Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple are prosecuted for failing to treat son with meningitis

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

There is no vaccine against viral meningitis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

enda1 wrote: »

Is the meningitis vaccine we get for a different form then? Or are you denying the efficacy of the vaccine we get?

JustShon wrote: »
    Is the meningitis vaccine we get for a different form then? Or are you denying the efficacy of the vaccine we get?

Oh I'm all for vaccines! Its just that there are many illnesses for which there are no vaccines that can cause meningitis.

Oh I'm all for vaccines! Its just that there are many illnesses for which there are no vaccines that can cause meningitis.

Ah ok, so the "meningitis vaccine" we get is for one / several of those diseases?

JustShon wrote: »
    Ah ok, so the "meningitis vaccine" we get is for one / several of those diseases?

http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/babychildimm/vaccprevdisease/menc/

We get vaccinated against bacterial meningitis.

The most common cause of viral meningitis are non-polio enteroviruses for which there is no vaccine.

• Advertisement

http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/babychildimm/vaccprevdisease/menc/

We get vaccinated against bacterial meningitis.

The most common cause of viral meningitis are non-polio enteroviruses for which there is no vaccine.

Thanks for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

You're right and wrong on that. There's various causes for meningitis, both bacterial and viral, and there are vaccines for some bacterial causes and some viral causes, but not all of either of them.

Samaris wrote: »
    You're right and wrong on that. There's various causes for meningitis, both bacterial and viral, and there are vaccines for some bacterial causes and some viral causes, but not all of either of them.

I knew someone would get into a semantic argument about this :rolleyes:

What I said is not incorrect in any way. There is a vaccine against mumps for example which could lead to viral meningitis - however there is no vaccine against viral meningitis itself nor against the most common causes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,266 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What I said is not incorrect in any way. There is a vaccine against mumps for example which could lead to viral meningitis - however there is no vaccine against viral meningitis itself nor against the most common causes of it.

Is there not now a vaccine for meningitis B?

Is there not now a vaccine for meningitis B?

That's against some strains of the bacterial illness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

True but it doesn't make a person any less of a d1ck for refusing a vaccine that minimises the risk of disease for their child.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    True but it doesn't make a person any less of a d1ck for refusing a vaccine that minimises the risk of disease for their child.

I don't disagree. But in this specific unfortunate case there may not be a causal link.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't disagree. But in this specific unfortunate case there may not be a causal link.

Actually I am pretty sure the parents took few or zero of the available options that may have minimised the risk involved.

The vaccination refusal is a big part of why their child died.
    Actually I am pretty sure the parents took few or zero of the available options that may have minimised the risk involved.

You're first point bears no substance in fact. The chances are that the underlying cause of the viral meningitis was not something that could be vaccinated against.

I never said they acted appropriately in any way, so don't twist my words thanks.

Of course they should have vaccinated their child but the child could well still have contracted the illness which caused its viral meningitis. Then the parents acted horribly in not bringing the child to medical professionals promptly.

It is gross ignorance of medicine and vaccinations specifically which leads people like them to take such poor and costly decisions. Everyone on this thread seems aghast at the parents which is great and are openly mocking their ignorance, but on the other hand there seems to be huge ignorance as to the efficacy and application of these vaccines.

Education is clearly lacking on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,266 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That's against some strains of the bacterial illness

It was bacterial meningitis that the kid died from.

It was bacterial meningitis that the kid died from.

Oh, I hadn't realised that, I thought I'd read he'd died of viral.

Soz steadyeddy above, jumped the gun.

Advertisement