the wider cultural issues.

Fair comment on this is that Drew Harris appears to be tackling the culture within the gardai and dealing with the negative aspects of it. Fair play to him, I would hope we would all agree.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Let me see now, I have read the linked article in detail.

A couple of things to take out from it. Firstly, we have a new Commissioner in place who is taking steps to examine practices from the past and reform them. I think the man is owed a bit of an apology from those who said he was tainted goods. Well done to Drew Harris and some well-deserved humbling for some of what was written about him.

Secondly, there is no suggestion in the article that all those gardai are guilty. The circumstances are being investigated. Some pertinent quotes include "Mr Harris said the issue was especially prevalent at busy stations dealing with high workloads" and "Mr Harris said he hoped the revelations would not take away from the valuable work done in the youth diversion programme and preventing crime.".

This indicates that there may well have been systemic issues arising from the programme and also from the heavy workload. If the programme placed an emphasis on rehabilitation and social work rather than prosecution, that creates a culture where the prosecution of such offences is seen as a lower priority and inevitably in a busy scenario, they won't be prioritised. That is a cultural issue rather than an individual culpability issue.

Posters need to distinguish between cultural issues and individual labelling. To give another example, you can criticise a culture of criminality within the travelling community without labelling all travellers as criminals. It seems that in this debate, some are too anxious to label most gardai as corrupt/criminal/incompetent and are rushing to judgement without examining or considering the wider cultural issues.

Fair comment on this is that Drew Harris appears to be tackling the culture within the gardai and dealing with the negative aspects of it. Fair play to him, I would hope we would all agree.

It's the benefit of having an outsider. Don't share any of the blame for previous failings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

For me any guilt on the part of individuals is far less important than accepting and recognising the Garda, as an institution is seemingly, by all accounts, incompetent and rotten. I am grateful they brought in an outsider. I said all along it was the only way to go.

Advertisement