Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Minister for Transport

Options
  • 06-05-2016 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Shane Ross - thoughts?

Shows how little FG value it I suppose, not a good sign for the short term govt. anyway. Will keep all projects to the end for the next election

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Interesting choice. He's been highly critical of CIE in the past. One would hope he'd be able to use his independent alliance leverage to get some decent projects through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Patser

Hasn't he been very active and critical regards toll roads, especially the M50. Wonder if he'll do anything there now he's got some sort of power over them? It'll still be primarily Dept of Environment controlled yes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Patser wrote: »
    Hasn't he been very active and critical regards toll roads, especially the M50. Wonder if he'll do anything there now he's got some sort of power over them? It'll still be primarily Dept of Environment controlled yes?

Hasn't he been very active and critical regards just about everything? He's made a career out of whinging and back-biting, and relying on the short memories of people to forget that the 'scourge of the bankers' spent the previous decade bigging up Fingleton and Fitzpatrick.

I've a feeling that he's deliberately been given the poison chalice, given the industrial relations atmosphere in that sector, and he doesn't have the brains to realise it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

An extremely interesting choice indeed. Naturally, his first job will probably be to try and sort out the LUAS mess.
    Would like to see him doing something about decreasing bus and train fares as well.
    He has indeed been a strong critic of CIE in the past. Hopefully now he's the new minister for transport, he can now actually do something about it.

Hasn't he been very active and critical regards just about everything? He's made a career out of whinging and back-biting, and relying on the short memories of people to forget that the 'scourge of the bankers' spent the previous decade bigging up Fingleton and Fitzpatrick.

I've a feeling that he's deliberately been given the poison chalice, given the industrial relations atmosphere in that sector, and he doesn't have the brains to realise it yet.

maybe he does. who knows? he may surprise all of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think he should make a good change, he has been very vocal on roads and in particular M50 and toll road deals that were done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Hopefully implements a DART service is major cities like Galway, Cork ect.

Extened rush hour DARTS to 10 carriages. The overcrowding is a joke.

Naturally, his first job will probably be to try and sort out the LUAS mess. .

How will he do that? He doesn't employ the Luas drivers. They are employed by a private business that has a contract with the NTA to provide services. He can't put any money on the table without breaching procurement law. Is he going to give them a jolly good talking to?

How will he do that? He doesn't employ the Luas drivers. They are employed by a private business that has a contract with the NTA to provide services. He can't put any money on the table without breaching procurement law. Is he going to give them a jolly good talking to?

true enough. possibly. who knows?. As you correctly say, Transdev are indeed a private company. Different mindset therefore applies. anyway, should be an interesting appointment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,639 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

They've just extended DART train lengths once again restoring capacity, and are planning a 10 minute service - platform lengths can only fit 8-car trains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭thomasj

I'm sure rural politicians may have some influence in the new government but that suggestion might be pushing it a bit too far!

Most platforms at dart stations can only take 8 carriages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Naturally, his first job will probably be to try and sort out the LUAS mess. .

I guess this is kind of the point. It's easy to say that "they" should fix the M50 and help with congestion and sort out the Luas and so on and so on. It's more difficult to actually do it. It is almost certain that he will not be able to please everyone and then he will have to deal with people asking why the roads down the country are full of potholes while the dubs get handed a free motorway.

As far as the Luas goes who knows what the actual contract says. Perhaps he could take the attitude that they are breach of contract because they are not providing the contracted services every time there is a strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Not very likely, but I for one would be interested in seeing plans for the CART. I can see the news stories now...Ireland to spend 4b on cart, 50,000 commuters per day projected to travel by cart in Cork city.

HivemindXX wrote: »

As far as the Luas goes who knows what the actual contract says. Perhaps he could take the attitude that they are breach of contract because they are not providing the contracted services every time there is a strike.

That's already in the contract. Transdev are fined €100k by the NTA for every day that they fail to provide the service, so they have already lost €1m in fines this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ricimaki

HivemindXX wrote: »
    Not very likely, but I for one would be interested in seeing plans for the CART. I can see the news stories now...Ireland to spend 4b on cart, 50,000 commuters per day projected to travel by cart in Cork city.

Wait until Waterford get one, and there is eventually a strike:
    "Commuters to expect disruptions due to ongoing WART dispute."

Edit: But on a more serious note, it would be great to see even some of the more minor rail projects being completed, such as removal of level crossings on the Maynooth line, and completing 4-tracking as far as Inchicore. I wonder could we see some of the Metro projects being approved and funded, or maybe even DART Underground in a few years. He is from Dublin after all. I'm not entirely sure of his position on the matter, but I know Fine Gael have preference to the phoenix park tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

thomasj wrote: »
    Most platforms at dart stations can only take 8 carriages

Could do what they do on the DC Metro, radio announcements saying "Next stop ____, front 8 carriages only" when the train is longer than the platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

MJohnston wrote: »
    Could do what they do on the DC Metro, radio announcements saying "Next stop ____, front 8 carriages only" when the train is longer than the platforms.

RSC won;t allow it.

I think his time in office however long or shot it will be will go really well or really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Except when the driver enables the doors he can't choose to only enable some of them meaning he would have to rely on passengers in carriages hanging off a platform not to open them and fall out. You can see why that would never be allowed right?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

ricimaki wrote: »
    Wait until Waterford get one, and there is eventually a strike:
    "Commuters to expect disruptions due to ongoing WART dispute."

Or if Tipperary town was to have one and there was a dispute with the cleaning staff. People would be late for work due to a dirty Tart.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Doubt he'll have much support at cabinet level to do anything, but maybe he'll shine a light on the assorted shenanigans that goes on with Dublin transport

• Advertisement

Except when the driver enables the doors he can't choose to only enable some of them meaning he would have to rely on passengers in carriages hanging off a platform not to open them and fall out. You can see why that would never be allowed right?

Yeah except that seems like a simple matter of technology rather than anything too complex. Wouldn't even need to leave it up to the driver to change manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Yeah except that seems like a simple matter of technology rather than anything too complex. Wouldn't even need to leave it up to the driver to change manually.

No point in discussing it as the RSC will not allow such operations even if the driver than the technology to control it.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

No point in discussing it as the RSC will not allow such operations even if the driver than the technology to control it.

Yes, I get that, I was just responding to a different point which called me out specifically

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

of course having every door open when not needed wouldn't be an issue if selective door opening was fitted to the trains, but we know all about that story don't we!!!!!!!!
    still though, even if it was fitted such an operation wouldn't be allowed

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Listening to Shane Ross on Marian Finnucanes Radio show today, it struck me how little he knows about anything. A huge change from before the Election. Amazing, really how quickly they forget all they knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Listening to Shane Ross on Marian Finnucanes Radio show today, it struck me how little he knows about anything. A huge change from before the Election. Amazing, really how quickly they forget all they knew.

What did he say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Banjoxed wrote: »
    What did he say?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99716867&postcount=3614
    "You know these disputes are always resolved. This one will be resolved. But it will be resolved without the intervention of the State and without the State's cheque book."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

foggy_lad wrote: »

obviously he is clueless to the fact luas is operated by a private company under contract, so therefore the state cannot get involved. a mouth thinking he's playing hardball, when in fact he is just showing himself up.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

obviously he is clueless to the fact luas is operated by a private company under contract, so therefore the state cannot get involved. a mouth thinking he's playing hardball, when in fact he is just showing himself up.
    I think it is more in reply to union officials like Jack O'Connor pleading for the minister for jobs to bring in an initiative to allow the Labour Court and/or "others" to intervene in the dispute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I think it is more in reply to union officials like Jack O'Connor pleading for the minister for jobs to bring in an initiative to allow the Labour Court and/or "others" to intervene in the dispute.

No need for any initiative, the state can already get involved in any dispute (private company or otherwise) insofar as they can refer the matter to the labour court (any point though at this stage?), or the state can get outside experts for example to look at the dispute from both sides of the arguement and furnish reports to the government, but realistically what they can actually do is very limited and probably not very helpful-what would either option actually achieve?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement