Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to ban weather forecasts?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Weather forecasts are generally very accurate up to 48 hours ahead

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Why not just ban bad weather instead of the forecasts.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

ShiddyArze wrote: »
    What is more annoying is people throwing around the word heatwave..

"Heatwave this Sunday/Monday,"

A heat wave is an extended period of above average temperatures, about 5 days

A heatwave is five consecutive days with maximum temperature over 25 degrees Celsius. Even during that mad hot spell in July 2013 only 9 weather stations reported 'heatwave' conditions, and most were in the west. Shannon, Moorepark, Ballyhaise, Mullingar, Newport, Gurteen, Mountdillon, Knock and Claremorris.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭ShiddyArze

Duiske wrote:
    A heatwave is five consecutive days with maximum temperature over 25 degrees Celsius. Even during that mad hot spell in July 2013 only 9 weather stations reported 'heatwave' conditions, and most were in the west. Shannon, Moorepark, Ballyhaise, Mullingar, Newport, Gurteen, Mountdillon, Knock and Claremorris.

Yes, 25c would be above average for Summer months.. For May though, 5 days of 20c would be a heatwave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

Met Eireann are usually good at forecasting up to 3-4 days ahead. Anything after that is guesswork.

Roof the place is the only option :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Lord. It can rain have sun and have a downpour of snow all within a few hours, I love when people act surprised there's rain.
    Like genuine shock to find this water like substance falling from the sky.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

12-24 hours at most could be predicted with a certain degree of accuracy, but further than that? It's all just smoke and mirrors really. Ban it though? Not before you ban the relic from the past that is the angelus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

osarusan wrote: »
    What I hate about weather forecasts is how they spend the first half of them telling us what kind of day we had.

"Today was bright with sunny spells across most of the country, but occasional showers in the south east, with temperatures rising to 15 degrees in places."

We know! That's not a forecast! It's a....backcast....hindcast...whatever, we don't need it.

I disagree. I propose that they should only be allowed to give the forecast after the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

What folk don't realise is the natural acceleration of wind change. Yes, it might be blowing up your dress at a north-easterly for 10 minutes and then it changes direction and blows your hat off from the south-east.

I predict a decent week in the Midlands for good sunshine and light winds, They will have it the best, and that's for-sure, but the East will be sunny with an average accumulation of cumulonimbus clouds but with a decent gap for good sunshine.

Come Wednesday, it will feel much cooler and fresher with a nice smooth breeze moving across your body. On the 22nd of may it will return to much cooler weather and top temperatures from the 22nd will be 16° C.

Did I forget to mention the rain ? I better not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We need moderators to ban trolls in the media who say a 'heatwave' or whatever based on them having trained for an arts degree, and thinking they can sex thing up by being sensational, when all Met Eireann said was 'temperatures would be above average' and 'it won't be completely settled'.

Some people are just gullible and believe what non weather professionals say. Met Eireann never used the word 'heatwave'.
    The only people who believe we are getting a heatwave are the same type of people who are simple and think things like in the US when it comes to politics: Democrats = good, Republicans = bad because the media tells them that and they are gullible.
    It is like hearing in the media (not from Met Eireann) that we are going to have a heatwave and believing it.

RobertKK wrote: »
    We need moderators to ban trolls in the media who say a 'heatwave' or whatever based on them having trained for an arts degree, and thinking they can sex thing up by being sensational, when all Met Eireann said was 'temperatures would be above average' and 'it won't be completely settled'.

Some people are just gullible and believe what non weather professionals say. Met Eireann never used the word 'heatwave'.
    The only people who believe we are getting a heatwave are the same type of people who are simple and think things like in the US when it comes to politics: Democrats = good, Republicans = bad because the media tells them that and they are gullible.
    It is like hearing in the media (not from Met Eireann) that we are going to have a heatwave and believing it.

It is common sense now that all folk understand what the tabloids do. The only reason why tabloids and news-spread exist is the fact that they see a story and spend 30 minutes blowing it up into a mountain of gigantic proportions and unrelated to the real story, but we all know that.

Hail Mercury. Transition of the planet Mercury later from 12pm to past 7pm, don't forget to use those solar filters.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is common sense now that all folk understand what the tabloids do. The only reason why tabloids and news-spread exist is the fact that they see a story and spend 30 minutes blowing it up into a mountain of gigantic proportions and unrelated to the real story, but we all know that.

Hail Mercury. Transition of the planet Mercury later from 12pm to past 7pm, don't forget to use those solar filters.

Yet some believed it as we should apparently ban weather forecasts. :p

I use to have a solar filter for my telescope and I meant to buy a new one, no sun gazing today... :(

I think scientifically speaking, the weather forecast from RTE should be separate from the end of the news bulletin, basically 3 professional weather casts per day not associated with the news stories.,and with a lot more information and time included to counties. Make it interesting and go deep into the satellite data as well. Get the folk interested.

RTE weather is bad. The new weather lady lately knows her stuff, but if RTE allowed her 10 minutes or maybe 15 minutes to do the weather she could have the time to explain even more interesting parts of the weather systems.

Oh, one more thing. If RTE think that folk do not understand the science regarding weather and weather systems, then they know nothing. Folk are deeply into the weather as it affects us all daily, so as I said... bring a bit more of science and geography into the weather streams and folk will take it in. The lazy weather forecasting these days especially in 2016 at this time is lame and not very educational imo.

Don't just tell the weather and be gone, explain all the information as to why the weather system/cold-front/warm-front just changed from 24 hours ago, make it interesting. It's like everything now in life... there is not time, every-one needs to work to a dead-line, no time to explain anything as you have to move forward post haste, no time to explain the interesting things to gather people to your broadcasts. But I suppose they don't care as they take our money anyway so they don't have to do the above.

Enjoy the Sun, it's going to be nice out there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭screamer

Enjoy the Sun, it's going to be nice out there today.

HA! It's overcast and cloudy here, from the predicted 21 degrees to about 15 at the moment. That's Guess Eireann for you.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭ShiddyArze

13c here today, highest yesterday was 17. No sunshine at all, Certainly not "above average" as was predicted by Met all week.

I think people on here who are interested in weather predictions will defend Met, its obviously pure guess work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I think the real question is why does RTE spend so much tax payers money on weather forecasting.
    It's freely available on the internet these days, fair enough we should hold on to met eireann for the big stuff, but what the fúck does RTE need meteorologists for?
    Go to weather.com - get the forecast for free, hire a sexy presenter to read it out, TV3 style. I'm guessing sexy presenters are a bit easier (and cheaper) to get hold of than meteorologists.
    A small fortune saved for the hard pressed tax payer - just think of the pay rise that Joe Duffy could get if we didn't have to pay the weather department to guess at the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

get a weather stone, very good at telling weather :)

http://www.funnysigns.net/rip-batman/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Go to weather.com - get the forecast for free, hire a sexy presenter to read it out, TV3 style. I'm guessing sexy presenters are a bit easier (and cheaper) to get hold of than meteorologists.

Please no. Please, just, no.

Covered in a halo of deep deep misty humid cloud splooge, encompassing and hard to breath this south-easterly dry air. Looking forward to the 22nd of May, back to normal temperatures from the west atlantic flowing along the jet-stream to a home near you.

We need some serious thunderstorms as Ireland is lacking with these when you consider the lightning storms of the eighties, remember that one, it looked like the apocalypse it was that good.

All we need is for this warm front to push up north and a cold low pressure system to move south and combine into a mother of all thunderstorms and lightning. The battle of the cold-front against the warm humid front meeting half-way. We need some serious light shows here because the last big one was I think 1985.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭George Michael

i thought it was supposed to be sunny today.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,072 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

RobertKK wrote: »

Great post and dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

screamer wrote: »
    HA! It's overcast and cloudy here, from the predicted 21 degrees to about 15 at the moment. That's Guess Eireann for you.

I checked it yesterday for Dublin, pretty much spot on for today.
    When the weather is changeable it's impossible to predict more than a couple of days in advance. The odd time it might be dry all week, or scattered showers all week, but even then 5 days in advance something might change near the end of that forecast.

I think people want good weather so bad they'll just see the positives in the forecast. They'll pick out a few key words like "dry" and "22 degrees" and ignore "buy possible outbreaks of rain later" or "highest temperature ranging".

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

I always swear by the Norwegian forecasts :) The guys up there usually call it pretty well..

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

maudgonner wrote: »
    Please no. Please, just, no.

You don't like sexy presenters?:confused::confused::confused:
    Say it ain't so!

You don't like sexy presenters?:confused::confused::confused:
    Say it ain't so!

I like presenters who don't just read things from teleprompter. Intelligence and knowledge beats looks any day.

Also, Gerald Fleming - Phoarrrrrr!

screamer wrote: »

I just checked the temperature and it's 22 degrees here in Galway. Some clouds in the sky, but definitely not overcast.

25 degrees in Donegal, apparently. And that's where the Met office predicted would have the best of the weather today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I think the real question is why does RTE spend so much tax payers money on weather forecasting.
    It's freely available on the internet these days, fair enough we should hold on to met eireann for the big stuff, but what the fúck does RTE need meteorologists for?
    Not everybody can work the computer internetworks, and some just don't want to. If you're watching the telly, it's easier to stick with your old habit of watching the news, followed by the weather. People would go mad if they got rid of it!

And why do the BBC or Sky or ITV spend money on weather forecasting? Okay, with the last two it's not directly tax payers money, but we all pay for it eventually (ads and such).

Finally, I just can't understand how Jean Byrne hasn't been poached from RTÉ yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

A small fortune saved for the hard pressed tax payer - just think of the pay rise that Joe Duffy could get if we didn't have to pay the weather department to guess at the weather.

Eh, you know that the forecast is done by Met Eireann not RTE so where is there extra money being spent. The presenters on TV work for ME not RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

All week they had been saying we were in for a heatwave with temps in the 20s, then today they look out the window and say o yeah it's raining and send out a tweet. Proves my point.

No no, that would be the tabloids feeding you that sh1t. Listen to reliable sources and you would be grand.

Advertisement