Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like to see unisex toilets becoming the norm?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

If they got introduced everywhere it wouldnt bother me. The way it would be. But if I had a say in the matter? nah i wouldnt like to see unisex toilets.

Like, imagine this. You're a guy going to the toilet. All the urinals are in use. So you walk to a cubicle to take a piss but as you are doing this a beautiful woman walks into the cubicle beside you. So as youre taking a slash all you hear is is the biggest fart ever followed by a massive plopping noise :pac:

You know what... it's not for me :pac: Whats even worse is, if you were out on a date and you say "be right back, just gonna go to the toilet" and then they say "me too" .... but it's a unisex toilet :pac:

If you are in a cubicle with the door shut urinating, how are you aware of how beautiful the woman in the next cubicle is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Seriously, is this what bothers people?
    Who cares! As long as they're putting the seat up to pee and down for everyone else, no big deal. Drives me mad when mams come out of cubicles with little boys, and there's droplets of pee on the seat. Other than that, I personally wouldn't care.

I don't know if I'd like urinals to be in unisex toilets though. even though now you can buy this plastic penis thing so as you can pee standing up too. That would be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The wait would be a mild irritation, but I'd be far more annoyed about the animals incapable of using a toilet without leaving a trail of destruction; sh*te/p*ss everywhere, attempting to set fire to bog roll holders, writing words of wisdom on cubicle walls and breaking locks on doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd like to see CLEAN toilets become the norm.. I've no idea what ladies toilets are like but mens public toilets are nothing short of a horror show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

There used to be unisex toilets in Enigma club in Carrickmacross years ago. They were something of a novelty at the time but they kind of made sense having it all in the one place. Used to be a bit of craic (steady on...) there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Couldn't care less but purely in terms of time-efficient pissing, if it means all-cubicle toilets, then no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Only if they were like American cubicles were there's an inch between the door and the frame so there could be plenty of peeping and heavy breathing.

What is the story with those cubicles? First time in an american office a few years ago, went to the loo and tried to use the worlds worst cubicle. Here theres usually about 6 inches from the ground to the bottom of the partition. There there was about 2 feet. As you said a 1 inch gap between the door and the frame, and the whole thing only went up to about shoulder height.
    writing words of wisdom on cubicle walls and breaking locks on doors.

What is the story about broken locks on doors? I was in town a while back and was meeting a few different people in a few different pubs. Maybe 5 or 6 over the course of the day. Every single toilet I used the lock was broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The wait would be a mild irritation, but I'd be far more annoyed about the animals incapable of using a toilet without leaving a trail of destruction; sh*te/p*ss everywhere, attempting to set fire to bog roll holders, writing words of wisdom on cubicle walls and breaking locks on doors.

Don't worry, the mens room is as bad.

I've been places where there are unisex toilets.

Tresor, in Berlin, there's just a row of stalls, and everyone queues together. There are urinals, and they're in little stalls as well. Kinda manky, but that's what you expect from a warehouse club.

Some skanky club in Manchester, just a row of cubicles, and a communal hand washing trough, that gets mistaken for a urinal. Very manky.

We've one in work. It's reasonably clean.

There's a cafe in Athlone, and it has one toilet, so is de facto unisex. One of the nicest bathrooms I've used.

It's as much on the clientele as it is the cleaning schedule and standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

syklops wrote: »
    What is the story with those cubicles? First time in an american office a few years ago, went to the loo and tried to use the worlds worst cubicle. Here theres usually about 6 inches from the ground to the bottom of the partition. There there was about 2 feet. As you said a 1 inch gap between the door and the frame, and the whole thing only went up to about shoulder height.

What is the story about broken locks on doors? I was in town a while back and was meeting a few different people in a few different pubs. Maybe 5 or 6 over the course of the day. Every single toilet I used the lock was broken.

People are **** with locks in general. There are 2 seperate push number locks in work, they can't be left open for security reasons, but there's not a week goes past where one is broken, because people are idiots. Pubs are worse, because when you add in alcohol, people get less delicate.

• Advertisement

People are **** with locks in general. There are 2 seperate push number locks in work, they can't be left open for security reasons, but there's not a week goes past where one is broken, because people are idiots. Pubs are worse, because when you add in alcohol, people get less delicate.

It's a simple lock, or a small variety of simple locks. It's not fcuking rocket science... people are equipped with intelligence (sometimes I wonder though) and opposable thumbs.

The broken locks in jacks doors I put down to scumbaggery, kicking in a locked door for a laugh, it's not their property and they don't have to pay to get it repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Electric Sex Pants

Seeing the lines for the women bathrooms no im happy enough having them still separated. I dont fancy the idea of spending ages in line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

It's a simple lock, or a small variety of simple locks. It's not fcuking rocket science... people are equipped with intelligence (sometimes I wonder though) and opposable thumbs.

The broken locks in jacks doors I put down to scumbaggery, kicking in a locked door for a laugh, it's not their property and they don't have to pay to get it repaired.

I honestly think there is a guy out there with a lock breaking fetish, because some of the places I was in were fairly swanky places and even they had broken locks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

I have no interest in living in a world without urinals!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What is the benefit of unisex toilets?

I noticed a lot of bogs in Germany have ordinary bathroom type taps that you have to twist to turn 'off', but by and large here they turn off automatically as people can't be trusted to turn them off.

I honestly think there is a guy out there with a lock breaking fetish, because some of the places I was in were fairly swanky places and even they had broken locks.

Scumbags are not confined to any social order or class.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I wouldn't like to see urinals go, they are quicker to use and more hygienic than loos.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My brother had to break a lock in the ladies bathroom in some pub one night because I had passed out from too much vodka.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

It's a bit weird in a way that a nation or region as generally prudish as Ireland (or indeed the US or UK), so firmly against public nudity...is still grand with urinals. I don't object to them, mind you. I think they're sensible, practical and quick, but still, it's a bit strange that urinating is the one time that we* are okay with baring the usually unseen!

Okay, I know there's lots of rules about not looking to either side and I presume that many blokes have made an art out of urinating without exposing themselves, but still!

*I say "we", but in this case it's just fellas.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

silverharp wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to see urinals go, they are quicker to use and more hygienic than loos.

Not so sure about the hygenic thing - have you ever taken a leak while wearing shorts? The amount of splashback is significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Was in a well known Dublin pub off Georges street a few years ago and while at the urinals got talking to a guy, there was a empty one between us, then a girl walked in dropped the jeans and had a piss, calm as you like she said "the ladies was busy".

"Do you come here often" seemed inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unisex toilets are fine everywhere except the pub - I don't want to wait in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Not so sure about the hygenic thing - have you ever taken a leak while wearing shorts? The amount of splashback is significant.

You need to work on your aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

As a woman I would personally find it uncomfortable sharing a bathroom with men. Nothing to do with sharing the actual physical toilet but more to do with psychologically sharing the space.

Girls congregate in the bathroom to gossip, have heart to hearts, do their make up and generally be women in the presence of other women who do/think the same. I would feel uncomfortable doing this surrounded by men, not because they have a penis and leave the seat up, simply because they are psychologically different.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Don't care tbh, where's that option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

septictank wrote: »
    Was in a well known Dublin pub off Georges street a few years ago and while at the urinals got talking to a guy, there was a empty one between us, then a girl walked in dropped the jeans and had a piss, calm as you like she said "the ladies was busy".

"Do you come here often" seemed inappropriate.
    I was walking down the main street in my town one night after a night out and this girl grabs me down into a side street.. before I could even ask wtf she was doing she was squatting on the road telling me not to move. Class act

• Registered Users Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭SeanW

Wouldn't want to see unisex toilets becoming the norm, but we'll probably need them in the near future alongside gender-specific toilets for transgender people, especially t-women who might not be welcome in the womens room, those who call them selves stuff like "gender-fluid", "gender non-conforming" and those jackasses who when Facebook announced that they were adding 68 new genders in addition to male/female, for a total of 70, shrieked "that's not enough, I might identify as a pomeranian unicorn, we need an "other" option ..."

The rest of us evil cisgender-privileged pigs will stick to the mens/ladies as appropriate.

Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

If it does away with the urinals I'd be all for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement