Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like to see unisex toilets becoming the norm?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No I wouldn't . Im a guy and if I was having a number 2 I don't think idling women in cubicles either side of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,000 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Gael23 wrote: »
    No I wouldn't . Im a guy and if I was having a number 2 I don't think idling women in cubicles either side of me.

Why does it matter who's in the other cubicle while you have a shīt?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

SeanW wrote: »
    Wouldn't want to see unisex toilets becoming the norm, but we'll probably need them in the near future alongside gender-specific toilets for transgender people, especially t-women who might not be welcome in the womens room, those who call them selves stuff like "gender-fluid", "gender non-conforming" and those jackasses who when Facebook announced that they were adding 68 new genders in addition to male/female, for a total of 70, shrieked "that's not enough, I might identify as a pomeranian unicorn, we need an "other" option ..."

The rest of us evil cisgender-privileged pigs will stick to the mens/ladies as appropriate.

I knew someone was going to try and swing the thread in this direction. "Cisgendered-priveleged pigs" thrown in and all to create a lovely us vs them feel. Pathetic post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

septictank wrote: »
    Was in a well known Dublin pub off Georges street a few years ago and while at the urinals got talking to a guy, there was a empty one between us, then a girl walked in dropped the jeans and had a piss, calm as you like she said "the ladies was busy".

"Do you come here often" seemed inappropriate.
    Could have been my missus. She frequently does that when the queue for the ladies is ridiculously slow.

EDIT: Meant uses the gents cubicles rather then the urinals :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What is the benefit of unisex toilets?

Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I used to drink in a pub that had unisex toilets back in the day, never bothered me. I suppose from a privacy point of view it might be an issue for guys with urinals but as a woman it wouldn't worry me to share the space. We do it all the time at home, at work so this is just an extension of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Why does it matter who's in the other cubicle while you have a shīt?

Who gives a sh1t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Doing away with urinals would slow things up dramatically. It would also make the toilets much messier as all men would have to use the cubicles and a lot more would p1ss all over the non raised toilet seat.
    Leave it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

No it wouldn't bother me at all.
    But i'm going to play devils advocate here and say: Would it not make it easier for sexual predators too assault women if they had to share toilets with men, i know they could be just as likely to assault them outside the toilet but they could be given an opportunity to do it in a unisex toilet, which wouldn't happen if the toilets weren't unisex.

Is this a joke?

Do you think sexual predators are likely to be put off by the "Ladies" sign on the door? Like garlic to a vampire or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

OldGoat wrote: »
    Could have been my missus. She frequently does that when the queue for the ladies is ridiculously slow.

EDIT: Meant uses the gents cubicles rather then the urinals :)

Knew she'd have better taste than using the urinals, my missus is on a crutch at the mo so she used the men's when it was empty, I stayed on the door to explain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Honestly, both genders can be total pigs when it comes to use of toilets. Lads urinate on seats, women throw tampons on the floor and can leave the place in a total mess too and I've seen both genders not bother to wash their hands having walked out of a cubicle.

I had to use unisex toilets at work and really you are all equally gross and need lessons in toilet etiquette!

It's hardly going to make any difference.

As for sexual assaults, having busy toilets in ear shot of a bouncer is the most important factor.

Lonely toilets are dangerous for either gender. A busy jacks isn't likely to have creepy weirdos hanging around.

Also all toilets need powerful extractor fans and a good clean once in a while. Yiz all stink the place up regardless of gender!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Anyone?

It removes one advantage to being a man (assuming going unisex means removing urinals), so helps smash the Patriarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

armaghlad wrote: »
    I was walking down the main street in my town one night after a night out and this girl grabs me down into a side street.. before I could even ask wtf she was doing she was squatting on the road telling me not to move. Class act

Were you employed as some sort of lookout or something to hide behind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Were you employed as some sort of lookout or something to hide behind?
    A little bit of both. I was quite drunk at the time so I wasn't too phased by it but looking back it was kinda surreal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

armaghlad wrote: »
    A little bit of both. I was quite drunk at the time so I wasn't too phased by it but looking back it was kinda surreal

I hope you took note of the direction of flow and performed evasive manoeuvres :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I'd say no, as a man. There's a few of them here in France, but I always feel a little awkward going into them. But ultimately I don't care. It's just a feckin' toilet at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Wouldn't bother me but not if it meant the removal of urinals, something which has always been a hot topic for Sweden and The Guardian who have a common hatred for male toilets.
    The thing is, I’d happily trade in my male privilege for a world without them

Eurgh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother me but not if it meant the removal of urinals, something which has always been a hot topic for Sweden and The Guardian who have a common hatred for male toilets.

Eurgh...

I suspect the writer of that article suffers from shy-cock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭Christy42

Duggy747 wrote: »

Eurgh...
    I would imagine you could corner off a section for urinals with a smart use of walls. So same room, just can't be seen from sinks/cubicles. It seems silly to ignore their efficency in this regard. Especially when it is easy to fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

No flipping way! The amount of time women spend in the jax would have a serious affect on the amount of beer that could be circulated through the average beer drinking male. Any publican protecting their trade won't want this to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yes it would reduce the queuing for women who want to use the toilet. I don't know what takes so long or what they are doing at least with men it would be quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

One of the few unisex toilets I saw was just two rooms with a small wall dividing them, sinks in a general area, urinals in one area and cubicles in another. I said to the manager of the place that I thought it was cool they were going down this line of having unisex toilets. His response, "Oh, that was the old manager. He just couldn't be bothered putting up the male and female signs."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Toilets?
    What kind of fancy bars and night clubs do you all go to?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I remember being in nightclubs and the women used to use the cubicles in the mens jacks because there was always a queue for the ladies toilets.

Had they been stone cold sober it might have been different but sure it was no big deal, I'm sure it wasn't the first time that they saw a dick so nobody was going to die of shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Dont want it because we never have queues to the toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

As long as there are still Urinals all good. Doesn't really affect me, and if it makes some else's life a bit better, work away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

rsh118 wrote: »
    As long as there are still Urinals all good. Doesn't really affect me, and if it makes some else's life a bit better, work away.

NO! YOU MUST NOT HAVE AN OPINION LIKE THAT!

This is a situation that :

1) Is too long coming, and you can't see why it hasn't been adopted everywhere, like a million years ago,

OR

2) Will destroy the very fabric of reality, ushering in a new age of pain and misery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Not a f***ing hope.

As a man, I like not queuing for 20 minutes to take a 30 second piss (especially in bar, where I'd be bursting to go) because of Anto and Deco having "the chats", gawking in the mirror forever and gossiping like children about the people they are out with. But that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I remember being in nightclubs and the women used to use the cubicles in the mens jacks because there was always a queue for the ladies toilets.

Had they been stone cold sober it might have been different but sure it was no big deal, I'm sure it wasn't the first time that they saw a dick so nobody was going to die of shock.

A mate of mine got in a bit of trouble because a woman he knew who was the manager of a local Curves gym did this one in the pub because "sure nobody is using that cubicle anyway". In response, he waltzed into the Curves gym a few days later and started using any machine, dumbbell, etc he could because "sure nobody else is using it."

He meant it as a tongue-in-cheek joke because he only worked across the street from them... they did not see the funny side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

rsh118 wrote: »

NO! YOU MUST NOT HAVE AN OPINION LIKE THAT!

This is a situation that :

1) Is too long coming, and you can't see why it hasn't been adopted everywhere, like a million years ago,

OR

2) Will destroy the very fabric of reality, ushering in a new age of pain and misery.

Hang on, I can do that... Hold on...

THIS IS PC GONE MAD, thanks Obama and the BBC etc, pinkos.

If we let men get their lads out in the ladies toilet, what next?! You'll be allowed to marry your sister and a goat and not allowed to drink Guinness? Hell in a handcart!

Advertisement