Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough Sleeper Passes Away

Options
  • 30-04-2016 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭

At the risk of sounding insensitive, what was this unfortunate chap thinking?
    http://killarneydaily.com/kerryman-found-dead-st-stephens-green-laid-rest-today/

It appears he came up to Dublin to watch a GAA final his county were playing in, somehow decided to sleep rough that night and froze to death. Hopefully these type of incidents are rare.

Is this a thing now? I mean, have lads been coming up for some match or other and deciding 'fcuk paying for a hotel room, I'll just find a quiet spot to kip until the bus/train tomorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Nothing about freezing to death in the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Nothing new at all about that. However, you'd usually make sure that you've got a spot in a bus/train/airport

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Arrive at a city to watch a mattch no accomodation only enough money for drink

Great times certainly not unusual

Bloke was unlucky that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

pablo128 wrote: »
    and froze to death.

maybe not
    The cause of his death is not clear. It was not a particularly cold night, according to Met Éireann, with a minimum air temperature of 6.3 degrees and a minimum ground temperature of 5.2 degrees, recorded at the nearest station in the Phoenix Park.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/man-found-dead-in-stephen-s-green-was-up-for-gaa-match-1.2630062

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

RIP :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

6 degrees is plenty cold to get hypothermia, especially if you're A) in contact with the ground, B) drunk, and C) asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Not uncommon at all. I have aquaintances that go to gigs all around Europe. The just hang out/sleep in bus/train station or airports. If there's nowhere to sleep around they'll find a park bench and try score some booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Really? Jaysus I must have been sheltered as a child. If I intended going away somewhere for a gig or match or something, I'd always make sure I had somewhere to stay beforehand.

On reflection, if there was a few people with the same intention and the promise of good weather, I can kinda see the attraction. More beer money for a start. But on my own? Not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I work in public transport and a daily occurrence is people "just showing up" at random times looking for a way to get home after an event/trip when the last service going their way was hours ago.

They usually just sort of act like it's your fault they didn't plan properly and are now stuck in a strange city for the evening with just the clothes on their back.

Couldn't live like that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I've seen older men going to England for football matches, with just the clothes on their back, and no bags.....and many of them are away for the full weekend.....the mind boggles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Arrive at a city to watch a mattch no accomodation only enough money for drink

Great times certainly not unusual

Bloke was unlucky that's all

Spending your cash on drink instead of accommodation or a way home is not bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I know there's one in Cork, but how common are 24 hour cafés/internet cafés? I almost did it once, when there was a real risk of not getting a bus home because of overbooking. Internet cafés are warm, there's tea and coffee there usually. You generally get an ok chair, and you can spend your night messing about on the web. I often spent all night in an internet café playing games as a teenager. €10 for midnight until 8am or so. Although that was a social thing and not because I had nowhere to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I was talking about this last night while out on the soup run. Apparently he had availed of a sleeping bag from one of the volunteer runs, but was found lying clutching the blooming thing.
    The bags we give out are really heavy and designed to be used outdoors. So sad

I worked in Holland back in '95 and '96. 2 of us went up to Amsterdam one weekend and went to a rave until 6 am. When it was over, we stumbled about for a bit until the first train back to where we were staying. That was probably the closest I've come to winging it.:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Spare a thought for the poor homeless fella who found him. Like he hasn't enough stress and strain on him being homeless he now has to deal with the trauma of discovering a dead body. His poor nerves must be in shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I thought this was about the boardsie that goes by the name of Rough Sleeper :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭caille

I never did it myself but it was very common when I was going to gigs and concerts, with male relatives and friends particularly. I nearly got caught out a few times myself with money and having not booked somewhere and knew where the all-night internet cafes were, just in case (I remember two being around).

The main rule though, was, you just didn't stay outside for the night, regardless of the season, for safety reasons, you found somewhere indoors, never outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I thought this was about the boardsie that goes by the name of Rough Sleeper :pac:

Gas alright :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

At the risk of sounding insensitive, what was this unfortunate chap thinking?
    http://killarneydaily.com/kerryman-found-dead-st-stephens-green-laid-rest-today/

It appears he came up to Dublin to watch a GAA final his county were playing in, somehow decided to sleep rough that night and froze to death. Hopefully these type of incidents are rare.

Is this a thing now? I mean, have lads been coming up for some match or other and deciding 'fcuk paying for a hotel room, I'll just find a quiet spot to kip until the bus/train tomorrow?

Insensitive?
    Spare a thought for his mother and father; 4 sisters and 3 brothers.
    You are a disgrace mocking a dead man like that.
    What was he thinking?
    He was thinking I want to see my team play football and have a few pints.
    Is this a thing now?
    Yes now, and in the past, and for a long time. Wake up.
    Lads have gone all over the country, and Europe, and the world; to see their favourite team/band/gig, etc. Have a good session, then sleep it off; and make their way home after.
    Some of us live on the edge, take risks, live life to the full, and that means stepping out of our comfort zone; mammy home, and the hotel.
    The others umbilical cords don't stretch far enough, and they play it safe and check into that hotel like mammy said.
    I feel sorry for the lad, and his family. What happened to him could have happened to me or my friends over the years many times.
    I pity any man that would mock a dead man like you are.
    The shame is all on you, not him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

poa wrote: »
    Insensitive?
    What was he thinking?
    Is this a thing now?
    Lads have gone all over the country, and Europe, and the world; to see their favourite team/band/gig, etc. Have a good session, then sleep it off; and make their way home after.
    Some of us live on the edge, take risks, live life to the full, and that means stepping out of our comfort zone; mammy home, and the hotel.
    The others umbilical cords don't stretch far enough, and they play it safe and check into that hotel like mammy said.
    I feel sorry for the lad, and his family. What happened to him could have happened to me or my friends over the years many times.

Oh, give over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Insensitive?
    What was he thinking?
    Is this a thing now?

Welcome to our modern, blameless society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

Really? Jaysus I must have been sheltered as a child. If I intended going away somewhere for a gig or match or something, I'd always make sure I had somewhere to stay beforehand.

On reflection, if there was a few people with the same intention and the promise of good weather, I can kinda see the attraction. More beer money for a start. But on my own? Not a chance.

Did mammy give you a lift from D4 to Electric Picnic in the Cayenne, or did daddy fly you down in his chopper?

Insensitive?
    What was he thinking?
    Is this a thing now?

Get to fcuk. Where did I mock him? I expressed my surprise that someone would do such a thing. I'm still surprised to be honest. You are mocking people who DON'T sleep rough, as it happens. Umbilical cord this, mammy that, comfort zone etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Insensitive?
    What was he thinking?
    Is this a thing now?

The poster didn't mock him once. Do you know what mock means? As for your 'shame' comments, utterly bizarre.

Did mammy give you a lift from D4 to Electric Picnic in the Cayenne, or did daddy fly you down in his chopper?

No. My father gave us a lift up the mountains in his Hiace and we went camping in tents, smartarse. We didn't just lie on the fcuking ground and hope for the best.

Trying to glamorise sleeping in a park is a little absurd. You're not skydiving, you're not exploring the arctic, you're not changing career; you're sleeping rough - nothing "on the edge" about it.

You're the guy who shamelessly plans to live on the dole for the rest of his life, right? Not sure you're in much of a position to mock someone else for a sense of entitlement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Saipanne wrote: »
    Welcome to our modern, blameless society.

Just waiting for someone to blame the government or "society" for this poor chaps decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

eeguy wrote: »
    Just waiting for someone to blame the government or "society" for this poor chaps decisions.

A quick google of the poor fella in question means something else might get blamed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Years ago something similar almost happened to my friend.
    He was out on the lash in the city centre at christmas. This was before deregulation so taxis were few and far between. He queued for two hours at a taxi rank before finally getting a taxi home.

The taximan him woke him up in the back seat and let him out. He then discovered that he left his keys in the taxi.
    His girlfriend was asleep upstairs, but couldn't hear him banging on the door.
    Eventually he climbed into the back garden and fell asleep on the stone slabs. Luckily there was an old carpet in the garden and he had the sense to wrap himself up in the carpet.
    He woke up in the morning with 2 inches off snow all around him.
    If the carpet wasn't there god knows what would have happened to him.

It's very easy to make silly mistakes when you're drunk and knackered.

Advertisement