Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When was the last time you slept in your car?

Options
  • 03-05-2016 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

If you followed the ad we'd all be drinking coffee and taking 15 min power naps in the square. I last slept in my car 2 years ago when I was waiting for someone to come out of a house.

How about you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Not in years. I slept overnight in twice, once I arrived home very late and didn't want to wake up the whole house, another night in Galway, 2 friends didn't want to "splash out" on a b&b....a woeful night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i pullover and snooze if im getting tired
    half an hour makes a huge difference

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Normally have a nap on the way to work. Straight road so rarely any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Never?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Normally have a nap on the way to work. Straight road so rarely any problems.

Totally sober, just tired......

On the M50 once half my brain was telling me to close my eyes for just a few seconds, it wouldn't matter, the other half SCREAMING at me to ignore that fncker.

I may have issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

A couple of years back not far from me, two friends drove home after a night out. The passenger fell asleep on the way. When they arrived at the drivers house in the countryside the driver thought he'd let him sleep it off in the car. Got out, locked the car, went into the house and went to sleep. Problem was, it was a newish Merc, which couldn't be unlocked from the inside if it had been locked from the outside. The passenger woke up in the morning, couldn't get out of the car, the temperature outside went up to 30 degrees and he died.

A couple of years back not far from me, two friends drove home after a night out. The passenger fell asleep on the way. When they arrived at the drivers house in the countryside the driver thought he'd let him sleep it off in the car. Got out, locked the car, went into the house and went to sleep. Problem was, it was a newish Merc, which couldn't be unlocked from the inside if it had been locked from the outside. The passenger woke up in the morning, couldn't get out of the car, the temperature outside went up to 30 degrees and he died.

:(

You serious? jeez that's dreadful. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

2008. Missed the ferry so ended up conked at the terminal asleep in an old beetle waiting for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Not that long ago actually, maybe a month or so.

Going from Dublin to Clare on a Sunday evening after a night out in Dublin the night before. Had to stop at Kildare Village for a 30 minute nap, I wouldn't have made it much further without crashing I'd say. I get insanely tired at the best of times.

And the time before that was coming back from Electric Picnic (Laois to Clare) last September.
    Had made it most of the way home, was outside of Birdhill and had to pull over for a 20 minute nap. Didn't help that my passenger kept falling asleep on the journey.

:(

You serious? jeez that's dreadful. RIP
    Yes unfortunately it's a true story. He died of dehydration. I know it's a rare thing to happen but it'd put me off sleeping in a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

How did he not manage to break a window and get out?

osarusan wrote: »
    There was evidence that he had tried to break windows but didn't succeed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

When my son was born so about 2 years ago, I would sleep in the hospital carpark between visiting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Lisdoonvarna last weekend of September 1987

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Mint Aero wrote: »
    If you followed the ad we'd all be drinking coffee and taking 15 min power naps in the square. I last slept in my car 2 years ago when I was waiting for someone to come out of a house.

How about you?

17:89am on the 36th of Neverember.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

osarusan wrote: »

Without a hard object it's nearly impossible to break car windows and it's doubly hard if you're inside. Outside you've got plenty of room to swing a bar or a rock if you want to put through the glass. Inside you're sitting down, you can't stand up and certainly can't swing your arm fully. All you've got is your elbow or your foot.

Poor bastard. I don't know what I would have done. Couldn't set off the alarm? Probably wasn't one.

There's a lot to be said for there to be a manual override to open windows from the inside with a handle if the car is locked and the electric windows are up and the power is off.

HensVassal wrote: »
    Without a hard object it's nearly impossible to break car windows and it's doubly hard if you're inside. Outside you've got plenty of room to swing a bar or a rock if you want to put through the glass. Inside you're sitting down, you can't stand up and certainly can't swing your arm fully. All you've got is your elbow or your foot.

Poor bastard. I don't know what I would have done. Couldn't set off the alarm? Probably wasn't one.

There's a lot to be said for there to be a manual override to open windows from the inside with a handle if the car is locked and the electric windows are up and the power is off.
    Actually looking up the story again, it was a Audi A6 model, it had double windows apparently. There was an alarm but no movement detector in that one car (that was discovered in the investigation). That particular model could not be opened from the inside once the electronic key had been used to lock it from the outside. When Audi were asked about this they said "Oh well it says in the manual that you are to make sure that no children or animals are left in the car when locked". And he couldn't even beep the horn to alert the family, because that is also disabled when the car was locked. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

Jaysus that's rough.

For the next person locked in a car, who has time to browse boards before meeting their end, headrests are usually removable and you could use the pointy metal bits to break a window easily enough I'd have thought.

Actually looking up the story again, it was a Audi A6 model, it had double windows apparently. There was an alarm but no movement detector in that one car (that was discovered in the investigation). That particular model could not be opened from the inside once the electronic key had been used to lock it from the outside. When Audi were asked about this they said "Oh well it says in the manual that you are to make sure that no children or animals are left in the car when locked". And he couldn't even beep the horn to alert the family, because that is also disabled when the car was locked. :(

Thanks Audi!!

Is there any reason why the car can't be opened from the inside OTHER than to trap the occupant??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks Audi!!

Is there any reason why the car can't be opened from the inside OTHER than to trap the occupant??

The car is dead bolted to stop it being robbed. Most cars are similar otherwise scumbags could just smash a window and open the door. Why blame the manufacturer when they say not to lock people or animals in the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

csm wrote: »
    Jaysus that's rough.

For the next person locked in a car, who has time to browse boards before meeting their end, headrests are usually removable and you could use the pointy metal bits to break a window easily enough I'd have thought.

Thats a really good idea, never thought of it. Good thing to post! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Banff national park in Canada 2 summers ago.

We were camping and went off to go rafting and while we were gone a thunderstorm rolled in and lashed the forest out of it. Our tent was flooded so after looking up local hotels and seeing the price of a room, decided to kip in the car. It was a big minivan so it wasnt that bad, but it was a cold night so we got pretty much no sleep. Next couple of days were a bit of a blur as I had to drive back to Winnipeg on not much sleep. Much coffee was downed on that journey.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I slept in a car in the carpark of SuperValu in Kinsale last August. I was part of a team that were doing a cycle race around Ireland and the carpark was our changeover point to get the second half of the team onto the road. We were told that they were making great time so we had to be there for 3 am, however they totally lied and we didn't end up doing the changeover until almost 5, so we slept in the car. Hard going as there were 5 of us cramped into a toyota avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

When I was pregnant with my first. The tiredness in the first trimester was unbelievable so I would go out to my car on my lunch break and doze.

Otherwise never, I can't sleep in cars, on trains, planes or buses. Basically anything that's not my bed.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The car is dead bolted to stop it being robbed. Most cars are similar otherwise scumbags could just smash a window and open the door. Why blame the manufacturer when they say not to lock people or animals in the car?

Dude, this isn't a case of having to tell people not to microwave their dog. People get left in cars all the time. I know your not supposed to lock children in the car but what would your solution be if someone happens to find themselves in this situation. Should they just be left to die because the anti-theft features are more important?

:confused:

If the manufacturer has gone to the trouble of engineering the car so that the doors can't be opened, surely they can engineer it so that the doors CAN be opened but the engine not started.

And if a scumbag can smash a window he can get in the damn window ANYWAY even if the door is unopenable.
    What's the problem with a mechanism to open the window from the inside if the electrics are off?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I used to sleep in my car all the time - well 3 or 4 times a month, usually when I was up to no good with some skanky quare one or other. Haven't done in over a decade - yay me for being all civilised and shít!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

30 years ago I got sleepy on the way home from uni one night in the American South and pulled in to the parking lot of a McD's for a short snooze. 20 minutes or so later, I woke up, still a little groggy but OK to go, and drove off. I was stopped by a local policeman, and I opened the window. "Been drinking tonight, ma'am?" "Um, no sir, I stopped back there for a short nap because I was feeling tired. What's the trouble?" "Your headlights are off; is there something wrong with them?" Flip, flip, flip, they were fine. I realized what happened. "Oh, it was so bright in the lighted parking lot when I woke up I must just have forgotten to put them on, I'm sorry." "All right, ma'am, drive safe."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,641 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Add your reply here.
    Just in case you didn't know , the head rest on the front seat of cars are all detachable for these situations,
    check in you own car today pull the front heard rest out and the bottom in pointed, Its so you can break a window if your stuck not many people know this,

• Registered Users Posts: 20,641 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Add your reply here.
    Just in case you didn't know , the head rest on the front seat of cars are all detachable for these situations,
    check in you own car today pull the front heard rest out and the bottom in pointed, Its so you can break a window if your stuck not many people know this,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

A friend of mine slept in his car after a night out rather than drive home. A guard found him and arrested him for drink driving because he was in the drivers seat. If he had say in the passengers seat he'd have been fine.

He lost his licence for a year or two over that and it still makes me mad. He did the right thing by not driving, but got the same punishment as someone who drove tanked up on beer. I know some people assume he was going to drive home before fully sober anyway, but you can't charge people for things they're probably going to do.

Advertisement