Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawn of War III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This was a given once Sega started pushing DoW in recent sales events and giveaways, and then suddenly produced a new DLC unit for DoW2 just a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gimme gimme gimme!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Coming soon to iOS and Android!

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Bring back base building.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Bring back base building.

That and the oldschool dune metamap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Hopefully recent RTS' have done well enough that they have the confidence to go full-fat RTS again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Well this is exciting. Ever since they invested in DoW 1 and 2, including new patches and servers, this was likely. Kind of surprised it took so long, to be honest. DoW 1 is probably my most played game of all time thanks to multiplayer, very disappointed in 2. Eager to see what 3 has in store for us.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No sign of a release date or any info about the game itself, but DOW3 confirmed.

Wraith lords and Imperial Knights, a change in scale perhaps, given the larger units involved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Has me excited anyway, titans too, I know there was mods for DOW1 that had titans but be great to have them as part of base game too.

Spear wrote: »
    Wraith lords and Imperial Knights, a change in scale perhaps, given the larger units involved?

They refer to "galactic warfare" in the description, so maybe we get a full galactic campaign?

One thing that just occurred to me: they specifically say Orks, Eldar, and Space Marines - I have a horrible feeling we're going to get endless milking of DLC for each subsequent race. That said, though, there were only 4 of the races in DOW1 and that worked out alright.

that's one classy trailer, had to watch it a few times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Zillah wrote: »
    They refer to "galactic warfare" in the description, so maybe we get a full galactic campaign?

One thing that just occurred to me: they specifically say Orks, Eldar, and Space Marines - I have a horrible feeling we're going to get endless milking of DLC for each subsequent race. That said, though, there were only 4 of the races in DOW1 and that worked out alright.

Well They currently do it with COH2 so I have no doubt this will be the same.

DOW2 is on offer on steam at the moment how does it compare to COH2

Well They currently do it with COH2 so I have no doubt this will be the same.

DOW2 is on offer on steam at the moment how does it compare to COH2

Different leagues entirely

one is squad based, the other isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I still play DoWII regularly, I can't wait for this! Would love different factions than the same Marine/Orc/Eldar though.

Necron love surely coming given DoWII random Last Stand character DLC. Tau also please?

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I still play DoWII regularly, I can't wait for this!
    I'm playing it atm :) and yeah same here

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Very excited for this. Loved the first two games. Just disappointed at the lack of a release date which surely means it's probably ages away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I'm genuinely annoyed, my life Is over once this Is released :L

I stopped playing DOW 2 about 4 months ago after playing It pretty much everyday for years, I thought It's been too long there's no way they'll release a third. ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

OMG
    hqdefault.jpg

I liked DOW 1, but I loved DOW2. I guess I got in to series when DOW1 was very mature and DOW2 only came out. I spend a lot of time in multiplayer in that one, not so much in expansions as it got way too complicated and hard for me.

I know there is big unlove for DOW2 series, but I really loved those. Care about my units was way more fun then just shovel out new units all the time. It was something very satisfying about having a group of Orcs boyz high rank charging in and slaughtering low rank units.

When I sow new Total war game I was a bit dissapointed as I dont really like the middle age Warhammer, but 40k is just fantastic on so many levels.

I just hope they add more races. Necros are still one of my favourite ci-fi entities of all time.

• Advertisement

More good news..

http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3-inside-relics-biggest-rts-yet/

Basebuilding is back!
    Big Armies is back!
    Gabriel Angelos and obviously the Blood Ravens is back!

Also,

bRNzRsaDJieNeZKeMfEw4H-650-80.jpg

and

6Pqc2ZPME28GLxGNZoELmL-650-80.jpg

Would both suggest a working alpha right now, so it may not be unrealistic to think it may be out this year.

bRNzRsaDJieNeZKeMfEw4H-650-80.jpg
    6Pqc2ZPME28GLxGNZoELmL-650-80.jpg

Hell yes!

Rock Paper Shotgun have said it is slated for 2017 :(

I wonder if there is any chance of a Total War style interface with a strategy map and a battle map.

I'm still praying for that metamap - if they stay true to form with this concept, they're essentially using the COH2 model

large armies
    basebuilding (i know it's not strictly COH2 but the facility is there)
    elite collectible and upgradable units - they level up! (again some similarities to how entire armies levelled up in COH2 ardennes assault)

There's a chance they'll use the ardennes assault metamap for the campaign.. please relic, use that style of map!

Actually the PC Gamer article quashes that: you're doing missions on one planet where the factions have converged to capture a mysterious weapon.

Expansions might add a metamap though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Zillah wrote: »
    Hell yes!

Rock Paper Shotgun have said it is slated for 2017 :(

I wonder if there is any chance of a Total War style interface with a strategy map and a battle map.

They something for 1 of the DOW dlc and the last big DLC for COH2.

Also

depends on how the campaign is played out, if it's linear yeah it's out, but if not, there's still a chance. if ye played Ardennes Assault, ye have yer mission at the very start, but you have a metamap to clear through on the way, so there's that. But yeah fcuk it if it's not there, it's not there, it's just something i've always wanted in an RTS, it's like being at the flix with no popcorn. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There's a sale on Steam on the older games.

That or wait for another humble bundle, Sega/relic are very frequently on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I never managed to play DOW1 (it doesn't work on W10) but going on the 3 expansions, in terms of mechanics and polish there's no question that DOW2 was superior.

There was far more depth to the actual gameplay than just bum-rush the enemy with your honour guard.

The RPG elements loot and the permanent world made it really compelling.

Hopefully this is going to be taking the best of both worlds - hero units like Gabriel Angelos getting his own wargear that you scavenge, a skill tree that actually changes how you play (your commander and Sgt. Tarkus' skill trees drastically changed how you played the game in DOW2), but the scale of DOW1, the base building and the much greater breadth of units.

And eventually the world domination style game mode that seems to be like crack to everyone.

The biggest problem with DOW2 was the skirmish and multiplayer which was neither like the single player, nor anywhere near as good as DOW1. It's one thing to move away from the core gameplay for a self-contained campaign, but to strip it completely out of the game was disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Probably in the minority but I'd be of the opinion that DOW is much better than DOW2. DOW2 missions were pretty monotonous and it was always just a game of strategic attrition, no rush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

DOW 2 as far as multiplayer for me was 1000x better than DOW. I'm not Into building tons of building and being able to just produce troops like ants and run them Into battle with limited strategy. DOW 2 online still to this day challenges me mentally.

Advertisement