Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been to Tokyo?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Was there for New Years in 2015, for 2 and a bit weeks... incredible city. The food is excellent, street side vendors cook everything fresh to order in front of you, transport (subway especially) is reliable, cheap and easy to find your way around. Roppongi, Kabukicho or Shinjuku is where most would go for the nightlife, and its pretty lively. You'll find everything very convenient... except if you're hoping to catch a subway train when everyone has just finished work.

Sightseeing wise, if you're an anime or manga fan or gaming fan your first stop would be Akihabara or a tour around Studio Ghibli. The Imperial Palace in the heart of the city is well worth a stroll around, Yasukuni Shrine/Meiji Shrine/Asakusa Shrine, Tokyo Skytree (gives you a magnificent view all around the city), Tsukiji fish market in the south east of the city, Ueno Park, Tokyo Dome (sumo wrestling) etc...

There's lots to see and do int the city itself, but if you're up for a bit of light travel, Mt. Fuji is within bus or train distance and the Hakone area nearby is also worth checking out. Yokohama, if you're inclined, is a short trip from Tokyo station too. I would also highly suggest a trip to Kamakura if you have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Lived there for 4 years.

Amazing food, so amazing that even without making efforts to visit very good restaurants, you will still get fantastic food. Cheap accommodation (if that is what you are after - of course every range is available, and every kind, try a capsule hotel if that's your thing), superbly amazing public transport.

You mentioned autumn - if you are there in September, you could try and see the Sumo tournament. If it's later than that, you will get caught up in the koyo frenzy as people travel far and wide to see the leaves in their autumn colours.

Simply strolling around Harajuku, watching the crowds at Shibuya crossing, going to the park and museums at Ueno, going to Meiji Jingu, heading to the older sections such as Asakusa, visiting the Tokyo Metropolitan gov't building and going to the free observatory at a top floor (forget which floor, and especially worthwhile at night) will be fascinating I'd say. Tokyo Disneyland is outside Tokyo, if that is something you are interested in.

As somebody else mentioned, you can make a day trip to Kamakura which really is worth a visit. The trains will get you there punctually and cheaply. There is a wealth of temples and shrines there, as well as the Big Buddha. If you do visit the Big Buddha, make sure you have a look at the crazy weapons shop at the entrance.

If you are interested, a day trip to Yokohama will be interesting, and there is a fantastic aquarium and theme park called Hakkeijima which is brilliant. There's an autonomous monorail that gets you there. You could also visit Sankeien gardens, which are not well-known but one of my favourite places in that part of Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Yes, I've been to Tokyo on a number of occasions, both in a professional and personal capacity. It's an astonishing city in one of the most interesting countries in the world. If I'm travelling there with work then I'll always try and take an extra day or two to just potter around.

Us foodies are in paradise in Tokyo. From a bowl of ramen at lunch to dining in a 3 star Michelin restaurant for dinner; one is always guaranteed to eat extraordinary food. I know of no other culture where the joy and sustenance of great food is so intrinsically linked with the land and sea that surrounds them. Suffice to say it isn't a chicken fillet roll out of Spar.

Shut up Aongus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Was there for 4 days 6 years ago.
    Agree with everything everyone has said, but would also recommend going to akihabara if youre into gaming/manga. Even if youre not, its gloriously weird. All the cafes and the cosplay people on the street trying to get you in. Also pachinko. Pachinko evrywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

No. I can't boast I've been to that place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BOHtox wrote: »
    We'll always have Paris Tokyo

On 9-10 March 1945, 279 USAAF bombers dropped 1,700 tons of incendiary bombs on the city. This destroyed c. 16 square miles of the city and killed about 100,000 people — more than the straight-off deaths caused by the atomic-bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki combined.

Tokyo is the meeting place for three different tectonic plates. It's been described as "The city waiting to die". Also, Japan contains ten percent of the world's active volcanoes. Fun!

The Great Kantō earthquake and a strong typhoon struck Tokyo Bay at about the same time as the earthquake. Estimated casualties totalled about 142,800 deaths.

And of course,
    Godzilla.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I was in Tokyo once. Just for a few hours.
    I have dyslexia.
    Was meant to be in Kyoto.

Kyoto is the anagram lovers Tokyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,273 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Autumn is fine, great place to visit.

Advertisement