Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are we obsessed with making our beds?

Options
  • 27-04-2016 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭

Is it just because it looks neat? Who's it looking neat for? I'm usually the only person in my room but I know I wouldn't judge someone else on the state of their bed.

Is their some secret I'm not aware of whereby bed bugs don't like made beds?

Do you have kids and do you insist they make their beds? Why? I never understood my own parents obsession with the tidiness of my bed, if it was to instill a sense of tidiness in me, it was completely unsuccessful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

As my father always said, I'm not asking you to make your bed, it's already made, I'm asking you to dress your bed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Shopping in Ikea has its drawbacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

In case you get hit by a bus!

Oh wait, that's fresh underwear.... So the house looks nice for robbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,238 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

a well dressed bed is more comfortable to get into, rather than dragging a crumbled up duvet(s) over yourself, IMO anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's so bats can't get in under the covers and come flying out at you when you're going to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

We're obsessed with making our beds? :confused:

I sleep under a quilt, I don't do sheets apart from the one on the mattress so it takes me 2 seconds to straighten the quilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

It's so bats can't get in under the covers and come flying out at you when you're going to bed.

You can tell you live in the country when nesting bats in your bed is a concern! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,639 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I assume this means you must never really take any women home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I don't know either. When I was a teenager in the hot American South, and I first became conscious of sweating at night, I always wanted to air my bed, so I would fold the sheet and summer quilt over the footboard and prop the pillows vertically against the headboard. My mother saw the point, but it drove my fussy father round the bend.

If company was coming over, and I expected them to stay overnight, I would make the guest bed up fresh for them. In the meantime it has just a throw over it for dust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Well, interestingly enough, there are some theories which say that not making your bed is in fact healthier overall, as the 'warm and dry' conditions of an unmade bed are unattractive to dust mites, and in fact they are unable to survive. Making the bed keeps the sheets slight damp from you having slept in them, which enables the mites to thrive.

I've never made my bed, used to drive my parents scatty :pac: Now I feel justified :p
    I do appreciate that from an aesthetic point of view, a freshly-made bed is very appealing to climb into.

Source for dust mites claim: here

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I have a bungalow and my bedroom is at the front of the house. Anyone coming to my front door will see if my bed is made or not. So if I want to open my curtains I have to make my bed.

Some days I don't open my curtains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ah let me tell you now lads making yoru bed will always stand to you. The amount of drop dead gorgeous women I've brought back to my house only to have them turn tail and flee as soon as they spied my unmade bed.

Sure no wonder we've so many proverbs about unmade beds in Ireland.

"You need an unmade bed like a hole in the head."
    "Straighten up them sheets if you want your day to be complete."
    "Pull up the duvet if you want her to get groovay."

I could go on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I never make my bed, just re-adjust the quilt when re-entering, does my OH's head in :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You'll never win her over if you don't puff that pillow cover

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Samaris wrote: »
    You can tell you live in the country when nesting bats in your bed is a concern! :D

Around 8 or 9 years ago my mother was in bed, she had gone to bed early, next thing I heard screams. Her room was dark so not knowing what was crawling next to her head, had her terrified. :pac:
    Right next to her head was this really big bat. So I came to the rescue and removed the pillow with the bat.

She had her bed made, didn't stop the bat...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Because it makes your room looks tidy.
    I take pride in my home and like every room to be clean, tidy and presentable.
    By leaving the bed unmade, it makes the room look messy.

It's all about making things look organised and in order.
    I do air the bed in the morning though, by taking the duvet off, and the pillows and opening the window, but I go back in an hour or two later and make the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

Make the bed???...ah here next thing people will expect the sheets changed every year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I find it hard to sleep in a bed that I get back into unmade. Feels slovenly.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Who's we?

I never make the bed :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭MRledzepo

There's an interesting theory that if you make your bed then you are set up to be more successful than someone who hasn't . Think of making your bed as the very first task of the day and once you complete that task your onto your next task and so on . Making your bed gives you the Pride to pursue the next task of the day and annother and annother .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Speedwell wrote: »
    If company was coming over, and I expected them to stay overnight, I would make the guest bed up fresh for them. In the meantime it has just a throw over it for dust.

I give my guests a sheet and a duvet and tell them to do it themselves - that way they know no-one else has slept in it before them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Makes the room so much neater. It's the easiest thing you can do improve the look of the room, especially if you are in a rush. A messed up looking bed is a bit of an eye sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Guffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You'll never win her over if you don't puff that pillow cover

"Remember to straighten that blanket if you want her to **** it."

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My mammy tells me to, and it hides the stains.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    "Remember to straighten that blanket if you want her to **** it."

Hospital corners give a girl the horn...ers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its best not to make the bed when you get up as it should be aired first, tidy it but then turn down the covers and when you get home from work or whatever then make it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

gufc21 wrote: »
    When in the military I used to bull my boots to a mirror shine everyday...

I'm out nearly two & a half decades now & haven't polished a pair of boots since :eek: ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

MRledzepo wrote: »
    Think of making your bed as the very first task of the day and once you complete that task your onto your next task and so on . Making your bed gives you the Pride to pursue the next task of the day and annother and annother .

What's wrong with making "get out of bed" the first task of the day? Followed by staggering to the kitchen and put the kettle on, while rubbing sleep from your eyes. I know if I can get that far, I can take on the world. :pac:

Then
    - check to see if anyone sent any interesting e-mails overnight
    - check New Posts on boards.ie & other forums
    - check phone to see if any idiot thought I'd answer before I woke up
    Along with the kettle challenge, that's four tasks done before getting dressed! :cool:

And then: check to-do list for yesterday ("make bed" probably wasn't on it :P )

Advertisement