Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the movie industry ran out of new material?

Options
  • 02-05-2016 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭

Took the Mrs and the kids on an outing today, we all set of in the family ute to the local drive in movies.

"The Jungle Book" was today's chosen movie, and having seen the original 1967 version a fair few times, I was pleased to see the blokes in Disney didn't screw around with the original concept or story line too much.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

However, it dawned on me later, sitting down to some Tucker with the family, the whole movie experience today was built on something that was already done in the past.

Not complaining mind you, we knew well in advance that jungle book was today's theme, but it was even the trailers for upcoming movies that made me realise (if a few hours later mind you)

Today's trailers were, in more or less the order they were shown.

Tarzan. Yep, Disney are doing a remake, looked to me to be very similar to the jungle book, human actors with lots of cgi.

Robinson Crusoe. Animated movie, been done to death.

Top Cat. Used to love this on me Saturday mornings as a bit. Looks like they've went and done a modern, computer animation version, they seem to have strayed from the traditional "cartoon style" I did, and still love to this day, TC and officer Dibble are now computer generated figures. Not sure how I feel about that.

The BFG. Big fan of Roald Dahl, read all his books as a nipper, this is a remake, but the trailer looked amazing, even if I have to go alone, I'm gonna see that movie.

Anyway, what you think?

Has the movie industry ran out of ideas, or are they sticking with a tried an tested strategy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Of course not......

Now looking forward to the independence day, x-men, star trek, iron man & Lego sequels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Of course not......

Now looking forward to the independence day, x-men, star trek, iron man & Lego sequels.

Titanic two is out in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

It's divided into two extremes (moreso now than ever) - low-budget and high-budget.

High-budgets are so high that they can't take too big of a risk, so they'll go with something that has a built-in audience and will guarantee that it won't be a total flop. Remakes, spin-offs etc.

Low-budget movies are made for buttons, so they can afford to be much braver/more extreme. But not many people go see them.

Mid-budget movies have been completely squeezed out, unfortunately. Those would be the kind I'd naturally gravitate towards. That kind of story is now told on tv instead, and many of the people who made those movies are now working on series for HBO, AMC, Amazon Prime, Netflix etc.

There are only seven basic plots so it was bound to happen. There are only so many fresh variations on a theme you can have.

I'm looking forward to a musical version of Mean Terminator Star Wars Girls, though I'm sure even that will feel like a rehash.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd say it's more likely they have just gotten lazy and as long as these remakes keep making a profit it's easier to just keep churning them out.

• Advertisement

This time, it's personal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Should be a maximum time limit of two hours on all movies . It's a bloody commitment to watch some of them.

kneemos wrote: »
    Should be a maximum time limit of two hours on all movies . It's a bloody commitment to watch some of them.

Nah, no way Martin Scorsese could make a movie then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

This time, it's personal!!

Another Rising!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

So many Spidermans.

• Advertisement

Another Rising!

The Iceberg family avenge their brother who was murdered by a human iron floaty thinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Has the movie industry ran out of new material?

Not really.. there are probably more ideas and material to work off now than ever before. There are vaults full of scripts and new material waiting to be read. Distributors and production companies have already bought them.

Why would they want to break the billion dollar cycle of releasing superhero movies and emotionless Jennifer Lawrence performances, though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

In a time when movies were repetitive and picked on the same themes, one man had a vision to be different. He saw the future, a future that was dark and hopeless, a future without originality. Now, from the producer of The Hero with a Thousand Faces and The Seven Basic Plots, comes a new meta-film, involving heros, antagonists, plots, journeys and final resolutions...

Film Movie Story!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Home and Away should do a movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

The film industry has gone like the music Industry...just pump out production line,fast food for the masses..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Plenty of culchie movies to be made yet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Nah, no way Martin Scorsese could make a movie then.

Another plus for the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hollywood is now in thrall to Chinese teenagers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

The film industry has gone like the music Industry...just pump out production line,fast food for the masses..

Gaming industry isn't any better, churning out the same Call of Doody/Fifa/Generic mobile FTP games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Candie wrote: »
    There are only seven basic plots so it was bound to happen. There are only so many fresh variations on a theme you can have.

I'm looking forward to a musical version of Mean Terminator Star Wars Girls, though I'm sure even that will feel like a rehash.

Could be on to something there with the hybrids. Hmm, how about Gone with the Matrix? A southern dame has to take up arms against the machines, whilst also trying to win the love of the boy next door Rhett.

This stuff writes itself really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Plenty of culchie movies to be made yet

Rural Ireland is extremely fertile ground!

It's got tons of potential as an area for fresh film ideas too (infinitely more than Dublin but at the same time I don't want to see dubliners attempting to make films about people from Donegal and most of Irelands filmmakers are gonna be from there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Gaming industry isn't any better, churning out the same Call of Doody/Fifa/Generic mobile FTP games.

My mates hate when I knock down and they are watching some new release film...I do nothing but rip the p!ss out of it until they can't take it seriously..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

This thread annoys me... Stupid question. Like asking have we ran out of music or nooks or paintings... We certainly havent or ever will. Its just that hollywood is in the business of making money so ofcourse theyll repeat the same **** over and over..because as evident from your post. Youll keep going... Independent productions will always be more unique (although not nessarily better).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The new ghostbusters is criticised for being too much of a departure from the originals by having an all female cast, and also criticised for following the script too closely.

So you cant win no matter what you do.

I propose an English version with better spell check:

Well I am not afraid of any of those ghosts; nor am I likely to be afraid of any other ghost that I have been hitherto unaware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Such as?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Just don't make classics anymore like

planes trains
    trading places
    national lampoons, parenthood
    Bruce's millions
    big
    home alone etc

You know real classics that stand the test of time.

It's ****e nowadays.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,185 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Movie industry? Possibly. Not quite but possibly. Movie makers as a whole? No. There are film-makers outside Hollywood. Look them up.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Fun fact, Titanic 2 actually came out in 2010.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1640571/

Advertisement