Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do you think Doctors should practice what they preach?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Similarly - if a Doctor reeks of fags (thats cigarettes not gays lol) can they honestly preach to 'patients' that smoking is ruining the patients health?
    The cigs is often due to the massive stress.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

My local dentist has awful teeth which I find very off putting.

Not quite the same but you never really trust a hairdresser with bad hair or a nail technician with a dodgy manicure.

But obviously your dentist has a crappy dentist. My mechanic's car is a banger but he could resurrect a 1980 trabant engine found in a bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickarooney

CFlat wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I find that hard to believe.It's not just the fact that they could have spread MRSA to other locations but they could have contacted it themselves. And if that did happen it's surely a firing offence?

MRSA is carried in the nose and groin by a fairly huge amount of people. It's not a problem to carry it. The person who posted is probably carrying it themselves. It only becomes a problem when it's introduced to a wound.

Washing hands and instruments should be standard whether a patient has confirmed MRSA or not.

Nurses and health care assistants can be as bad as doctors, and patients' visitors are the biggest risk to the patient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

CFlat wrote:
    I'm sorry but I find that hard to believe.It's not just the fact that they could have spread MRSA to other locations but they could have contacted it themselves. And if that did happen it's surely a firing offence?

If you don't believe me that's ok. Don't ask the doctor to clean their equipment or wash their hands when they examine you.
    I've been in hospital myself for an operation in the last 8 months and I asked the doctors to do it for me.
    They had no problem and when they came to see me again they did it with out my asking.
    My bloods all came back clear. I practice a high level of hygiene in my job as I respect my patients and colleagues but most of all I respect my family.
    It's true that there are some health care workers who are not great at hygiene but when I work with someone I point it out to them and only ever one had to refuse to work with them because of refusal.
    This thread is about doctors practicing what they preach. I gave my view. Won't lose sleep over not being believed but I bet you will think twice about what lv said if (hopefully you don't) you find yourself in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickarooney

idnkph wrote: »
    If you don't believe me that's ok. Don't ask the doctor to clean their equipment or wash their hands when they examine you.
    I've been in hospital myself for an operation in the last 8 months and I asked the doctors to do it for me.
    They had no problem and when they came to see me again they did it with out my asking.
    My bloods all came back clear. I practice a high level of hygiene in my job as I respect my patients and colleagues but most of all I respect my family.
    It's true that there are some health care workers who are not great at hygiene but when I work with someone I point it out to them and only ever one had to refuse to work with them because of refusal.
    This thread is about doctors practicing what they preach. I gave my view. Won't lose sleep over not being believed but I bet you will think twice about what lv said if (hopefully you don't) you find yourself in hospital.

Your bloods coming back clear does not mean you're not carrying MRSA, it just means it's not in your bloodstream.

Unless you had a nasal and groin swab then you don't know if you are carrying it.

A good hospital should swab you in both these areas before your operation to ensure that if you are a carrier, they can treat it before you go to theatre. It's very easily treatable if not introduced to the bloodstream.

I agree with you entirely in that all healthcare workers - clinical and non clinical - should clean their hands and equipment before entering and leaving a patient's room (note the "entering" part, they should be doing this before bringing any outside bacteria into the patient area, not once they get there). So should visitors.

Advertisement