Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When was the last time you slept in your car?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Often have a nap in the the back of the Sierra after a marathon of back beach dogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

blue note wrote: »
    A friend of mine slept in his car after a night out rather than drive home. A guard found him and arrested him for drink driving because he was in the drivers seat. If he had say in the passengers seat he'd have been fine.

He lost his licence for a year or two over that and it still makes me mad. He did the right thing by not driving, but got the same punishment as someone who drove tanked up on beer. I know some people assume he was going to drive home before fully sober anyway, but you can't charge people for things they're probably going to do.

How was this case not thrown out?
    I've heard of someone get done for drink driving after turning the ignition on when drunk but still didn't actually drive the car...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

For all your car-sleeping needs.
    Durable car SUV equipment for comfortable travel sleeping for kid and partent, or create more room for romantic intimate motion in vechicles

63 dollars is a small price to pay for romantic intimate motion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

osarusan wrote: »
    For all your car-sleeping needs.

63 dollars is a small price to pay for romantic intimate motion.

Good review also.
    Amazing. Held up for 10 days of car riding. Me and my gf. I weigh 190 she weighs 120. So you do the math. Very sturdy would buy again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

mimimcmc wrote: »
    How was this case not thrown out?
    I've heard of someone get done for drink driving after turning the ignition on when drunk but still didn't actually drive the car...

In the US apparently if you are drunk in a car and in possession of the keys you can be done for DUI. You're supposed to put the keys outside the vehicle or some shit.

I drove a girl home one night in Long Island and sucked down a few beers at her house. Then I left and decided it wise not to drive so I sat into the car, pushed the seat back and nodded off. Some time later I was awoken by a tap on the window. Cops everywhere. I opened the window and answered their questions telling them I had a few, pointed to the friend's house, and decided to sleep it off. They explained that there had been a robbery in the neighbourhood but were satisfied that I wasn't involved (lookout guy or getaway driver). I asked them if I was in trouble for drink driving and they said no but that I was to stay put for a few more hours. They were going to send a patrol car by later on and if I was gone before 6am they would come after me. One of them then got all chummy with the usual Yank crap about his grandmother's people being from Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

blue note wrote: »
    A friend of mine slept in his car after a night out rather than drive home. A guard found him and arrested him for drink driving because he was in the drivers seat. If he had say in the passengers seat he'd have been fine.

He lost his licence for a year or two over that and it still makes me mad. He did the right thing by not driving, but got the same punishment as someone who drove tanked up on beer. I know some people assume he was going to drive home before fully sober anyway, but you can't charge people for things they're probably going to do.

I thought in Ireland that once the keys are out of the ignition you're ok?
    I'm assuming your referring to Ireland coz you said 'guard' and not policeman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Doolin. Wife rang friends who said come to here place to stay that night. Pulled up outside her house, no sign so headed into town to where she'd usually be. After a few pints we were headed back to the house, still no sign. slept in car. she did arrive back at daybreak.

Wouldn't have minded but we went a good few hours out of way on the promise of a bed. she made us breakfast though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

josip wrote: »
    In the north you can get arrested for "drunk in charge", which I personally think is ridiculous. It doesn't matter where you sleep in the car, if you have the keys you face 10 penalty points and a potential ban!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Years ago.
    Was at a Paul Oakenfold gig in Redbox, came back to hotel after and security on the door in Jurys Kip in Christchurch wouldn't let us in to our room cos there were four of us. We had a double and a sofa bed and thought the room slept four but no. Wouldn't give us our money back. Had to sleep in the car oppositie Leo Burdocks there. Kunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Aongus Von Heisenberg

armaghlad wrote: »
    josip wrote: »
    In the north you can get arrested for "drunk in charge", which I personally think is ridiculous. It doesn't matter where you sleep in the car, if you have the keys you face 10 penalty points and a potential ban!

I thought the offence here is the same: To be in control of a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place. Perhaps disconnect the battery or don't have the keys on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Just in case you didn't know , the head rest on the front seat of cars are all detachable for these situations,
    check in you own car today pull the front heard rest out and the bottom in pointed, Its so you can break a window if your stuck not many people know this,

You're dead right!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

On the way home from work some evenings, I get very drowsy so the best solution is to pull over in the next town in an empty parking spot, turn the radio off and shut my eyes. Within a minute, I fall asleep and weirdly, I wake up almost exactly 10 minutes later, fully refreshed and ready to get back on the road.

I have slept longer once or twice, but that left me groggy. So for me the very definition of a 'power nap' is 10 minutes exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

A mate and me were stuck in Limerick with no place to stay one night, we saw this guy asleep in his car and so we woke him up and asked if he mined if we sat in for a while. No problem with him, he was pissed so he was back asleep in a minute but snoring like a pig. We couldn't get any sleep, so like you might if your partner was snoring i decided to give him a quick dig in the ribs, but I'd a few drinks myself and hit him a bit hard, he woke with a scream we tried to pretend we were asleep but he was having none of it and told us to get out to Fu&k out of his car. Off he drove all over the road as still pissed and we spent the night wandering the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What I don't understand about that add is why they say have a cup of coffee, then try and get some sleep. It doesn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭khamilto

HensVassal wrote: »
    Dude, this isn't a case of having to tell people not to microwave their dog. People get left in cars all the time. I know your not supposed to lock children in the car but what would your solution be if someone happens to find themselves in this situation. Should they just be left to die because the anti-theft features are more important?
    You can generally lock a car without engaging deadlock. E.g. in some cars, turn the key in door lock. Pressing the internal lock button also doesn't deadlock the cars.

If the manufacturer has gone to the trouble of engineering the car so that the doors can't be opened, surely they can engineer it so that the doors CAN be opened but the engine not started.
    Deadlock is to make it harder to get into the car so they can't just smash the fly window, reach in and open the door. It's harder to rifle through a car when your only ingress is a small window onto broken glass.

There's a reason cars are fitted with deadlocks, and any manual will warn you about engaging the deadlock with passengers/animals inside - and also tell you how to lock the car without engaging the deadlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Three years ago. Was bringing back an old car from the UK on the ferry. Weather was atrocious so was stuck in Pembroke til 7am, should have been out of there the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tommyhayes1989

Don't remember having a full sleep in the car but i've definitely fallen into long naps for an hour or so. Used to work in a pub and between shifts I'd go out and conk for an hour or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Electric picnic a few years back.

I wish I could say it was an S Class Merc with leather reclining heated seats, but it wasn't.

We'd have been more comfortable sleeping in a ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

khamilto wrote: »
    Deadlock is to make it harder to get into the car so they can't just smash the fly window, reach in and open the door. It's harder to rifle through a car when your only ingress is a small window onto broken glass.
    They could only supply a deadlock with an alarm system and only turn on the deadlock feature if the window is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Add your reply here.
    Just in case you didn't know , the head rest on the front seat of cars are all detachable for these situations,
    check in you own car today pull the front heard rest out and the bottom in pointed, Its so you can break a window if your stuck not many people know this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQqOmEdlstk

• Advertisement
Advertisement