Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know about Community Service?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Conor84 wrote: »
    I have to meet the probation officer to make sure I'm suitable for it and then back to court for the judge to confirm it. Can't see why I wouldn't be. He said 120 hours in lieu of 3 months in prison so I better be!

How the fuck can 120 hours of community service be equated with 3 months in prison?

120 hours is 3 weeks based on a 40 hour week and you go home in the evening versus 3 months in a cell?

Who in their right mind would opt for 3 months in the big house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

HensVassal wrote: »
    How the fuck can 120 hours of community service be equated with 3 months in prison?

120 hours is 3 weeks based on a 40 hour week and you go home in the evening versus 3 months in a cell?

Free food and shelter for 3 months, especially if you’re heading into a cold winter. Go in and visit the family and friends, bet it sounds OK to some...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It would be highly unlikely that you would do three months inside if you were sentenced to three months. You might be let out after a few weeks maybe. I'd take the community service though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just don't piss about and it'll be straight forward, a lot of Probation officers are reluctant to bring the case back before a judge so if you get to that point don't expect any leniency. You'll be given a choice of placement, at least if you're in Dublin and any skills/trades you have will be put to use by the PO. it's hardly the most engaging work and will be in a group most likely but it beats doing a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Too many Conors on this website, confusing the fúck out of me. :pac:

I knew of some people who had to do the charity buckets for cancer and whatnot outside of shops / supermarkets.

Can't spell convict without the con..
    Conor/ Convict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I don't think it's as straightforward as an either/or. They don't want you to take the option of 3 months in prison, we don't have enough prison space for one thing. It's really just the stick used to make you actually do the community service, rather than not bother your arse turning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,142 ✭✭✭✭Esel

gramar wrote: »
    What did you do? And don't say paint railings. Why were you given community service 20 years ago. We all want to know.

No, we don't. We are not all nosy.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement