Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough Sleeper Passes Away

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Zillah wrote: »
    You're the guy who shamelessly plans to live on the dole for the rest of his life, right? Not sure you're in much of a position to mock someone else for a sense of entitlement.

A modern day Bukowski. Though he didn't live off the State.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I remember back in college a fella a year or 2 behind me was out for some Christmas party ,
    he left his coat in the cloakroom and left the nightclub, he went back to get it but
    the prick bouncers didn't let him in.
    He decided to sleep in a park somewhere and died.

Really sad - think they named a lab after him in the college.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

If only there was a 24-hour McDonalds nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

poa wrote: »
    Insensitive?
    Spare a thought for his mother and father; 4 sisters and 3 brothers.
    You are a disgrace mocking a dead man like that.
    What was he thinking?
    He was thinking I want to see my team play football and have a few pints.
    Is this a thing now?
    Yes now, and in the past, and for a long time. Wake up.
    Lads have gone all over the country, and Europe, and the world; to see their favourite team/band/gig, etc. Have a good session, then sleep it off; and make their way home after.
    Some of us live on the edge, take risks, live life to the full, and that means stepping out of our comfort zone; mammy home, and the hotel.
    The others umbilical cords don't stretch far enough, and they play it safe and check into that hotel like mammy said.
    I feel sorry for the lad, and his family. What happened to him could have happened to me or my friends over the years many times.
    I pity any man that would mock a dead man like you are.
    The shame is all on you, not him.
    Did mammy give you a lift from D4 to Electric Picnic in the Cayenne, or did daddy fly you down in his chopper?

Mod: Don't post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

edbrez wrote: »
    If only there was a 24-hour McDonalds nearby.

They throw you out after a short while, there's very little by the way of places to stay, there are internet cafes that allow people to stay all night for a small fee, we bring them in some food and things as part of the run. I'd imagine he was left with no other option

My attitude towards homelessness has been completely changed since becoming involved in helping, I've seen now how dangerous hostels can be and how hard it is to get the basics. Of course addiction plays a huge part in it but the help isn't there. Waiting lists to get into addiction centres are as long as a long thing. If I lived on the streets I'd need something to get me through the night too.

With that said I'll happily take donations of clothes/food from anybody to distribute so if anybody has anything please drop me a PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,989 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gannicus wrote: »
    Not uncommon at all. I have aquaintances that go to gigs all around Europe. The just hang out/sleep in bus/train station or airports. If there's nowhere to sleep around they'll find a park bench and try score some booze.

Why the **** would anyone do that ? Where is the comfort and enjoyment in that ?... Enjoy the gig for an hour and a half and spend another 12 hours or whatever freezing your bollocks off and fighting hypothermia on a park bench ? You'd have to be some ****in eejit in fairness...

I also go to a lot of gigs around Europe and if I don't have the money to get a bed in a poxy b&b at the very least I just don't go... madness... :confused::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

pablo128 wrote: »
    No. My father gave us a lift up the mountains in his Hiace and we went camping in tents, smartarse. We didn't just lie on the fcuking ground and hope for the best.

Your father drove a Hiace you say. Are you a traveller? They seem to like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Even if he is a traveller...what difference does it make ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

You really are just a deeply unpleasant person.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The only time I slept on the street was in Spain before La tomatina. It would have only been a couple of hours and there's no danger of freezing to death over there.

In Ireland if I get stuck I'd stay awake, I wouldn't be able to sleep in the cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,467 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

RIP to that lad it can happen to anyone, its happened to me once or twice in my life, it could be a missed connection coming from the airport due to any set of circumstances. Bus Eireann used to have stupid times for finishing in connections to other parts of the country with last buses at 7.30 - 8 pm, unless it was en route to Dublin. Its much more improved now with additional bus services such as Aircoach, Citylink and Gobus, even Bus Eireann has improved their connections. Anyway back on topic, its no joke been caught out in a city with no cash, accommodation and a useless bus ticket.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ireland is a very small island and can't see how anything like that could happen.

Parents, siblings and friends I am sure would rather go out of the way to pick up someone in such circumstances.

Whole thing is bizarre and stupid.

R.i.p to the guy but hopefully an eye opener to others that they don't try it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A quick google of his name and address throws up something completely unexpected. Not sure if it's appropriate to post a link, or whether it's relevant.
    Either way, it's an awful thing to happen and RIP to the poor guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Mod: Don't post in this thread again

?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I was talking about this last night while out on the soup run. Apparently he had availed of a sleeping bag from one of the volunteer runs, but was found lying clutching the blooming thing.
    The bags we give out are really heavy and designed to be used outdoors. So sad

Who do you do the soup run for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'd rather not say in public if you don't mind. If you'd like to get involved I can advise by PM

I'd rather not say in public if you don't mind. If you'd like to get involved I can advise by PM

Thats ok , I work in homeless services and Im interested in what you know about hostels being dangerous... Theres quite a few types of hostels from CWI to TEA , One nigh only and so on ...I've worked in drug services too and while hostels are not for the faint hearted to make a very generalized statement that they are dangerous is unfair to people that live in them and work in them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Campbells.

edbrez wrote: »
    Campbells.

Most likely.

Advertisement