Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever regretted Googleing something?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Someone mentioned two men and a hammer here years ago and I went to check it out. I turned it off after 20 seconds, that is the worst thing I've ever seen on the Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

ofcork wrote: »
    The girl was knocked down crossing the road by a rich kid driving daddys car and cut in two and he drove on with half the body in the car!

I don't think that's right, isn't it she was driving the car and crashed into the divide on the highway or toll booth? Doesn't take away from the graphic nature obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭ofcork

Not from what i read there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Some of this stuff deeply effects you when you watch it. I do worry about my kids checking out nasty stuff. It's a shame you can't get isp level filters to keep em protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

I was prompted by a thread on here a while back to give Reddit a proper try and ended up on a page about unsolved mysteries which lead me to bizarrepedia.com. I ended up on a page about a serial rapist and killer known as the "Toy Box Killer" after his 100,000 dollar BDSM equipped motor home where him and his girlfriend would kidnap young girls and women and keep them for up to months. He made an audio tape describing exactly what he planned to do to them which he played to them when they gained consciousness. I don't know why but I read the entire (lengthy) transcript and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since. I've read transcripts of other horrific things like the Dagestan Massacre but this was so much worse. I couldn't sleep last night and even had nightmares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

I looked up The Rettendon Murders and searched images and found it pretty gory if the images are real.

Have you ever regretted Googling something?

Those pictures are so awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ofcork wrote: »
    The girl was knocked down crossing the road by a rich kid driving daddys car and cut in two and he drove on with half the body in the car!

I've no idea what you watched but that's not Porsche girl.

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    I was prompted by a thread on here a while back to give Reddit a proper try and ended up on a page about unsolved mysteries which lead me to bizarrepedia.com. I ended up on a page about a serial rapist and killer known as the "Toy Box Killer" after his 100,000 dollar BDSM equipped motor home where him and his girlfriend would kidnap young girls and women and keep them for up to months. He made an audio tape describing exactly what he planned to do to them which he played to them when they gained consciousness. I don't know why but I read the entire (lengthy) transcript and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since. I've read transcripts of other horrific things like the Dagestan Massacre but this was so much worse. I couldn't sleep last night and even had nightmares.

I have read that too. I nearly got sick at the dog bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Just looked at that out of curiosity. Fúcking hell :(

Yeah, the whole call is harrowing. I think it's really important to have that historical record though, the human cost of these events must not be forgotten. There are a few others from that day that are rough too. When we were all watching the towers burning, it was so easy to forget that there were people in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I remember a video being discussed on the Electric Picnic forum, not the Boards one but the official festival one. A cam video taken of some guy diving off a cliff and splitting his head in two, needless to say I never clicked the link.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I checked that Kevin Cosgrove one out (the 911 call, September 11th).
    I don't think I have ever been affected by something so strongly as that.
    Seriously, the fear in his voice and the end.....it's just absolutely heartbreaking.

Apart from that, I regret ever watching a Mexican cartel chainsaw video years ago when mobile phone videos were being sent around willy nilly.
    It took years for me to really get over watching it.

I'm one of those people who can't really watch violence or anything gruesome like that because I can't get over it; I think about it all the time.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I checked that Kevin Cosgrove one out (the 911 call, September 11th).
    I don't think I have ever been affected by something so strongly as that.
    Seriously, the fear in his voice and the end.....it's just absolutely heartbreaking.

Apart from that, I regret ever watching a Mexican cartel chainsaw video years ago when mobile phone videos were being sent around willy nilly.
    It took years for me to really get over watching it.

I'm one of those people who can't really watch violence or anything gruesome like that because I can't get over it; I think about it all the time.

I love gruesome horror stuff but that video of the Mexicans I'll never forget it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

LDN_Irish wrote: »

There is a video on youtube of an actor reading that transcript out. Fücking chilling so it is cause the guy reading it does it so dispassionately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I've regretted pretty much every time I've Googled medical symptoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

pink sock

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Why the fűck am I reading this as I eat...

Okay I just got finished reading this thread and wow, the call from 11 September is so awful.

I can watch the worst gory horror films and not a bother to me but as soon as I watch something and know it's real it's just a totally different effect. It just seems to stay with you.

I remember watching a horror film a few years ago on Zone Horror it was about 2 teenagers who kidnap a woman, rape and torture her, and she eventually succumbs to her injuries. Something awful along those lines anyway.

Watched it and didn't think much of it until I read the description on Sky, "a real corpse is said to have been used in this film", it totally messed with my brain after that. The psychological effects I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I can't watch any of that kind of stuff. Watching the last moments of another person's horrible death is just not right and I can only imagine the people that seek that stuff out are in some way disturbed.

I can't watch any of that kind of stuff. Watching the last moments of another person's horrible death is just not right and I can only imagine the people that seek that stuff out are in some way disturbed.

Human nature is to be curious. It's like when you're at a height and you're told not to look down. What's the first thing you do? Look down!

Similar thing here. I'd say a lot of people reading this thread have gone and Googled some of the stuff posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I've heard about it, and that it is genuinely horrifying. I think I shall remain in ignorance! :eek:

I really wish I had remained in ignorance.
    I have a strong stomach and stuff does not usually phase me, but God I couldn't watch much of it... horrific!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭makingmecrazy

Just looked at that out of curiosity. Fúcking hell :(

Not only is the end of the call desperately sad but then you realise....the FD are on the way up to him, trying to save them not knowing what awaits.
    It brings it all back tbh, the horror of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

I watched the Jordanian pilot being burned alive by ISIS and immediately regretted it.
    Truly horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

I generally never google stuff I know I'll find disturbing, offensive or disgusting. I just won't do it to myself. Boss once googled blue waffle and showed me without warning, I wasn't impressed, think I threatened violence on him if he pulled that **** again.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

What i remember the most is a Mexican cartel cutting the neck off a young girl because she was the cook for a rival cartel, the poor girl begged for her life and the fckers killed her all the same, I said a prayer for her afterwards, some of the things you stumble upon makes you realise that there some pretty evil **** out there.
    be safe and don't google crap you can't handle, seriously it leave mental scars.

Saw one years back, kid dives off pier, lands head first on ledge and slips into water, blood everywhere. Next shot is of kid being admitted to a hospital with a face split in two, but still alive and eyes looking terrified. Never know if two related, googled it and they said unlikely to be a hoax, found it pretty heartbreaking. Have tried to avoid them since but some utter moron put one up on FB the other day with a kid being thrown into the air when hit by a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I googled "is Santa real", even as a 44 year old the results is hard to take in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Saw one years back, kid dives off pier, lands head first on ledge and slips into water, blood everywhere. Next shot is of kid being admitted to a hospital with a face split in two, but still alive and eyes looking terrified. Never know if two related, googled it and they said unlikely to be a hoax, found it pretty heartbreaking. Have tried to avoid them since but some utter moron put one up on FB the other day with a kid being thrown into the air when hit by a car.

I've seen this.
    It's the most disturbing video I've ever seen.
    The doctor looks like he doesn't even know where to begin.

I've seen this.
    It's the most disturbing video I've ever seen.
    The doctor looks like he doesn't even know where to begin.

I try not to remember it, but for me the appalling thing was not the gore or the shock of the impact, I can take gore, even real life crime scene pics never bothered me - the OP referred to the Rettendon killings, when I saw them I though "meh, gunshot forced eye out, curious".

But kids eyes in the scene where he was admitted to hospital. The realisation that he was still alive - though the video suggests he subsequently died - the look of utter fear and bewilderment. Not even sure if I imagined it now, cos I couldn't look at it again. But the idea that that child knew the situation he was in...just too much to take in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭cml387

Funny how you can change. Before getting a dog (hi Rosie) it wouldn't have worried me unduly but since then I resolutely will not click on any story involving cruelty to any animal, nor even a news story without pictures involving cruelty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Not only is the end of the call desperately sad but then you realise....the FD are on the way up to him, trying to save them not knowing what awaits.
    It brings it all back tbh, the horror of the whole thing.

And hard would it have been for the dispatchers on that day, they were pretty helpless. I suppose none of them knew the towers would collapse though. Well, actually, that's not true, the NYFD deemed the building unsafe but there was some problems with the radio comms between the fire fighters so they couldn't reach them to tell them to get out.

The sad thing is, that unlike the north tower where everyone above the impact zone was trapped, in the south tower, one stairwell remained intact right up until the collapse and something like 20 people from the impact zone and above managed to escape. Others could have if they had known! But I'm sure there was a lot of panic and confusion and heavy smoke.

I kind of detached from the WTC attacks pretty quickly after they happened as I found the media saturation too much. Only now, 15 years later, am I beginning to read about them again and I have to say, it's fascinating stuff!

Advertisement