Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

do you think Doctors should practice what they preach?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

I dont know if the title is right - but there are an awful lot of fat GP, nurses and health workers about these days.

What if you went to GP with medical problems and she was on the obese side or was carrying quite a bit of weight and she lectured to you that "you need to loose some weight, your medical problems are mainly due to you being fat!"

Similarly - if a Doctor reeks of fags (thats cigarettes not gays lol) can they honestly preach to 'patients' that smoking is ruining the patients health?

Next time you are Ill, go seek out the healthiest looking person you know and ask them how they do it, I'm sure that will cure you...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We are lucky it's only €50 really.

TBH GPs are great when you know them, because they know you aswell. They know you are not going to see them for nothing.

Mine doesn't know me, they are locums, but if I want to see a regular I can.

I'm convinced they have notes on my record saying " logical IT person, do not waste time on platitudes :D"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

When little fat arse Mary Harney was Minister for Health I constantly thought that she was the worst possible person to be in charge of Health when she couldn't even look after her own health.

You are being still aren't you. Harney's job as Minister for Health wasn't to decide what pills should be taken for whichever complaint lol

As to the OP, your being silly also. The GP's job is to impart knowledge onto you to help you with your complaint. You asked for advise and you got it. I highly doubt the GP was preaching as I highly doubt he/she could care less if you follow the advice or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

When little fat arse Mary Harney was Minister for Health I constantly thought that she was the worst possible person to be in charge of Health when she couldn't even look after her own health.

You are being still aren't you. Harney's job as Minister for Health wasn't to decide what pills should be taken for whichever complaint lol

As to the OP, your being silly also. The GP's job is to impart knowledge onto you to help you with your complaint. You asked for advise and you got it. I highly doubt the GP was preaching as probably he/she couldn't care less if you follow the advice or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭CFlat

my3cents wrote: »
    A friend who works in the Health industry has a saying...

You are only an alcoholic if you drink more than your Doctor.

My doctor is Muslim so that's me f**ked. Mind you he is about 20 stone but he's an excellent doctor and I never considered his weight being an issue....until now ye bast**ds!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I never understand why people should be slagged off and ridiculed so much over their appearance.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

My best friend's brother was a psychiatrist and he married a psychiatrist also.

One day, back around 2005, she told me that they had an argument about the amount of drugs they were doing and one felt that they should only take E twice a year and stick to cocaine as their main recreational drug. Well, I nearly fell off my kitchen stool. I just thought psychiatrists would be the last people you would expect to be taking drugs given what they must see on pretty much a daily basis.

Who'd have thunk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I never understand why people should be slagged off and ridiculed so much over their appearance.

cause its important, you go to your doctor, you want to see them fit and healthy so you say "if i follow their advice I will end up looking like them" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

cause its important, you go to your doctor, you want to see them fit and healthy so you say "if i follow their advice I will end up looking like them" :)

Yeah, you're doing it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭doireannod

I'm a doctor. I think we should practice what we preach in order for our advice to be taken seriously. I don't drink or smoke and I exercise about 3 or 4 times a week. I'm passionate about health. That's why I do what I do. I couldn't ask someone to give up smoking, cut down on alcohol or take up exercise if I wasn't doing these things myself. Sometimes I find it a sad when I see doctors with poor regard for their physical and mental health.

• Advertisement

Thread seems to be an excuse to have a go at doctors and their appearance.

Doctors don't have to be Olympians to know that regular exercise is good for your health, they just have to be qualified doctors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭doireannod

exactly!

my normal GP (lady doctor) is skinny, even seen her out running a few times (as i sat in car lol) - hadnt seen her for 2 years , not even 5 minutes into consultation she asked me to strip me top off and said "your overweight, and have to do something about that" and booked me a dietician - a year later in june and still havent had a dietician appointment through....

Thing is I cant argue with her because she is thin and healthy and goes out jogging ... if she was a fat bitch and told me I had to lose weight I would just be laughing inside... :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Candie wrote: »
    Thread seems to be an excuse to have a go at doctors and their appearance.

Doctors don't have to be Olympians to know that regular exercise is good for your health, they just have to be qualified doctors.

No that's true, but if you are looking at someone who appears to be a physical wreck lecturing you telling you to exercise etc it's hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

No, they're experts like anyone else. They have knowledge. We all know generally unhealthy activities yet still do them.

Stheno wrote: »
    No that's true, but if you are looking at someone who appears to be a physical wreck lecturing you telling you to exercise etc it's hypocritical.

exactly.

I've got enough maturity to know that people can give good advice but not necessarily follow it themselves. It wouldn't bother me a bit, and I'd be just as likely to take heed of them as if they looked like a marathon runner.

In fact knowing that they're human, with all the same failings and weaknesses as myself, makes it easier to take advice from people, rather than being intimidated by a 'superhuman'.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I think this is the problem. There should be no lecturing or preaching involved. You want advice, you get it, what you do with it is your problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If I wanted advice on weight loss, I'd rather go to a lardy doc who might understand any difficulties I might face.

Likewise smoking, drinking too much, lady business, I would rather someone who knew exactly what it felt like.

I have no doubt any qualified doc would be as able to advise, but my preference would be one who had been through it personally.

its all part of image isnt it and having trust - if you went to a mechanics and they drove around in a banger that was always breaking down you woud more than likely have faith taking your motor to another place to be repaired.

If you value your health and you really do want to make lifestyle changes its not gonna help you going to a doctor and getting advice from a doc who weighs 21 stone and smokes 40 cigs a day!!

• Advertisement

I goto my doctor to get medical advice not to judge his or her appearance.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

spurious wrote: »
    If I wanted advice on weight loss, I'd rather go to a lardy doc who might understand any difficulties I might face.

yeah but its their job to make you better - if they side along with you and 'know what its like' what help is that gonna be to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

its all part of image isnt it and having trust - if you went to a mechanics and they drove around in a banger that was always breaking down you woud more than likely have faith taking your motor to another place to be repaired.

If you value your health and you really do want to make lifestyle changes its not gonna help you going to a doctor and getting advice from a doc who weighs 21 stone and smokes 40 cigs a day!!

Doctors tend to choose less chemotherapy and other interventions for cancer, should that affect your decision if you get a similar diagnosis? Doctors have a fairly high suicide rate too; should that affect their treatment of patients with mental illness?

yeah but its their job to make you better - if they side along with you and 'know what its like' what help is that gonna be to you?

But why do you need to be so judgemental about their appearance?

Terry Pratchet

If they fixed my car properly I wouldn't give a damn what they drove!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭CFlat

That's not a great analogy Andy. Mechanics always drive bangers!!

i bet statistically the best GP's that get results are thin and healthy?

Much better to have a GP say to you "im on this and that diet, I eat healthily and run reguarly and feel great and so could you if you loose weight"

rather than a 20 stone one that says "yeah I know its not easy , sure im me own worst enemy meself!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Well they aren't lecturing you,you Have approached them for professional advice,which they are qualified to dispense, it is immaterial what they do in their own time/with their own lives.

CFlat wrote: »
    That's not a great analogy Andy. Mechanics always drive bangers!!

its the only analogy I could think of - yeah its rubbish innit :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

i bet statistically the best GP's that get results are thin and healthy?

Much better to have a GP say to you "im on this and that diet, I eat healthily and run reguarly and feel great and so could you if you loose weight"

rather than a 20 stone one that says "yeah I know its not easy , sure im me own worst enemy meself!"
    I'd say the best gps are the ones who care about their patients and do everything they can to help and assist them; remaining competent at their job and seeking to increase their knowledge base as much as possible. If they weigh the same as a house what odds?

Advertisement