Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phonewatch Cancellation

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Don't know anyone off hand. Goto the psa register of installers. There is a link in the sticky,just search the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

kub wrote: »
    Did they get any satisfaction from PW?

Took me a few phone calls threatening legal action but they eventually agreed to remove the system and refund most of the money paid to that point.

I was able to point out how the system they put in was vastly inferior to the one they had in place despite the sales patter stating the opposite, and how it was mis-sold as offering protection against forced entry while they were in the house, a cause of fear for lot of elderly people living in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

lgk wrote: »
    Took me a few phone calls threatening legal action but they eventually agreed to remove the system and refund most of the money paid to that point.

I was able to point out how the system they put in was vastly inferior to the one they had in place despite the sales patter stating the opposite, and how it was mis-sold as offering protection against forced entry while they were in the house, a cause of fear for lot of elderly people living in the country.

Well done.

I would have always thought that honesty was a given in our trade, but you live and learn.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Aufbau wrote:
    All I need now then is some suggestions for installers in the West. Come on lads! :-)

There's no crime out west, or back west as they say.
    I googled it and got loads but back west is West Clare to Mayo / Galway

Who have your neighbours used?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aufbau

I don't remember the name offhand, I'll have to look for the quote they gave me. Maybe they weren't as expensive as I thought at the time, and maybe I could come to some arrangement with them - now that I know a bit better what I'd be talking about. Thanks for all yeer help, lads, appreciate it.

• Advertisement

Aufbau wrote: »
    I don't remember the name offhand, I'll have to look for the quote they gave me. Maybe they weren't as expensive as I thought at the time, and maybe I could come to some arrangement with them - now that I know a bit better what I'd be talking about. Thanks for all yeer help, lads, appreciate it.

You know where we are if you need anymore advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stretchie2

mollybelle wrote: »
    I have moved my alarm monitoring to another company and phonewatch now tell me I am tied in until next February. Is this true or can I cancel without penalties. Getting different answers from both companies. New one says they can't charge me.

Hi im in excatly same position as urself only mine was set up a couple of years ago was changed over to my mothers name from my late fathers name my mother has reccevied a letter sayin she has a contract cancellation fee of 228.70€ & her contract end date is 22/06/2017 homesecure are tellin me to ignore this not to pay it they have also emailed me their solistors letter to send to phonewatch my mother is an oap im thinkin of talkin to family solicitor about this

• Registered Users Posts: 7 onesome

Just wondering what was the outcome for people on here who have this problem with phone watch. I'm in same boat, i was originally with Eircom Phonewatch, since 2006 and then phonewatch took over. now my original contract was for 36 months which was up in 2009, i was informed when i signed up that after 36 months i could cancel monitoring at any time. then phonwatch took over, i never signed anything with them just paid by direct debit for last 10 years, and never had a written or verbal contract with them. Now Home Secure got me to move to them, and told me there would be no problem just give PW 30 days notice in writing which i did, and even called them to inform them, now i am been threaten with the same debt collector, as PW say im in a contract until august, now i have no intention of paying them for this, they claim the invoice they send out with price increase is a contract and if i pay im stuck for a year, now i never took any notice of their invoice as i was on direct debit all these years. Little did I think the company I have paid to monitor my home from thieves, for the last 10 years, now it turns out they are the thieves at the end of the day. I dont think they have a leg to stand on as they have no written contract from me. I have the original contract that i got from Eircom 10 years ago. How did others get on with Debt collector threat ect. any advice would be helpful. Also home Secure have told me not to pay.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There is a thread in legal discussion about it. Not sure if there has been any updates on it though.
    I'm mobile at the moment so can't find the link to it.
    Curious though, what sort of a contract did you get into with Home Secure.
    These are made up a lot from the old phonewatch you were dealing with in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 tradingwizz

I joined PW recently. I have asked them numerous times to send me a contract and they have not done so. I never actually signed a contract, so I'm wondering what's in it.

• Advertisement

I'd be insisting on it. It makes some interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 splarutd

Hi. I recently cancelled my phonewatch monitoring. I lost my job and can't afford the 40 odd quid a month for the moment. I said to them that I would activate it again once I got back working. I got a call today from them looking to send out an engineer to disconnect my system. I explained that I would reactivate it once I get back working. He said that it doesn't work that way and that it would have be removed. Do I have to let them in to do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭altor

splarutd wrote: »
    Hi. I recently cancelled my phonewatch monitoring. I lost my job and can't afford the 40 odd quid a month for the moment. I said to them that I would activate it again once I got back working. I got a call today from them looking to send out an engineer to disconnect my system. I explained that I would reactivate it once I get back working. He said that it doesn't work that way and that it would have be removed. Do I have to let them in to do it ?

The new system is rented off them so Id say they can take it back.
    You wont get legal advise on here tho, your best option would be to seek proper legal advise.

Wow just goes to prove, over € 400 a year and when the chips are down this is how they treat their customers.

So you paid the installation fee of probably around €500.
    Paid them around €40 a month and what have you now?
    Nothing.

Wow just goes to prove, over € 400 a year and when the chips are down this is how they treat their customers.

Nothing.

Its a handy few quid for an installation.
    If they stop the monitoring take it out and put it in the next customers, crazy what people buy into :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

altor wrote: »
    Its a handy few quid for an installation.
    If they stop the monitoring take it out and put it in the next customers, crazy what people buy into :eek:

People don't know and are sold on the fancy advertising. Really is baffling.

They are perfectly within their rights. What amazes me is how people pay the initial installation fee in the first place. If you had an electrician or plumber in your house would you pay them €500 for an hours labour and think it's great value for money.
    OP. Let them take it out and consider it a life lesson. You are getting off lightly. When you are ready for a new alarm system come back here for some honest and practical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 splarutd

Nothing.
    Pretty much summed up well

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭cyrils foxpit

Hi all, I moved into a house 5 years ago that had an old PW concorde box set up but not being monitored. I activated the monitoring again but got no updated system or anything like that. Thinking of changing to a rival firm now for a variety of reasons. To my knowledge I never signed anything with PW bar day one when I reactivated the alarm.
    Can I just give my 30 days notice, cancel my DD and get the new company in. I don't want threatening letters from debt collectors and I know PW have form for this

It's really down to what agreement you signed with them.
    When you do get around to moving shop around and look for something with monthly or rolling contract. No point in getting out of one awkward agreement enter into another.

• Advertisement

Hi all, I moved into a house 5 years ago that had an old PW concorde box set up but not being monitored. I activated the monitoring again but got no updated system or anything like that. Thinking of changing to a rival firm now for a variety of reasons. To my knowledge I never signed anything with PW bar day one when I reactivated the alarm.
    Can I just give my 30 days notice, cancel my DD and get the new company in. I don't want threatening letters from debt collectors and I know PW have form for this

The best thing to do is contact P.W direct and see what contract they have you on. They will tell you if its a yearly or monthly contract you have. If its direct debit monthly that may indicate a monthly contract but they will be the ones who can advise further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

KoolKid wrote: »
    It's really down to what agreement you signed with them.
    When you do get around to moving shop around and look for something with monthly or rolling contract. No point in getting out of one awkward agreement enter into another.

Phonewatch are somewhat underhanded in what they do - they send you what looks like an invoice saying it's not a request for payment (generally as part of a price increase), and as part of this they stipulate that it is for a contract period of 12 months, T&Cs - "Payment confirms commitment to a further 12 month contract".

D.

Exactly.
    I wouldn't be calling them and taking their word on it. Check out the contract.

dazberry wrote: »
    Phonewatch are somewhat underhanded in what they do - they send you what looks like an invoice saying it's not a request for payment (generally as part of a price increase), and as part of this they stipulate that it is for a contract period of 12 months, T&Cs - "Payment confirms commitment to a further 12 month contract".

D.
    KoolKid wrote: »
    Exactly.
    I wouldn't be calling them and taking their word on it. Check out the contract.

found an old unopened email from last july saying they had up the price and if I was happy I would be protected until july 17. this is very underhanded as you say and I assume just my letting my direct debit go out I agreed to the terms. very shady alright

• Registered Users Posts: 7 onesome

I was a PW customer for 10 years, I was under contract for 36 months so that ended in 2009, and then just paid for monitoring for the next 6 years by DD. Home Secure got me to change to them in January 2017. Before i done anything i wanted to make sure what i had to do with PW. I was informed by HS that i had to give PW 30 days written notice and that would be that, I had the new system up and running in my home on January 16 2017, and gave PW verbal and written notice on that date. Now my last payment to PW was jan 5th. On Jan 17 I got a call from PW demanding I owe them until August 2017 as i had continue to pay by DD when they send out an invoice for price increase, they claimed because i paid in september 2016 i was now under contract for 12 month. They have no written or verbal contract from me. On Jan. 18 i had a letter out from them saying i was overdue payment, now i wasnt as next payment was not due until feb. 5th. I then sent them a legal letter stating i wasnt under contract and to stop contacting me. On Jan. 28 i got a letter stating they tried to get money from my bank but DD was cancelled. and if i did not pay up within 10 days I would be referred to a debt collector. I informed them that i would not be paying as they had no contract, and that when they send my file to debt collector to send the contract that they have also. Have not heard a word from anyone since, and its now March 13th. so the 10 days have passed and not a word. I think they try the strong tactic to frighten people into paying up. But they can try all they like as they have no contract, but it did open my eyes to how thesed kind of companies work. little did i know that the people I was paying for the last 10 years to protect my home from robbers, would turn out to be the ones who tried to rob me in the end.

onesome wrote: »
    I was a PW customer for 10 years, I was under contract for 36 months so that ended in 2009, and then just paid for monitoring for the next 6 years by DD. Home Secure got me to change to them in January 2017. Before i done anything i wanted to make sure what i had to do with PW. I was informed by HS that i had to give PW 30 days written notice and that would be that, I had the new system up and running in my home on January 16 2017, and gave PW verbal and written notice on that date. Now my last payment to PW was jan 5th. On Jan 17 I got a call from PW demanding I owe them until August 2017 as i had continue to pay by DD when they send out an invoice for price increase, they claimed because i paid in september 2016 i was now under contract for 12 month. They have no written or verbal contract from me. On Jan. 18 i had a letter out from them saying i was overdue payment, now i wasnt as next payment was not due until feb. 5th. I then sent them a legal letter stating i wasnt under contract and to stop contacting me. On Jan. 28 i got a letter stating they tried to get money from my bank but DD was cancelled. and if i did not pay up within 10 days I would be referred to a debt collector. I informed them that i would not be paying as they had no contract, and that when they send my file to debt collector to send the contract that they have also. Have not heard a word from anyone since, and its now March 13th. so the 10 days have passed and not a word. I think they try the strong tactic to frighten people into paying up. But they can try all they like as they have no contract, but it did open my eyes to how thesed kind of companies work. little did i know that the people I was paying for the last 10 years to protect my home from robbers, would turn out to be the ones who tried to rob me in the end.

yeah that's what the guy from the new company is saying too, sounds like a familiar story. They send out a threatening letter and threaten debt collectors but once you call their bluff that seems to be it

My advice and policy is to never do business with someone unsolicited knocking at the door.
    You will be told all sorts and given promises and reassurances etc. None of them have to stand up to anything. You buy based on what you have been told and you don't even look at the contract when it comes out.
    For alarm monitoring there is really no need for lengthy contracts if any at all.
    Again, shop around and don't be afraid to ask for everything you are told in writing first.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 tradingwizz

onesome wrote: »

I know someone who went through a similar process with Eircom PW at the time. They had received a phone call telling them of their new offers. Even though they didn't accept anything, it was still deemed a renewal of contract just by speaking to them. Sure enough a debt collector's letter was sent out (multiple times in the end) with a letter from a solicitor after DD's were stopped. The reply was quite simply that I would be happy to see you in court and a promise to contact to contact Joe Duffy. You are also entitled to receive a recording of that exact phone call under the FOI, since they will want to use that themselves as evidence. In the end, they backed down (stopped sending letters) because they didn't have a leg to stand on and the case would be thrown out at court together with rotten publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DontBanMe

Hi, so I have a non-monitored alarm on my house, sensors on windows and doors.

My wife wants to get PW alongside this for the monitoring.

I'm dubious about it all to be honest but I don't have a counter argument about the monitoring and really don't know enough about any of it or rival companies in Cork to price check.

On the sticky there is only one company in Cork and they don't appear to have a website :(

Anybody have any advice on what to do here?

• Advertisement

DontBanMe wrote: »
    Hi, so I have a non-monitored alarm on my house, sensors on windows and doors.

My wife wants to get PW alongside this for the monitoring.

I'm dubious about it all to be honest but I don't have a counter argument about the monitoring and really don't know enough about any of it or rival companies in Cork to price check.

On the sticky there is only one company in Cork and they don't appear to have a website :(

Anybody have any advice on what to do here?

Here is a link to the PSA website.
    You can search by area.

That company is Kubs which he helps a lot of users on here.
    If you contact him he will help you also.

Advertisement