Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody know about Community Service?

Options
  • 08-05-2016 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

I was in court last week and I have to do 120 hours community service. I have to meet a Probation Officer later on this week.

Anybody know about it or how it works? Just wondering about what I might have to do and if you have to do it with others or if you can do it on your own?

I don't think I've ever noticed people doing Community Service so I'm assuming that you don't go round in orange bibs like in England.

Do they take into account if you have a job and can only do a few hours a week?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭luftmensch

Don't drop the soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

You'll be obliged to service OAP's that haven't had a jump for quite a while.
    Make sure you have a good bath tonight sonny...

Sorry, live in a court area where the Judge is not fond of CS, he prefers either poor box or conviction and fine, jail in rare circumstances but only as a last resort. I'd say the probation officer will have more info than anyone here, in fact surprised you have received CS without meeting one.

Either way, good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

A mate of mine had to do it, ended up having to paint railings on a local school, with the janitor of the school once a week, 5 hours, for 8 weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Your probation officer will source your placement, if you work full time you can do a Saturday. Generally you will be painting places such as schools etc. However if you know a community group, or somewhere you can ask, maybe something a bit more meaningful then probation should be more than willing to facilitate this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Sorry, live in a court area where the Judge is not fond of CS, he prefers either poor box or conviction and fine, jail in rare circumstances but only as a last resort. I'd say the probation officer will have more info than anyone here, in fact surprised you have received CS without meeting one.

I thought you were the OP for a second! :eek::o

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

I have to meet the probation officer to make sure I'm suitable for it and then back to court for the judge to confirm it. Can't see why I wouldn't be. He said 120 hours in lieu of 3 months in prison so I better be!

Ruu wrote: »
    I thought you were the OP for a second! :eek::o

I've just seen his name and...erm...it's curious alright!

But he's not me. Unless I've enter some wormhole in the time/space continuum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 726 ✭✭✭RIGHTisRIGHT

Conor84 wrote: »
    I have to meet the probation officer to make sure I'm suitable for it and then back to court for the judge to confirm it. Can't see why I wouldn't be. He said 120 hours in lieu of 3 months in prison so I better be!

You opened this can of worms OP so what did you do?
    What kind of person are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Any relation to the o.p.?

Edit: Just saw Ruu's reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I've just seen his name and...erm...it's curious alright!

But he's not me. Unless I've enter some wormhole in the time/space continuum.

That or...

THEY HAVE THE WRONG CONOR! DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNN! Justice for Conor84!!!

Regular person.

Drunk after a night out and got into a fight nearly a year ago now. Was charged with assault.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Any relation to the o.p.?

The other guy joined 11 years ago I think it's just a coincidence.
    Giving the subject matter I doubt the guy here 11 years will be too happy with people mixing the two of them up.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

You opened this can of worms OP so what did you do?
    What kind of person are you?

What does it matter, it's not relevant to the OPs question.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    What does it matter, it's not relevant to the OPs question.

Point taking but lets be honest we were all thinking it.:)

Got into a fight were you defending yourself or attacking it makes a big difference.

I know. I was in the wrong - not making excuses. I pleaded guilty in court. I have to pay compensation too. I can't change what happened so not much more I can do

I know. I was in the wrong - not making excuses. I pleaded guilty in court. I have to pay compensation too. I can't change what happened so not much more I can do

Well your honest thank you and I hope everybody emerged from it without long lasting consequences.

As for community service I have no idea it might be worth having a Google session as I doubt community service is a state secret.

Community Service work can include:
    · ground clearance work and general gardening projects;
    · graffiti removal; environmental work;
    · recycling projects;
    · basic building maintenance and landscaping;
    · improvements to park and community facilities;
    · painting and decorating in community centres etc;
    · assisting voluntary and community clubs, facilities and bodies;
    · working with individuals or groups in need;
    · supporting local initiatives;

The rest can be found here OP.

http://www.probation.ie/pws/websitepublishingdec09.nsf/Content/How+Community+Service+Works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I was bold when I was younger and got community service. (dont ask.) I was working so did it once a week on saturdays. I had to paint the railings on a local community centre. As it happened, it rained most days, so the guy in charge sent us home but put us down for the hours. I think I probably did 2 days painting in total!

pablo128 wrote: »
    I was bold when I was younger and got community service. (dont ask.) I was working so did it once a week on saturdays. I had to paint the railings on a local community centre. As it happened, it rained most days, so the guy in charge sent us home but put us down for the hours. I think I probably did 2 days painting in total!

That part in bold is what the OP should have put in his opening post.
    Some very nosy people on boards.:D

• Advertisement

I will probably be doing it like that on Saturdays so. Were there many of you doing it together? I suppose I should be hoping for a wet Summer so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Learn some songs. Pretend your in a chain gang. Turn up in an orange jumpsuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I will probably be doing it like that on Saturdays so. Were there many of you doing it together? I suppose I should be hoping for a wet Summer so

It was more than 20 years ago so the memory is a bit vague but I think there was about 8 people or so doing it at the one time.

You'll be fine though. Hopefully you get so much of a pain in the bollix from doing it, that you don't end up in court again!:pac:

It was more than 20 years ago so the memory is a bit vague but I think there was about 8 people or so doing it at the one time.

You'll be fine though. Hopefully you get so much of a pain in the bollix from doing it, that you don't end up in court again!:pac:

Well have to go back to court after this meeting with Probation to get the sentence confirmed. I've been in court before but for minor stuff but having this hanging over me for nearly a year has been a 'pain in the bollix' for sure. Just want to get it over with now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

What did you do? And don't say paint railings. Why were you given community service 20 years ago. We all want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I was in court last week and I have to do 120 hours community service. I have to meet a Probation Officer later on this week.

..I thought you were having a very weird conversation with yourself for a minute there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Too many Conors on this website, confusing the fúck out of me. :pac:

I knew of some people who had to do the charity buckets for cancer and whatnot outside of shops / supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I done community service a few years back. also got 120 hours. jasus twas over before I knew it :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

You should be looking out for your younger brother.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭ShiddyArze

I'd to plant vegetables at my local "disability centre". 8 hours every Saturday. Did it with 7 or 8 other criminals. I only did about half of my hours, the superviser was sound and ticked off my hours even when I wasn't there

Advertisement