Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to ban weather forecasts?

Options
  • 07-05-2016 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Was really looking forward to the heatwave this weekend. I open the curtains today and it is lashing rain and cold. So sick of how often these forecasters get it badly wrong.

The weather can only be accurately predicted for the next 12 hours, trying to predict anything further out is completely pointless, yet rte spend millions of taxpayers money doing so every year, about time this farce was put to an end!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Weather forecasting is simply tea leaf reading for people that drink coffee.

Spend enough time doing it and you'll guess right as often as wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What I hate about weather forecasts is how they spend the first half of them telling us what kind of day we had.

"Today was bright with sunny spells across most of the country, but occasional showers in the south east, with temperatures rising to 15 degrees in places."

We know! That's not a forecast! It's a....backcast....hindcast...whatever, we don't need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

PARlance wrote: »

It's raining here since before that was tweeted, and you can't get any more north than that. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Sure isn't it God above that makes the weather.

If ye bloody heathens went to mass or lit a few candles it would be lovely out today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Was really looking forward to the heatwave this weekend. I open the curtains today and it is lashing rain and cold. So sick of how often these forecasters get it badly wrong.

The weather can only be accurately predicted for the next 12 hours, trying to predict anything further out is completely pointless, yet rte spend millions of taxpayers money doing so every year, about time this farce was put to an end!
    I checked met.ie on Tuesday evening, they got it spot on for the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

All week they had been saying we were in for a heatwave with temps in the 20s, then today they look out the window and say o yeah it's raining and send out a tweet. Proves my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

When it comes to weather forecasts, there's only the one bloke I can stand, and that's Ollie Williams.

Short, just skips the drama and gets to the bloody point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

No OP the weather forecast shouldn't be banned, how would i know if it is safe to hang out my clothes on the washing line without the weather forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

In fairness after the 6 o clock news on RTE1 they predicted just this. Improves tomorrow with sunny spells but heavy showers.

• Advertisement

All week they had been saying we were in for a heatwave with temps in the 20s, then today they look out the window and say o yeah it's raining and send out a tweet. Proves my point.

They had someone on radio on Thursday saying that people/media were getting a bit carried away. It'll be nice but not a heatwave was the jist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Rain was actually forecast for this morning so you can't say they got it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

They had someone on radio on Thursday saying that people/media were getting a bit carried away. It'll be nice but not a heatwave was the jist.

But it ain't nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

But it ain't nice

That's subjective.

Might be a welcome change to a Saudi Goat herder for example.

But it ain't nice

Give her time Sunny.
    Very nice here, in the West.

That's subjective.

Yep. I don't like hot weather. Even temperatures in the late teens make me feel uncomfortable. I'm lying in bed listening to the rain and it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭appledrop

In fairness they have been saying all week that today would be bad but good weather woukd come Sun, Mon + Tues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I'm on my holidays and it's 36 degrees if it makes ya feel better lads.

I'm on my holidays and it's 36 degrees if it makes ya feel better lads.

It makes me feel pretty good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

They predicted the heavy rain today a few days ago. Saturday is the storm, Sunday is the heatwave.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭ShiddyArze

What is more annoying is people throwing around the word heatwave..

"Heatwave this Sunday/Monday,"

A heat wave is an extended period of above average temperatures, about 5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

We need to ban people who don't understand weather forecasts moaning about the weather forecast.
    I know people who laugh when the met office predict scattered showers, as if they're somehow covering themselves for every type of weather. As if a day can only be fully wet or dry, the idea that it can be mostly dry with the odd shower is too difficult to comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

it was forecast for Sunday (maybe) Monday and Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

A lot of people seem to glance at a headline, then extrapolate their own forecast, then blame Met Eireann when they haven't actually read the forecast that is easily available to read.

It's like every winter - "snow on the way". But when I check, there "may be some snow on high ground in the north-west".

I was mapping out my weekend a few days ago and knew there was rain due in the east from the early hours of this morning.

But, yeah, ban weather forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't thing banning is the way to go, and I'm an evil moderator!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Is this winter going to be the coldest in record yet?

The forcasts are fine, it's idiots who exaggerate are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,237 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

do away with M.E.T. Eireann.

sunny spells and scattered showers is our weather forecast every single day. they may say it in a different way, but listen hard and you'll see that's basically what they forecast every day.

in this country you need to bring a brolly with you regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Saturday has been promised rainy by the Met Office and other weather sources for most of the week. I know this because my fella is golfing today for the first time in ages and I told him it would be rainy days ago. The rest of the weekend and early next week is forecast to be better.

I'm guessing you read a clickbaity headline in a paper at the start of the week and went with that, never thinking to check the forecast in the intervening time?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The continued dumbing down of higher level mathematics in state exams is to blame for this.

With a numerate population versed in the statistical art the metrological services would be able to present the uncertainty of our climate in a rigorously valid format vis a vis "we are 90% certain that there is an 85% chance that the average precipitation in the greater Dublin area would exceed 0.1mm/hr averaged over a period not exceeding 12 hours"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

"These forecasters"? Do you mean article writers in the indo or actual forecasters from Met Éireann? The latter got it right, the former got people talking about their headlines (just like they wanted).

That said, the weather will be better after today (as forecast). Rain won't be totally absent though.

Advertisement