Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a suitcase to take your groceries home...

Options
  • 03-05-2016 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

This was a new one to me...........

Over the weekend I was in a Tesco in shall we say not the best part of town and two "chung wans" (late teens, maybe early 20s) in pyjama and Ugg uniform came to the self service counter with a shopping basket each and one pulling a wheelie suitcase behind her. I thought it looked a little out of place at first, then after paying, they opened the suitcase, filled it with their groceries and walked away. Am I the only one who finds this odd?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

No harm in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I hate the phrase "chung wans". Sounds like some form of lidl brand dog food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Jaysus that's fierce handy.
    Nothing worse than carrying home heavy bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭Allinall

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

If they haven't a car, it's the easiest way of getting the shopping home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

smash wrote: »
    I hate the phrase "chung wans". Sounds like some form of lidl brand dog food.

I much prefer Wang Chung.

• Advertisement

My granny used have a thing, like a suitcase on wheels, shopping trolley or something it was called. Had two wheels and a handle.
    She would fill it with her shopping & never had to carry anything heavy home.
    All the old wans had one, they were great....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Why did you think seeing somebody pulling a suitcase was out of place?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

It is odd because I've never seen it done before. But dammit, it's a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

So what had the neighbourhood or their clothes do with that story?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They were dressed for success in Innovation Central!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Doing this next time I do a decent sized shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭Allinall

It paints a picture to back up the predudice in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Better than taking the trolley home and leaving in the garden.

Did these "chung wans" buy the obligatory chicken fillet rolls to eat on the walk home?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Allinall wrote: »

Or you could say I was giving context and detail. But hey, go with prejudice.

If I had said it was "chung wans" in a salubrious part of town and the suitcase was made by Louis Vuitton would that be prejudiced as well?

No harm in it.

I'm not saying there is. It was a first for me. Maybe I just thought it looked odd as I hadn't seen it before.

Likewise, if I saw people checking onto a flight and handing over their belongings in plastic Spar bags I'd think it was odd.....but I did see that (it was Ibiza) and thought it was odd at the time....true story.

The soundtrack to "To Live and Die in L.A." was composed by Wang Chung. Great soundtrack btw, esp. the 2nd side (all instrumental).

Knackers are always the most innovative.
    Sure the limerick chung wans would tuck their socks into their pants so they could easily rob stuff.

God bless Knackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It is undeniably odd.

Knackers are always the most innovative.
    Sure the limerick chung wans would tuck their socks into their pants so they could easily rob stuff.

God bless Knackers.

Now you'll be in trouble with the person who said I was prejudiced.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If I had said it was "chung wans" in a salubrious part of town and the suitcase was made by Louis Vuitton would that be prejudiced as well?

What does Chung wans mean anyway? Been living in various parts of Ireland for 33 years and never heard anyone pronounce it even remotely like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Internet Ham

There is nothing wrong with a little prejudice. We all have some variety of it. Those who claim to not have it are at best moronic and at worst dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Come off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Allinall wrote: »

Maybe the OP has some baggage of his own.

What does Chung wans mean anyway? Been living in various parts of Ireland for 33 years and never heard anyone pronounce it even remotely like that.

It's a "Dubalin" expression for young ladies. Older ladies are referred to as "auld wans", young becomes "chung" for "chung wans". Similarly "chung lads" would be used for young men.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

But, you wouldn't have said that.

Ah FFS, can anyone post anything on boards anymore without the PC brigade tearing everything apart looking for something that isn't there? Seriously, get over yourselves.

The substantive part of my post was about the suitcase being used as a means of transport for groceries and how odd that appeared to me. Yet now I'm being painted as some sort of white supremacist who hates everyone and everything (exaggerating to highlight my point - and the ridiculousness of some of the comments here). Go figure.....or call Joe Duffy to complain.

Birneybau wrote: »
    But, you wouldn't have said that.

I would had I seen it. But hey, you know me better than I do apparently so why not tell me more about myself?

I love just watching knackers interact with the world.
    They live in a different world to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Google "Old woman trolley"

Auld wans have been doing it for years...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

This was a new one to me...........

Over the weekend I was in a Tesco in shall we say not the best part of town and two "chung wans" (late teens, maybe early 20s) in pyjama and Ugg uniform came to the self service counter with a shopping basket each and one pulling a wheelie suitcase behind her. I thought it looked a little out of place at first, then after paying, they opened the suitcase, filled it with their groceries and walked away. Am I the only one who finds this odd?

Not unusual......smart. I've got a backpack that also has wheels and a pull-along handle that I take to the market. You'd be amazed how much you can get into it. 10 oranges, 10 grapefruits, 5 lemons, a full chicken, couple pounds of rashers, bunch of tinned goods, a 6pack, etc. It then obviously weighs a ton but I don't have to lift it. Pull it along behind me and stop into the pub on the way home for a pint. If I had to carry all that in carrier bag my arms would be pulled out of their sockets.

Advertisement