Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the movie industry ran out of new material?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭valoren

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Just don't make classics anymore like

planes trains
    trading places
    national lampoons, parenthood
    Bruce's millions
    big
    home alone etc

You know real classics that stand the test of time.

It's ****e nowadays.

I thought about this recently.

To me standing the test of time is a personal reaction, where you still enjoy the same film no matter what age you are.

You wouldn't be criticising the acting, plot holes, the ageing effects or the shoddy dialogue etc. It's the innocence of youth I guess. You would go and see Home Alone for example as a kid and absolutely love it. On the other hand, someone your age now probably went to see it back then and came away feeling like "Meh!". :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You forgot about all the other original stuff that's coming out over the next 18 months...

Another DC Movie (Suicide Squad)
    Another Marvel Movie (captain america 3)
    Another Marvel Movie (X-Men 7)
    Another Marvel Movie (Doctor Strange)
    Another Marvel Movie (Gambit)
    Another Marvel Movie (Thor 3)
    Another Marvel Movie (Wolverine 3)
    Another Marvel Movie (Spider-Man)
    Another Star Wars
    Another turtles movie
    Another Pirates of the Caribbean
    Another Planet of the Apes
    Another Star Trek movie
    Another Bourne movie
    Jumanji remake
    Ghostbusters remake
    Jack Reacher 2
    Independence Day 2
    Fast and furious 8
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2
    Wonder Woman
    Transformers 5

Oh, wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hollywood ran out of new ideas ages ago! Some time round about the mid 90s would be a guess.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Hollywood jumped the shark with The Amazing Spiderman in 2012.
    A mere 10 years after the 2002 Sam Raimi version, the 'suits' decided that a re-boot was needed.

If we have to see Peter Parker 'discovering' his new super powers all over again in the near future, then it will be the final nail in the coffin.

valoren wrote: »
    A mere 10 years after the 2002 Sam Raimi version, the 'suits' decided that a re-boot was needed.

It still wasn't as bad as 2003's version of the Hulk.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    It still wasn't as bad as 2003's version of the Hulk.

It had it's failure's (rushed CGI, Nick Nolte totally miscast, poor pacing) but it had some interesting psychological ideas as a comic book movie. An interesting failure for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

They are making movies on tv shows from the ninetys ,and the 80s ,
    Its much easier to make action scifi films now ,
    with cgi and powerful visual effects made on computers .
    A modern pc is 10 times faster than a pc from the 90,s .
    Its much easier to raise 50 million for a movie like star trek than
    make a film based on a new idea .
    EG Star wars , transformers are full of action scenes and special effects ,
    any one all over the world can understand the plot.
    Theres loads of indie films being made which will not be shown in your local cinema .
    Movie studios own the rights to xmen ,spiderman ,star wars ,
    So they will make movies and sequels as long as people wish to see them.
    Most cinemas show action films or blockbusters to appeal to the widest audience .

i would like to see more back to the future films if the script was good with a good cast .
    go to a bookshop theres loads of awful books there ,thrillers ,romance ,
    That have no literary value ,
    And theres great novels and books that have cultural value .And theres loads of awful tv programs being made, eg emmerdale, geordie shore .
    IF you want to find good films read reviews ,
    You have to choose to look for quality tv and films .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They're remaking memento. It makes no sense to remake that film.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

mzungu wrote: »
    Could be on to something there with the hybrids. Hmm, how about Gone with the Matrix? A southern dame has to take up arms against the machines, whilst also trying to win the love of the boy next door Rhett.

This stuff writes itself really!

Oh, oh, oh!! I got one, how about Pride & Prejudice ... and Zombies.

Oh wait....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

ScumLord wrote: »

Really? That's awful news.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Candie wrote: »
    There are only seven basic plots so it was bound to happen. There are only so many fresh variations on a theme you can have.
    Actually they've trimmed it down to just one plot namely Save The Cat.

But as to the topics. It's remakes, sequels and films of very successful (comic)books that already have a mass market. Safe stuff with a proven track record.

Now that Disney own Star Wars they'll be churning out annually , forever. Just look at Wookiepedia or the sheer number of books , there's no shortage of plots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Fun fact, Titanic 2 actually came out in 2010.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1640571/

I watched that one night when I was sick in two ways (one self-inflicted) and I was too weak to turn off the Syfy Channel.

I survived the ordeal (and the sickness didn't last too long either).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Plenty of culchie movies to be made yet

Time for a Fatal Deviation reboot.

ScumLord wrote: »

Ah now they can just feck off!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

valoren wrote: »
    Hollywood jumped the shark with The Amazing Spiderman in 2012.

If we have to see Peter Parker 'discovering' his new super powers all over again in the near future, then it will be the final nail in the coffin.

Yep its awful, but as with everything these days the reasoning is purely profit related. There's a demographic for those films and the thinking is that a new generation of teenagers are now around who can see it for the first time at the cinema.
    I would'nt be at all surprised if we start seeing a 10 year turn around on more franchise reboots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Hollywood is risk-averse. Creativity hasn't dried up, it's just not getting a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Titanic two is out in June.

It has already been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Yes and so have TV. I don't mind Top cAt being brought back, but if I have to watch and more mind melting dragon ****ing crap, I'll smash my TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

kneemos wrote: »
    Should be a maximum time limit of two hours on all movies . It's a bloody commitment to watch some of them.

That depends. Some three hour films, you feel every minute, and some fly by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Watched "The Martain" last week, one of the top 5 movies at the Oscars this year. Appalling movie, made Apollo 13 look good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

learn_more wrote: »
    Watched "The Martain" last week, one of the top 5 movies at the Oscars this year. Appalling movie, made Apollo 13 look good.

I thought it was decent but nothing special. Mad Max Fury Road on the other hand, sweet jesus that was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Fatal Deviation will restore your faith in the movie making business. Even better, it's available in full on YouTube.

I'm amazed Mikey Graham (yes, that one from Boyzone) never hit the Oscars with his incredible role as eh, "Mikey" the gangster. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That_Guy wrote: »
    Fatal Deviation will restore your faith in the movie making business. Even better, it's available in full on YouTube.

I'm amazed Mikey Graham (yes, that one from Boyzone) never hit the Oscars with his incredible role as eh, "Mikey" the gangster. :pac:

Jimmy bennet, the man, the legend, the enigma.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

So many Spidermans.
    Spiderman vs Amazing Spiderman This time it's personal worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The new ghostbusters is criticised for being too much of a departure from the originals by having an all female cast, and also criticised for following the script too closely.

can we just criticise it for being a turgid pile of shite then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Mad Max Fury Road on the other hand, sweet jesus that was bad.

Thought i was the only one who hated that pile of ****e. Whoop-de-****, there was a load of practical special effects in it.

Didn't stop it from being the exact same action movie i've seen roughly a billion times since the 80s.

And don't get me started on ****ing superhero movies. Here's a hint everyone: the good guys win in the end after being in minor peril. Now you never need to see another superhero movie again because i've told you the plot of literally every single one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Films much like modern day music, you have to filter through the shít to get to a diamond.

Advertisement