Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport name change by deed poll

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Robotbikeboy

I've changed my second name by deed poll, and have gone on to use said deed poll (which I did enroll on the register - quite the hassle to do by the way) to change the rest of my details with the bank, accounts, bills, revenue, social services and drivers license.

I've been told by the Passport Office that a name change is the same as an identity change - which baffles me some, surely they are the same thing?

Anyway, am I not allowed to change my name then until I have two years of documented usage? How do I travel then, after all, it is illegal to travel on a passport that isn't in your name? Am I stuck in Ireland then until I'm able to change this?

If I travel on this passport, how do I travel with my newly arrived daughter, who has her birth registered under the new second name, and now where - according to our passports, we all have different second names? How do I prove she is my daughter to authorities overseas when our names on our passports don't match, and none of my other identity documentation matches my passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I've changed my second name by deed poll, and have gone on to use said deed poll (which I did enroll on the register - quite the hassle to do by the way) to change the rest of my details with the bank, accounts, bills, revenue, social services and drivers license.

I've been told by the Passport Office that a name change is the same as an identity change - which baffles me some, surely they are the same thing?

Anyway, am I not allowed to change my name then until I have two years of documented usage? How do I travel then, after all, it is illegal to travel on a passport that isn't in your name? Am I stuck in Ireland then until I'm able to change this?
    It's perfectly legal to have two, or indeed more, names, and it's quite common. A married woman may continue to use her maiden name professionally, for example, while adopting her husband's name for social purposes. Or someone may use an English name in some contexts, and an equivalent Irish name in others.

So it's a mistake to think that what you now have is a passport that "isn't in your name". It is in your name, or at any rate in one of your names.
    If I travel on this passport, how do I travel with my newly arrived daughter, who has her birth registered under the new second name, and now where - according to our passports, we all have different second names? How do I prove she is my daughter to authorities overseas when our names on our passports don't match, and none of my other identity documentation matches my passport?
    You bring a copy of the child's birth cert (as many married women who do not change their names have to do routinely) plus a copy of the deed poll making the link between your name as it appears on the birth cert and your name as it appears in your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Good morning

From experience there is no point arguing with Civil Servants- They dont care and they are incapable of anything approaching independent thought and will slavishly follow the rules.

Contact the Minister with the Deed Poll and your Marriage Cert and ask him to email the Passport Office

https://www.finegael.ie/our-people/ministers/cork-south-central/simon-coveney/

Advertisement