Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Economy : Any one else starting to get very worried ?

Options
  • 04-05-2016 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭

All the headlines starting to look very good :

- exchequer returns up and ahead of forecast
    - unemployment dropping each quarter
    - unions looking for double digit pay increases
    - Ireland the fastest growing economy in Europe
    - construction industry rising steadily
    - Iseq index on a steady rise since 2011
    - widespread wage increases beyond inflation
    - people cannot afford property and agitation for govt subsidies to help them

Oh ****. Where have we seen these before ?
    Oh, thats right. Its déjà vu all over again repeatedly for a second time.

Anyone else starting to get nervous about all these 'positive' economic notices ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Anyone else starting to get nervous about all these 'positive' economic notices ?

Fcuk no... I can sell my house, clear the mortgage, have profit and buy it back at half price in 4/5 years! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

All the headlines starting to look very good :

- exchequer returns up and ahead of forecast
    - unemployment dropping each quarter
    - unions looking for double digit pay increases
    - Ireland the fastest growing economy in Europe
    - construction industry rising steadily
    - Iseq index on a steady rise since 2011
    - widespread wage increases beyond inflation
    - people cannot afford property and agitation for govt subsidies to help them

Oh ****. Where have we seen these before ?
    Oh, thats right. Its déjà vu all over again repeatedly for a second time.

The thing most worrying me is the size of the Irish Times property supplement these days. Getting bigger and more salubrious by the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I'm not sure if I feel worried, but I heard yesterday that a couple of local pharma companies are only offering 3 month contracts at the minute.. and a particular call centre not too far away only rent their pcs and office furniture (maybe that's normal? I don't know).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Sure when the world economy goes t*ts up again we will be fine. Oh wait what happened last time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Dont get worried until you see the crew cab 4x4 outside the pub with no tow hitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The thing most worrying me is the size of the Irish Times property supplement these days. Getting bigger and more salubrious by the week.

back during the Great Delusion, the Sunday papers were practically funded by the estate agents and companies with vested interest in property.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭screamer

Not really you've got to remember the **** base that these figures are coming from. Compared to pre 2008 figures which were from a pie in the sky base. As the old saying goes when you hit the bottom the only way is up.

But sure with typical oirish pessimism let's talk ourselves into doom gloom kaboom once again.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Nope, just missed out on the last one but was old enough to be told we all partied and I'm entitled for expecting to get paid to work. This time I'm gonna ****ing party like it's 2001. Loans for everything, living beyond my means and then when it goes tits up blame someone else.

Live in an apartment, will stick the decking in the living room with a patio heater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

No OP we shouldn't be worried at all as long as the government uses a contractionary fiscal policy which would be raising taxes and lowering government spending to cool the economy. This is the opposite of what the government did during the previous boom they we using an expansionary fiscal policy by increasing government spending and lower taxes this magnified the boom in the economy making the recession that followed a lot worse. Growth is good as long as it is controlled and steady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

No OP we shouldn't be worried at all as long as the government uses a contractionary fiscal policy which would be raising taxes and lowering government spending to cool the economy. This is the opposite of what the government did during the previous boom they we using an expansionary fiscal policy by increasing government spending and lower taxes this magnified the boom in the economy making the recession that followed a lot worse. Growth is good as long as it is controlled and steady.

The new government could be in for a tough summer then.

Huge marches agitating for a rise in taxes and decreases in health, education, and social welfare spending on the cards then. Water protests were only the tip of the iceberg. Could get nasty, with minister for finance pinned in his car by an angry mob baying for an increase in the base income tax rate and for the USC to be doubled.

People pressure on the govt will provoke a really austere budget this autumn I expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The same self defeatest crap every time things look vaguely better.Some people ain't happy unless they're wallowing in misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

screamer wrote: »
    But sure with typical oirish pessimism let's talk ourselves into doom gloom kaboom once again.......

Just like we did the last time...
    It wasn't really a recession, we just believed it was..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Not really you've got to remember the **** base that these figures are coming from. Compared to pre 2008 figures which were from a pie in the sky base. As the old saying goes when you hit the bottom the only way is up.

Yeah glad we are not affected by the world economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

And you think a Government with an election looming in the next couple of years will do that?

PARlance wrote: »
    And you think a Government with an election looming in the next couple of years will do that?

I doubt it because it is an unpopular policy but spending and not taking in enough tax revenue was one of the reasons the recession was so bad. We can't just keep spending all the extra revenue the goverment takes in i think most of the electorate don't realise this. So even if a government did try to introduce these policies they'd be voted out in the next election.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Must be why they hiked up the price! It sure wasn't the news section that got bigger anyways.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The new government could be in for a tough summer then.

Huge marches agitating for a rise in taxes and decreases in health, education, and social welfare spending on the cards then. Water protests were only the tip of the iceberg. Could get nasty, with minister for finance pinned in his car by an angry mob baying for an increase in the base income tax rate and for the USC to be doubled.

People pressure on the govt will provoke a really austere budget this autumn I expect.

Who the hell would protest to get big tax increases?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Yup, this time it's different. That's also a sure sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

kneemos wrote: »
    The same self defeatest crap every time things look vaguely better.Some people ain't happy unless they're wallowing in misery.

There's another one. Safe as houses I tells ya......

I doubt it because it is an unpopular policy but spending and not taking in enough tax revenue was one of the reasons the recession was so bad. We can't just keep spending all the extra revenue the goverment takes in i think most of the electorate don't realise this. So even if a government did try to introduce these policies they'd be voted out in the next election.

Really!

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    Really!

Yup even though it is the right thing to do economically for the country, it would be political suicide.

Yup even though it is the right thing to do economically for the country, it would be political suicide.

Bingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭Damien360

We learned nothing as a country from the last recession. The economy is out of control and rising too fast again. We will be bailing out banks again in the not too distant future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

There is a common theme in this country.

FF boom the economy then bust it.
    FG come along fix it.
    FF get back in and we're off again.

FG take the slack for doing the responsible thing and taking the nasty measures needed.

Happened before and is happening again and the people are only too happy to lap it up.

Thankfully the only people who are acting sensibly and not allowing a property bubble to happen again is the central bank with their lending rules but they are coming under pressure to ease them from all angles and we may have another one soon.

Hopefully they see sense and stay committed to their rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

I don't know where you were back then, but the State ran a budget surplus during the boom years...

JustTheOne wrote: »
    FG take the slack for doing the responsible thing and taking the nasty measures needed.

"Oh they were SOOOOO nasty".

Denis O'Brien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

"Oh they were SOOOOO nasty".

Denis O'Brien.

Rabble rabble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

While individual sectors in the economy, like construction, can overheat - you deal with them individually (e.g. getting lending under control, which has been done now), cutting government spending in general, is a very very blunt instrument to be using, for targeting just one sector of the economy - which will hold back the rest of the economy.

The time that government spending will lead to overheating the economy in general, is when full employment is reached - that's when it needs to be tapered off.

As things are: Yes, do be worried. Europe is now in deflation again (something that can only really be cured with a massive government spending boost EU-wide) - this is a trend we may become stuck in Japan-style, for an extremely long time - if that's the case, we're in for long-term stagnation - and as debatably 'good' as Ireland is supposedly doing now, we are in deflation too and this will drag us down over time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

kneemos wrote: »

I don't know why some people just don't go and kill themselves...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I think the only people who need to be worried are those funding their lifestyles on credit.....

.....but the signs of the boom getting boomier are all there - lots of builders with new vans / jeeps, bulging property supplements, tower cranes in Carlow, people changing their car every year......

.....all we need now is billboards advertising flats by using strawberries and a girl draped across high end kitchen fittings and some Cork langer on d'telly pushing property on a windswept Atlantic island as a great investment :)

Advertisement