Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a suitcase to take your groceries home...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Google "Old woman trolley"

Auld wans have been doing it for years...

I'm familiar with them alright, and it wouldn't haven't seemed weird (odd) at all had it been one of those. But it wasn't, it was a suitcase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Where is this butters?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

This was a new one to me...........

Over the weekend I was in a Tesco in shall we say not the best part of town and two "chung wans" (late teens, maybe early 20s) in pyjama and Ugg uniform came to the self service counter with a shopping basket each and one pulling a wheelie suitcase behind her. I thought it looked a little out of place at first, then after paying, they opened the suitcase, filled it with their groceries and walked away. Am I the only one who finds this odd?

Plus old dears have been pulling their shopping cart behind them since christ was a child. These two girls are just using a similar yoke that happens to double as luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe it seemed odd because it's such a good idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Where is this butters?

I can't say. I'll re-enforce the image that some posters have of me as the President of Hitler Youth in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Knackers are always the most innovative.
    Sure the limerick chung wans would tuck their socks into their pants so they could easily rob stuff.

God bless Knackers.

Surely their pants into their socks, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

NEWS JUST IN

Poster posts great idea regarding grocery shopping, Godwins self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

I'm familiar with them alright, and it wouldn't haven't seemed weird (odd) at all had it been one of those. But it wasn't, it was a suitcase.

I understood your OP, my point is it's the exact same principle as an "old woman trolley", a wheeled container for goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

The "granny trolley" or "trundle" is actually fashionable again in some countries. They're very handy for bringing things home if you think about it...
    Ireland's just mostly car orientated. If you're walking to the supermarket or wandering around doing your shopping in a proper market (Cork's English Market being one of the few examples), you don't want to be carrying tons of bags and heavy items.

'Ould ones' have never been as car dependent as this generation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

12Phase wrote: »
    The "granny trolley" or "trundle" is actually fashionable again in some countries.

sholley is the word you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yeah, the use of a suitcase was odd alright, but a good one all the same! :D

I haven't seen it done too much, my wife got one of those granny trolleys for putting groceries in, it was supposed to make it easier on her back. Pulling the weight of the thing only made her back worse, so she got rid of it and went back to just using me as a mule instead :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I used to do this when I was a student and had to buy my week's shopping in the supermarket a twenty minute walk away. Saved my arms a lot of grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

This was a new one to me...........

Over the weekend I was in a Tesco in shall we say not the best part of town and two "chung wans" (late teens, maybe early 20s) in pyjama and Ugg uniform came to the self service counter with a shopping basket each and one pulling a wheelie suitcase behind her. I thought it looked a little out of place at first, then after paying, they opened the suitcase, filled it with their groceries and walked away. Am I the only one who finds this odd?

You should avoid the airport, there's 100's of people walking around carryin their personal belongings in suitcases! You'd be overwhelmed and probably have a brain haemorage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Similarly "chung lads" would be used for young men.

No, it's "chung f'las" for young men.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I usually bring my rucksack or at least a schoolbag when I go shopping. Easier to carry them on your back than dangling from your hands, especially if you've got some heavy stuff. Once or twice used a suitcase - one of those baggy-type ones rather than a smart suitcase.

I must be a chung wan! :D

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Leic

Jaysus that's fierce handy.
    Nothing worse than carrying home heavy bags.

I hear whooping cough is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I rather use my trolley, have a handy way of getting home too. Although going up the hill in a trolley is a bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Yeah, I've done that a few times when I'm getting loads of shopping in. I have a wheeley case that I normally use for carry on for flights. Dead handy and can fit loads of heavy stuff in.

Incidentally, I always thought Chung Wans came from that FM104 phone show that was on in the evenings.

Advertisement