Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor upgrade

Options
  • 12-05-2016 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

So I am hoping to buy a 1080 within the next couple months before BF1 is released and I was thinking of getting a new monitor. I currently use a 32inch 1080p samsung TV, it's been great but it's a bit old couple dead pixels and 14ms response time. Would it be worth upgrading to a 1440p monitor the resolution seems like a decent bump and they are a good bit cheaper than the 4k monitors on sale at the moment. What do you guys think? any recommendations on a monitor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

What's your spec? No point getting a 1440p if you can't push it

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

I would definitely go for a 1440p monitor, however you need to consider the GPU performance.
    Being a BF fan, I am running in medium settings to achieve a constant >144fps. So, you may need to think about upgrading your vga also.

Depending on your budget, there are lot's of options. Personally, I would go only for the Eizo, but it's the most expensive in that category. Asus is also very good, but due to it's QC, it's not always the case that you will get a good one. Buying from Amazon though, gives you the option to send it back and get another one. Acer also has a good TN model, but personally I do not like TN panels and I have an Acer laptop which has the worst screen I have ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Redfox25

What digital said.
    Also, what games are you planning on playing.
    Some are easier to push to 1440p than others.
    I know you mentioned BF1 , any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

This Dell S2716DG is very good too.
    I know some people don't want to touch a TN panel now with so many IPS's around, but it is a very good TN panel, supports 144hz g-sync as well. I have it next to an IPS panel, and while there is a noticeable difference, I still think the Dell is brilliant and will go very well with the GTX1080 :) I might be upgrading my 780ti to one as well and will be using that display.

And as wizard! mentioned, the asus/acer versions are like a lotto regarding getting one that doesn't have dead pixels etc, not that the dell isn't a guaranteed to be defect free either. And while you can return them on amazon/ocuk etc, its not a joyful experience trying to run a massive 27" monitor...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PCSharkey

Sorry I should have made it clearer I am going to buy a GTX 1080 GPU soonish. I am running a i7 4790k, 8gb of RAM and windows 10, 250gb SSD, 1TB HDD.

• Advertisement

Redfox25 wrote: »
    What digital said.
    Also, what games are you planning on playing.
    Some are easier to push to 1440p than others.
    I know you mentioned BF1 , any others?

I play mostly FPS and triple A's, some rpg's and city builders. Bit of everything really.

PCSharkey wrote: »
    Sorry I should have made it clearer I am going to buy a GTX 1080 GPU soonish. I am running a i7 4790k, 8gb of RAM and windows 10, 250gb SSD, 1TB HDD.
    if you are definitely going to go for a 1080; I think you should stick to one of the monitors that supports gsync so.

Basically:
    Asus IPS
    Asus TN
    Acer IPS

...but the QC on Acer/Asus is not that great and it is a risk that you might get stuck with one with dead pixels and when you consider the price of these damn things it seems a disgrace that its seen as "acceptable" once its under like 5 or something.

So for that reason I'd go with the Dell. Plus it looks like just a normal monitor, no annoying "gaming" branding.

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    if you are definitely going to go for a 1080; I think you should stick to one of the monitors that supports gsync so.

Basically:
    Asus IPS
    Asus TN
    Acer IPS

...but the QC on Acer/Asus is not that great and it is a risk that you might get stuck with one with dead pixels and when you consider the price of these damn things it seems a disgrace that its seen as "acceptable" once its under like 5 or something.

So for that reason I'd go with the Dell. Plus it looks like just a normal monitor, no annoying "gaming" branding.

Thanks but I can't really spend close to 1k on a monitor unfortunately, I don't really want G-sync, do you need it at that resolution? what do you think of https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-q2577pwq-25-2560x1440-ips-professional-widescreen-led-monitor-silver-black-mo-029-ao.html

Looks nice to be honest. Will have a higher pixel density as its only 25" while most 1440p's are 27" which is nice and handy if room is an issue. But as you are currently using a 32" TV I doubt room will be an issue...

Well, any of these displays will be a massive leap from the current 1080p 50hz? TV.
    I'd definitely give more though on the gsync though, only because you said you plan on pairing this with a GTX1080. And it works on all resolutions, perhaps have a look at the freesync options too and wait till the AMD offerings appear later? You really will not be disappointed playing any fast paced FPS on 144hz!

Yeah I was looking at the dell I am probably better off spending more on that instead of settling for the a lower end one, one question though is TN as bad as people say they are I am not much of a monitor snob I was looking at some comparisons and It doesn't look too bad.

• Advertisement

I believe that you can see how bad a TN is compared to IPS, only if you put them aside.

If you cannot see the difference, get the TN.

Yeah I was looking at the dell I am probably better off spending more on that instead of settling for the a lower end one, one question though is TN as bad as people say they are I am not much of a monitor snob I was looking at some comparisons and It doesn't look too bad.

Well I have both an IPS and a TN panel in a dual monitor setup.
    I have the Dell TN from above and an older Asus 1440p IPS. [take a guess which one has a dead pixel?]

There is definitely a difference but not to be point where you would completely disregard one over the other. In general colours are better on IPS panels and they have better viewing angles too.

But Its not as if the TN is black and white only or something daft... and honestly unless you have them right next to each other you really would find it hard to notice and definitely if you aren't a 'monitor snob'. Its not as if the IPS are flawless either, they often suffer from blacklight bleed.

The viewing angles on TN in general is not great, but when you are using this as a gaming monitor its perfect as you would normally be sitting directly in front of it.

I would definitely take the TN @ 144hz over an IPS @ 60hz anyway!
    Obviously if you can get a flawless IPS @ 144hz you would take it :)

Good monitor review site http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ by the way

I guess both technologies are really only stop gaps until OLED becomes more common but well, I can't imagine the prices they will be commanding lol

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    Well I have both an IPS and a TN panel in a dual monitor setup.
    I have the Dell TN from above and an older Asus 1440p IPS. [take a guess which one has a dead pixel?]

There is definitely a difference but not to be point where you would completely disregard one over the other. In general colours are better on IPS panels and they have better viewing angles too.

But Its not as if the TN is black and white only or something daft... and honestly unless you have them right next to each other you really would find it hard to notice and definitely if you aren't a 'monitor snob'. Its not as if the IPS are flawless either, they often suffer from blacklight bleed.

The viewing angles on TN in general is not great, but when you are using this as a gaming monitor its perfect as you would normally be sitting directly in front of it.

I would definitely take the TN @ 144hz over an IPS @ 60hz anyway!
    Obviously if you can get a flawless IPS @ 144hz you would take it :)

Good monitor review site http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ by the way

I guess both technologies are really only stop gaps until OLED becomes more common but well, I can't imagine the prices they will be commanding lol

Thanks, Viewing angles won't be much of a factor for me so sounds good especially for the price reviews seem to be happy with it. Is the jump to 1440p 144hz a very noticeable one ?

Before you splash out for a 1080, consider a Fury (expect the prices to drop a bit soon ish) and a Freesync monitor, you will have both of those for less than your planning on spending on the card and monitor otherwise.

TN is grand for most stuff, as mentioned above you will be sitting in front of your screen while you are playing so you wont find it an issue. Also for FPS, you want less lag, most TN screen will be faster than alot of the IPS screens in this regard.
    Have a look at this monitor, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SL4J1M0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    its 480stg and the quality is top notch.
    Throw in a fury card , https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Radeon-Express-4096-Bit-Graphics/dp/B018Y0IHA2/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1463068437&sr=1-1&keywords=fury
    and you will have a top notch system that should last for years.
    Admitadly, it wont be the newest tech on the market but for what your doing it will be ace.
    Invest the extra cash on future upgrades for your pc or even a newer gpu in 2 years and your set.

You could also wait for the new AMD cards but that might be a few months away. There is rumored to be an announcement in the next 2-3 weeks so maybe wait till then. The benchmarks for the 1080 will be out by then too so you can judge what your geting for your money.

Before you splash out for a 1080, consider a Fury (expect the prices to drop a bit soon ish) and a Freesync monitor, you will have both of those for less than your planning on spending on the card and monitor otherwise.

TN is grand for most stuff, as mentioned above you will be sitting in front of your screen while you are playing so you wont find it an issue. Also for FPS, you want less lag, most TN screen will be faster than alot of the IPS screens in this regard.
    Have a look at this monitor, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00SL4J1M0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    its 480stg and the quality is top notch.
    Throw in a fury card , https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-Radeon-Express-4096-Bit-Graphics/dp/B018Y0IHA2/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1463068437&sr=1-1&keywords=fury
    and you will have a top notch system that should last for years.
    Admitadly, it wont be the newest tech on the market but for what your doing it will be ace.
    Invest the extra cash on future upgrades for your pc or even a newer gpu in 2 years and your set.

You could also wait for the new AMD cards but that might be a few months away. There is rumored to be an announcement in the next 2-3 weeks so maybe wait till then. The benchmarks for the 1080 will be out by then too so you can judge what your geting for your money.

Appreciate the input but I am sticking with nvidia I had an AMD card not too long ago and I didn't like the software side and had problems with certain games and driver, I have mates that still have similar problems with their AMD GPU's.

Wizard! wrote: »

That is smooth af hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01CCHBTQ2?keywords=Crossover%202795&pc_redir=T1&qid=1459438064&sr=8-1&tag=amazon0c83-21#

27 1440p ips, pos 100hz+. 348 euro.

No idea about the Dell but quick once over spec/price wise looks pretty good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Go with the dell S2716DG.
    Asus and Acer offerings are a lottery.

I have an AOC 144hz 1080 Gsync [TN panel] sitting beside an 1440 IPS 60hz and the 144hz 1080 blows the 60hz 1440 IPS out of the water for gaming, simply no comparison.
    No gamer has seen smooth gameplay until they have experienced 144hz Gsync, its a total game changer that really needs to be seen to be believed.
    Also the difference in colours between a good TN and an IPS is very small certainly nowhere near what some claim.

As your planning on going the Nvidia route 144hz and gsync is a must and that Dell is just perfect.

• Advertisement

Appreciate the input but I am sticking with nvidia I had an AMD card not too long ago and I didn't like the software side and had problems with certain games and driver, I have mates that still have similar problems with their AMD GPU's.

Cool

Good luck with the 1080 card so, give the 144hz Tn panels some thought as they will blow the current IPS panels at the same price point away.

Be sure to stick up pics after you have all done.
    :)

Cool

Good luck with the 1080 card so, give the 144hz Tn panels some thought as they will blow the current IPS panels at the same price point away.

Be sure to stick up pics after you have all done.
    :)

Sure will thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dcully wrote: »
    Go with the dell S2716DG.
    Asus and Acer offerings are a lottery.

I have an AOC 144hz 1080 Gsync [TN panel] sitting beside an 1440 IPS 60hz and the 144hz 1080 blows the 60hz 1440 IPS out of the water for gaming, simply no comparison.
    No gamer has seen smooth gameplay until they have experienced 144hz Gsync, its a total game changer that really needs to be seen to be believed.
    Also the difference in colours between a good TN and an IPS is very small certainly nowhere near what some claim.

As your planning on going the Nvidia route 144hz and gsync is a must and that Dell is just perfect.

Is there a comparable offering from AOC for Freesync?

I've a R9 290, and this new movement in the monitor space is really interesting. I'd probably prio the hz over resolution, I'm perfectly happy at 1080p.

Wondering if its worth it and available on my current setup.

*Little google I think returns AOC G2460PF which is Freesync. And am I reading that right, €240 for a 24inch model? That is not as expensive as I thought

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah the jump from 60hz to 144hz is a lot more noticeable than 1080 to 1440 ,for me hz and response time is number one.
    Add in gsync or in your case freesync and its a great experience.

Ofcourse a 1440 144hz gsync would be even better but that would mean more GPU horsepower than my current 970gtx to sustain 144 fps.

I got my monitor!!! I went with the Acer Predator XB270HU, I think they sent me the wrong one because the box says the display is IPS and I bought the TN version. This thing is unreal can't believe how good it is hahaha sound lads

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tun_80

Im currently using an acer XB270H, would highly recommend it, its a 27" 144hz g-sync 1080p, theres a 1440p version aswell, think it just has a U at the end instead of H, did a lot of research before buying it and i love it, have another older Acer beside it and it makes the colours on that one look like crap! Its a TN panel but the viewing angles are excellent, so much so that i started questioning whether it actually was a TN, but it is. Should be around the €500 mark.

Lol didnt even see that u had got it and posted suggesting it, excellent choice, you will be happy!

Tun_80 wrote: »
    Im currently using an acer XB270H, would highly recommend it, its a 27" 144hz g-sync 1080p, theres a 1440p version aswell, think it just has a U at the end instead of H, did a lot of research before buying it and i love it, have another older Acer beside it and it makes the colours on that one look like crap! Its a TN panel but the viewing angles are excellent, so much so that i started questioning whether it actually was a TN, but it is. Should be around the €500 mark.

Yeah I have the HU version the box says IPS but the website says TN don't care thing is stunning regardless

Just make sure G-sync is turned on if you already havent in the nvidia control panel and the refresh rate needs to be changed to 144hz, will be set to 60.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭tosh_2006

i'm also thinking about upgrading my monitor from 1080 to 1440 i was looking at the Dell UltraSharp U2715H (540 euro) is this a good moniter or can i get better for the same price range?

Advertisement