Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Economy : Any one else starting to get very worried ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The alternative is for the mortgage holders to hold onto these properties (at a loss to the bank) until there is some magical upturn in the market.

That is speculation on behalf of the banks. Back to the old days. No thanks.

There has been a up turn in the market a very large one in some areas.

I am not saying there were not some idiots out there, there was a woman on the radio... in her thirties still calling her parents mammy and daddy, some where in Tipperary or the like who had paid for house she could not afford with the help of the same mammy and daddy and now wanted someone else to sort it out for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Anyone else starting to get nervous about all these 'positive' economic notices ?

No because my pay us still lower than it was in 2010, prices in general have all risen so there may be a boom but not in my fcuking house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The alternative is for the mortgage holders to hold onto these properties (at a loss to the bank) until there is some magical upturn in the market.

That is speculation on behalf of the banks. Back to the old days. No thanks.

A steady repayment on a marginal loss making mortgage is a hell of a lot better than a repossession and subsequent resale at a 50% write-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

mariaalice wrote: »
    There has been a up turn in the market a very large one in some areas.

The market has been very volatile for the past few years. Every quarter we are getting valuations which are way out of kilter with economist's predictions. Both up and down.

The market needs to settle and stay settled before we can make any judgement.

Personally I would be very reluctant to buy a house in Dublin in the next 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

smash wrote: »
    Were mortgage holders bailed out? I must have missed that one.

There's have been write downs, not that many, granted.

But there have also been a huge number of people allowed to remain in their homes, despite not meeting repayments for years on end, violating the terms of their mortgage. So yeah, I'd term that a bail-out.

• Advertisement

maudgonner wrote: »
    There's have been write downs, not that many, granted.

But there have also been a huge number of people allowed to remain in their homes, despite not meeting repayments for years on end, violating the terms of their mortgage. So yeah, I'd term that a bail-out.

Would you rather they were turfed out and contributed to the homeless crisis instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Would you rather they were turfed out and contributed to the homeless crisis instead?

One could argue that it alleviates the homeless crisis.

The house doesn't disappear. It's sold on/rented out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

For everyone 'turfed out', a house or apartment would become available for renters/other buyers.

I'd rather that they were treated the same as people who were not relying on banks to fund their houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

People turfed out of the €1200 mortgage a month house they bought and can no longer afford aren't automatically excluded from the €600 a month rental place 15 minutes down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The thing most worrying me is the size of the Irish Times property supplement these days. Getting bigger and more salubrious by the week.

The Irish Times is releasing a monthly article on the crane count in Dublin, the one from yesterday...

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/number-of-cranes-in-use-over-dublin-city-centre-rises-to-43-1.2633384
    Number of cranes in use over Dublin city centre rises to 43
    Recovery in economy will lead to further developments being started in months ahead

Wed, May 4, 2016, 07:10
    Justin Comiskey

two things are massive 1) the central bank keeping a firm lid on the lending cap (as they are meant to be independent) there isnt much in theory the snakes in government should be able to do about this. Despite the fact they would love prices to explode again

2) Massive resistance from IBEC etc to ridiculous wage claims and a return to social partnership...

In terms of housing etc, let the government look into costs etc, the alternative is to simply allow more to be borrowed, indebting people even further and letting those snakes off the hook...

• Advertisement

One could argue that it alleviates the homeless crisis.

The house doesn't disappear. It's sold on/rented out.

At a substantial loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Financial services will be booming. Everyone that got burned by the end of the Celtic Tiger will be looking to have their finances managed properly. I dont think this boom will be like the Celtic Tiger. I dont think people will be spending every last penny they have to keep up with the Jones's. If you are a financial advisor, trader, accountant or work in Banking, this is going to be like the film Wall Street or Wolf of Wall Street.

I dont think this boom will be like the Celtic Tiger.

You greatly underestimate the utter stupidity of Paddy when he has a few pound in his back pocket.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 25 laura360

Is the Original poster still worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

lawlolawl wrote: »
    You greatly underestimate the utter stupidity of Paddy when he has a few pound in his back pocket.

Definitely. People are going to be stupid with their money. It will just be a different kind of stupid. Stock Markets, I.T Start-Ups and personal trainers ( or P.Ts) will replace Apartments in Bulgaria, decking and hot-tubs.

"Do you even have a P.T?" will become a line. And Investing in Asian Sweat-Factories will be the new Apartments in Bulgaria.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

There was USC on my last payslip.

As long as its there, the recession is still on.

Back to your workstations people. Nothing to see here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I used to operate tower cranes back in the day

Is your username anything to do with why you no longer operate tower cranes? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

screamer wrote: »
    Not really you've got to remember the **** base that these figures are coming from. Compared to pre 2008 figures which were from a pie in the sky base. As the old saying goes when you hit the bottom the only way is up.

But sure with typical oirish pessimism let's talk ourselves into doom gloom kaboom once again.......

Thanks for that well thought out analysis, Greenspan. If you take a closer look you will see that this time it's auto loans and student debts that are being packaged up into absurd "collateralized debt obligations" and loaded onto banks' "asset" sheets instead of crappy mortgagee that were rolled up into mortgage backed securities. When auto loans start to default you will see another pullback and the 1% will start fleeing the market like when ninja mortgages started to reset in august 2007 and foreclosures started to snowball three months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

screamer wrote: »
    Not really you've got to remember the **** base that these figures are coming from. Compared to pre 2008 figures which were from a pie in the sky base. As the old saying goes when you hit the bottom the only way is up.

But sure with typical oirish pessimism let's talk ourselves into doom gloom kaboom once again.......

Yeah, I don't know why these cribbers and moaners don'y just commit suicide....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Not one bit.

**Rings credit union for a loan to go shopping**

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

No because my pay us still lower than it was in 2010, prices in general have all risen so there may be a boom but not in my fcuking house.

Making you particularly exposed then I guess. Just because Boom 2 isnt on in your house doesnt mean it isnt on, and you are invulnerable to its effects.

laura360 wrote: »
    Is the Original poster still worried?

When I think of the stupidity of Paddy, and the politicians he elects (Kerry, I am looking at you here), then yes, very worried.

What's with the racist undertones and derogatory comments in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

People are returning to live in Ireland, if you are going out spending like mad that is your own business, alot of studies show recently that the majority of people in Ireland have very controlled spending on credit cards etc.

Cheer up and enjoy yourselves, nobody is going crazy, you will be dead long enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The Irish Times is releasing a monthly article on the crane count in Dublin, the one from yesterday...
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/number-of-cranes-in-use-over-dublin-city-centre-rises-to-43-1.2633384

What strikes me is how there are 2 different economies in Ireland. They may be plenty of cranes in Dublin, and people drinking coffees in fancy cafes, and some going on fancy holidays etc, but west of the Shannon its a different story. I see money in Dublin during the week, and hear work colleagues complaining about sky high rents and property prices in Dublin.

Whenever I escape the city at weekends and head west, I cannot but help notice the closed down shops in many rural towns, and the ghost estates, and some properties going for a quarter of what they would command in Dublin. Its a very uneven boom.

maryishere wrote: »
    What strikes me is how there are 2 different economies in Ireland. They may be plenty of cranes in Dublin, and people drinking coffees in fancy cafes, and some going on fancy holidays etc, but west of the Shannon its a different story. I see money in Dublin during the week, and hear work colleagues complaining about sky high rents and property prices in Dublin.

Whenever I escape the city at weekends and head west, I cannot but help notice the closed down shops in many rural towns, and the ghost estates, and some properties going for a quarter of what they would command in Dublin. Its a very uneven boom.

The West was always worse off economically. That's nothing new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

The West was always worse off economically. That's nothing new.
    It seems to be a bigger divide now though. A big shortage of accommodation in Dublin, but in parts of the midlands and west you can buy a new apartment for under 50k, and there are plenty of empty ones for sale and rent. Pity some of the jobs can not be decentralised. It would help the traffic and pollution (and sometimes stress!) situation in Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

It seems to be a bigger divide now though. A big shortage of accommodation in Dublin, but in parts of the midlands and west you can buy a new apartment for under 50k, and there are plenty of empty ones for sale and rent. Pity some of the jobs can not be decentralised. It would help the traffic and pollution (and sometimes stress!) situation in Dublin too.

Quit talking sense ðŸ˜႒

Thats modernisation of the economy. Modern standards of living, business, infrastructure, investment, economies of scale, do not exist in the sticks. So it is natural that standards should be lower there, apart from a few oases where tourism can buck the syndrome.

The recent call for a genuine second city somewhere west was a good one. Limerick/Shannon was it ? To build a genuine sustainable counter pole to Dublin. It would be good for Dublin, Newtown, and the west. Wont play well with every little town that thinks it can have it all though, smallness yet prosperous, so unlikely to fly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Where can you buy an apartment for under 50k?

Advertisement