Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been to Tokyo?

Options
  • 06-05-2016 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

And if so what did you think of the city in general? Cost, food, nightlife, culture, sightseeing etc. I was thinking about going to Tokyo in the Autumn.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

IndridCold wrote: »
    And if so what did you think of the city in general? Cost, food, nightlife, culture, sightseeing etc. I was thinking about going to Tokyo in the Autumn.

Thanks for your help.

I met Jackie Chan like 400 times when I went over!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

smash wrote: »
    I met Jackie Chan like 400 times when I went over!

Thats very interesting since jackie chan is from and living in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Great place, still very warm in autumn. Food was very good everywhere I went. Be prepared for small hotel rooms. It's also not as expensive as I'd been led to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

*Two people sitting on a park bench at dusk.*

"Have you ever been to Toyko?"
    "The dawn there brings peace."
    "It will be done."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Oooh Jackie Chan cant visit Tokyo when Smash visits Tokyo?

Calm down North Korea! Racist!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Magnifique, as the locals say.

I met Mr.Miyagi a load of times too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Magnifique, as the locals say.

In Japanese

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭marketty

A great bunch of lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

In Japanese

[Squints]magnifique[/squint]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Saving to go, my big baby is going to Japan for a year in next year and I want to visit her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Oh, I've been to Georgia and California and anywhere I could run
    Took the hand of a preacher man
    and we made love in the sun
    But I ran out of places and friendly faces
    Because I had to be free
    I've been to paradise but I've never been to me...tokyo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

IndridCold wrote: »

Thanks for your help.

Was there last Spring and it was pleasant when the sun was out, though rained a lot. Not sure what Autumn is like, but I've been told by locals and ex-pats that it's best to avoid Summer as it's unpleasantly humid, so I think you've picked a good time of year. Maybe get an umbrella though.

Food- excellent pretty much everywhere I went (I was in Shibuya and Shinjuku). Nightlife- didn't see so much (work trip), but a co-worker went for longer and had a great time with karaoke. Lots of places to go anyway. Culture- it's everywhere. Good shops too- have a look in Takashimaya stores. Didn't get to do much sightseeing but there are some beautiful parks around the city.

Come to think of it, I really need to go again and do it better this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's big in Japan alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

McGruber wrote: »
    Oooh Jackie Chan cant visit Tokyo when Smash visits Tokyo?

Calm down North Korea! Racist!

Kim Jon Un can beat up Jackie Chan according to North Korean media.

Kim Jon Un can beat up Jackie Chan according to North Korean media.

Just by looking at him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Autumn is a great time to go. I was there around Halloween and it was warm enough to be in a t shirt most days. And only rained once. Not sure if that was unusual but it seems to fall in a nice spot outside of the rainy season, after the sticky summer and before the winter.

Expensive but not more so than places like NY or San Francisco. Lots to see and do. The place is absolutely massive. You can be in a park, then hop on a subway for a couple of spots and be in the middle of a neon jungle the next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

I was in Tokyo once. Just for a few hours.
    I have dyslexia.
    Was meant to be in Kyoto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

No, that's Jackie Patsy Chan you're thinking of. He meant Jackie Seamus Chan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I've been there for work, it's quite an interesting place. Very very busy in the downtown area. If you visit any of the locals in their own homes, their customs can seem quite strange, but they are very friendly people.

One thing to remember is what Ian Rush said about living in Italy when he moved to Juventus from Liverpool...

'It's was like living in a foreign country'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Keep my head down
    Look away from the flash
    I got a planet full of people saying I got a smash
    Me I don't mind
    Cause it's all for the fans
    And the next thing you know I'm big in Japan

S. T. A. R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Hoping to do the Tokyo marathon next year! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Yes, I've been to Tokyo on a number of occasions, both in a professional and personal capacity. It's an astonishing city in one of the most interesting countries in the world. If I'm travelling there with work then I'll always try and take an extra day or two to just potter around.

Us foodies are in paradise in Tokyo. From a bowl of ramen at lunch to dining in a 3 star Michelin restaurant for dinner; one is always guaranteed to eat extraordinary food. I know of no other culture where the joy and sustenance of great food is so intrinsically linked with the land and sea that surrounds them. Suffice to say it isn't a chicken fillet roll out of Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yes, but what is?

Also, it's ' Suffice it to say'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

eviltwin wrote: »
    Saving to go, my big baby is going to Japan for a year in next year and I want to visit her.

Sumo wrestler?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

We'll always have Paris Tokyo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

eviltwin wrote: »

You're sending an infant to Japan on their own?? Japan is a safe country, but this is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Awesome city, but so big it's almost impossible to see everything. Harajuku is a must for the general bizarre-o ness factor alone. It's east meets west in the most surreal interpretation of it you can imagine.

Karaoke is funny but the japanese tend to only do Michael Jackson or Elvis sings. It's hilarious at first but wears thin pretty quickly.

Food is good if you like Japanese food. If you don't you're going to find it difficult to find good western food.

Try and get out and see the countryside and temples if you're into that kind of thing.

You can get anything you want in Tokyo.....

Been twice, would love to go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yeah, I was there in 2007 and one of the nicest countries that I have visited.

Tokyo is a great city. Good food, nightlife... It's all there. At the time I was there, it was around the same price as Dublin for most things. Eating out was actually a bit cheaper, but not much.

We went to Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima on that trip. All 3 worth adding into your trip if you can. Shinkansen bullet train with a J-Rail pass is a must. Much cheaper than if you bought tickets each time.

Advertisement