Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are we obsessed with making our beds?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

What's wrong with making "get out of bed" the first task of the day? Followed by staggering to the kitchen and put the kettle on, while rubbing sleep from your eyes. I know if I can get that far, I can take on the world. :pac:

Jeez, I dunno. That seems like a step too far for me. I'd prefer something like:

Task 1: Groan and roll over
    Task 2: Hit the snooze button
    Task 3: Hit the snooze button
    Task 4: Hit the snooze button...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭McGrath5

An unmade bed makes the room look untidy/messy.

Making it only takes about 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

McGrath5 wrote: »

Making it only takes about 30 seconds.

You can make a bed in 30 seconds that's a record, is it wood or metal that you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Is there an untidy bedroom inspector covertly checking peoples unmade beds that I am unaware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

maudgonner wrote: »
    Jeez, I dunno. That seems like a step too far for me. I'd prefer something like:

Task 1: Groan and roll over
    Task 2: Hit the snooze button
    Task 3: Hit the snooze button
    Task 4: Hit the snooze button...

That's why I'm so much more successful than you! I bet my "Still To Do From Yesterday" list is at least twice as long as yours. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

I have a steel trace wire across my ceiling. Every day, when I get up, I fold the quilt so that the corner I was under is uppermost. I hang the quilt over the wire, my corner exposed to the air.

Then, I flip the futon up against the wall. Dogs can't get on it and bite it that way. And I'm good to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

MRledzepo wrote: »
    There's an interesting theory that if you make your bed then you are set up to be more successful than someone who hasn't . Think of making your bed as the very first task of the day and once you complete that task your onto your next task and so on . Making your bed gives you the Pride to pursue the next task of the day and annother and annother .

My first task of the day is successfully making it to the toilet without stubbing a toe :pac:

I don't get the obsession with making the bed. I pull the duvet down, get out of bed and get ready for the day. I'm not in the the bedroom until going to bed when I will pull the duvet back up.

Leaving the duvet down also lets the bed breathe a little.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭poa

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Is it just because it looks neat? Who's it looking neat for? I'm usually the only person in my room but I know I wouldn't judge someone else on the state of their bed.

Is their some secret I'm not aware of whereby bed bugs don't like made beds?

Do you have kids and do you insist they make their beds? Why? I never understood my own parents obsession with the tidiness of my bed, if it was to instill a sense of tidiness in me, it was completely unsuccessful.

I wouldn't do women's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,888 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Makes the room so much neater. It's the easiest thing you can do improve the look of the room, especially if you are in a rush. A messed up looking bed is a bit of an eye sore.

Who stands around admiring the inside of a bedroom? Or spends any time in it other than to go to sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You can make a bed in 30 seconds that's a record, is it wood or metal that you use?

I'd say it's made of idioms...

• Advertisement

Who stands around admiring the inside of a bedroom? Or spends any time in it other than to go to sleep?

Oh whisky, you have been missing out! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,888 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

maudgonner wrote: »
    Oh whisky, you have been missing out! :pac:

Oh yeah, and that...

But you're not taking note of how nice the curtains are then, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I never used to care, but my bedroom is my living room too and I don't like looking over and seeing the bed unmade.

Oh yeah, and that...

But you're not taking note of how nice the curtains are then, are you?

I dunno, it depends how talented the guy is. Sometimes you need to relieve the boredom :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

There's an interesting theory that if you make your bed then you are set up to be more successful than someone who hasn't . Think of making your bed as the very first task of the day and once you complete that task your onto your next task and so on . Making your bed gives you the Pride to pursue the next task of the day and annother and annother .

I'd probably just get back into bed after making it in the morning. So no, i don't get into a made bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Is there an untidy bedroom inspector covertly checking peoples unmade beds that I am unaware of?

:confused:

I simply like to keep my bedroom and rest of the house tidy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Nah, waking up when I dont want to is my first task of the day and I do it every day to the point of I think im gonna give it up soon :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I don't make my bed because I like to keep my bedroom untidy.

gutenberg wrote: »
    the 'warm and dry' conditions of an unmade bed are unattractive to dust mites, and in fact they are unable to survive. Making the bed keeps the sheets slight damp from you having slept in them, which enables the mites to thrive.

Which is why "making the bed" to me means straightening the quilt and folding it back to air the bed :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I usually try to make my bed - it only really takes a few seconds. It just looks better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

- Alarm goes off
    - Snooze
    - Alarm goes off again
    - Get up.. stumble to kitchen and turn on the boiler/water
    - Back to bed for 25-30 mins
    - Get up again, go to bathroom, turn on shower
    - Back to bedroom, straighten duvet
    - Back to shower which is now nice and hot

Result :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I presume seeing this as a task is a bit of a misnomer for most people. I have a duvet and undersheet. Takes about 20 seconds to 'make'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I presume seeing this as a task is a bit of a misnomer for most people. I have a duvet and undersheet. Takes about 20 seconds to 'make'.

20 seconds?

Not if you have the contents of your handbag thrown all over the bed.

Advertisement