Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota avensis 05 2.2 diesel injectors gone?

Options
  • 04-05-2016 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

My car is getting hard to start in the mornings so I brought it in to the mechanic and he said it looks like the injectors are gone and it would cost €750 to replace, can this be right?? Seems awful expensive

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

That actually sounds very reasonable if he intends to change all four. Injectors are crazy expensive, even second hand. You wouldn't get a brand new injector for your car for less than 250 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dancing Johnny

That actually sounds very reasonable if he intends to change all four. Injectors are crazy expensive, even second hand. You wouldn't get a brand new injector for your car for less than 250 quid.

Awe no, would all 4 need changing if it starts after a few attempts in the morning and is fine for the day?

Awe no, would all 4 need changing if it starts after a few attempts in the morning and is fine for the day?

How many did your mechanic say he would change for the 750? If your car isn't too bad it would be worth running a fuel system/injector cleaner like Wynns for a couple of full tanks to see if you notice an improvement.

How many did your mechanic say he would change for the 750? If your car isn't too bad it would be worth running a fuel system/injector cleaner like Wynns for a couple of full tanks to see if you notice an improvement.

Would bad diesel be a cause? He said one maybe two and they are putting pressure on the others

Would bad diesel be a cause? He said one maybe two and they are putting pressure on the others

He is only quoting for one injector so. Dirty diesel certainly wouldn't help. There are a few places around that recondition injectors, that might work out cheaper. I'd try the injector cleaner first though with a few good runs on a motorway to see if that makes a difference.

• Advertisement

He is only quoting for one injector so. Dirty diesel certainly wouldn't help. There are a few places around that recondition injectors, that might work out cheaper. I'd try the injector cleaner first though with a few good runs on a motorway to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks il try that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

If it runs fine after that then its not the injectors, I think you have a google mechanic there getting some code on his Chinese diagnostics and google telling him its the injectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I would look at glow plugs first to be honest... It might be worthwhile to replace them anyway if you never did them before. They're not that expensive and will make a heap of a difference. The other cause could be a bad battery barely being able to crank the engine.

Does it smoke or idle roughly when it starts?

shietpilot wrote: »
    I would look at glow plugs first to be honest... It might be worthwhile to replace them anyway if you never did them before. They're not that expensive and will make a heap of a difference. The other cause could be a bad battery barely being able to crank the engine.

In reply to the last two replies, I had him change the glow plugs and he is saying now that its the injectors???

To confirm, it takes a few attempts in the morning to start but after that it pretty much runs fine for the day, would this mean its not the injectors?

shietpilot wrote: »

Yes, when I start it a load of blue smoke comes out of the exhaust

• Advertisement

If it runs fine after that then its not the injectors, I think you have a google mechanic there getting some code on his Chinese diagnostics and google telling him its the injectors.

it gets hard to start in the morning but after that it pretty much runs fine for the day

it gets hard to start in the morning but after that it pretty much runs fine for the day

I would change your mechanic, he is a clown.

I would change your mechanic, he is a clown.

i'm wondering that myself, does it sound like it couldnt be the injectors?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Your mechanic have seen and heard the car, us here are just guessing.

As said before - you can throw some injector cleaner in the tank and see if that helps.
    It could also be the battery, alternator, etc etc but the blue smoke usually means burning oil.

What's the oil level like?

i'm wondering that myself, does it sound like it couldnt be the injectors?

I would put an educated guess it isn't them, it could be something as simple as the fuel supply drawing air over night and that be a reason for slow starting. Is it only on start up you have blue smoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I'd be leaning towards failing injectors myself.

Have you replaced the 2 switches at the back of the hp pump? They cause similar issues on starting from cold

biko wrote: »
    Your mechanic have seen and heard the car, us here are just guessing.

As said before - you can throw some injector cleaner in the tank and see if that helps.
    It could also be the battery, alternator, etc etc but the blue smoke usually means burning oil.

What's the oil level like?

i think your spot on biko, the oil level is low

I would put an educated guess it isn't them, it could be something as simple as the fuel supply drawing air over night and that be a reason for slow starting. Is it only on start up you have blue smoke?

yes only on start up

So then the issue becomes "why is there oil being burned"
    I'd say to top up oil and keep an eye on it over the next while.
    Still throw in the injector cleaner.

When you can, let car sit overnight and next morning remove sparkplugs one by one. Check for oil on the plug - is it on all or just one or two?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

When you can, let car sit overnight and next morning remove sparkplugs one by one. Check for oil on the plug - is it on all or just one or two?

That could be a tad tricky...

• Advertisement

Right, it's a daysul
    Well, the principle is the same.

You need a way to see inside the cylinders and check for oil.

seems to be one or two

Did you already check?
    So "one or two" out of four glowplugs had oil on them?

Pass this info on to the mechanic. He/she needs to test the cylinders and find out where the oil comes from.

But first, wipe the oil from the plugs and check again in a day or two.
    Remember to top up oil

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Head gasket failure is a noted fault with those engines (and would be consistent with oil burning/blue smoke). I'd be looking at that as well - though that wouldn't cause the poor starting issue.

he thinks it could be the rings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Head gasket failure is a noted fault with those engines (and would be consistent with oil burning/blue smoke). I'd be looking at that as well - though that wouldn't cause the poor starting issue.

low compression which could result in above symptoms, could cause poor starting issues.

I would get a compression test completed

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

My car is getting hard to start in the mornings so I brought it in to the mechanic and he said it looks like the injectors are gone and it would cost €750 to replace, can this be right?? Seems awful expensive

If it's the same injector as a Lexus IS220d as can be the case with Avensis and RAV4 2.2's, then one injector can cost up to €500+VAT to replace as they cannot be repaired and are mad expensive to buy new. Depends on labour after that.

€500 plus vat cournioni did they supply the ky jelly when they introduced that to you? Lol injectors that cannot be repaired.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

€500 plus vat cournioni did they supply the ky jelly when they introduced that to you? Lol injectors that cannot be repaired.
    Just telling you the facts on this injector (and most Denso Piezo injectors in fact). Repaired/Reconditioned units aren't available for it, they're fairly thin on the ground scrap yard wise too.

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-Common-Rail-Diesel-Injector-295900-0110-for-TOYOTA-2-2-D4D-D-CAT-23670-29105-/191763803663

Sick price I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

AD engine injectors retail for less than 240 at the moment so don't mind above posts

Advertisement