Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"You shouldn't speak ill of the dead"

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I agree with the other posters who say it best when they say nothing at all. If I don't like someone when they're alive I'm very unlikely to like them much better when they're dead, but me speaking ill of them or reminding everybody what an horrendous individual they were ain't going to make them any more or less dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

techdiver wrote: »
    Reminds me of this thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98783090

People defending a cnut with the usual excuse of respect etc.

His cohort, Liam Lawlor, was also a "great lad" once dead, despite the misery he caused countless families through greed and corruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

I think it's just in case the deceased hear you (if there is an afterlife that is). Same way holy people wouldn't say a bad word about Jesus or God incase he's listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

smash wrote: »
    Out of "Respect"... It's a load of shíte.
    Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Respect is too valuable a commodity to be given freely, it must be earned.

*cough*bull*****cough* Well, it's something I feel strongly about anyway. Respect is LOST rather than earned. I do not demand that every person I meet proves themselves to me to give them the basic respect due another person. What sort of gyroscopically self-centred view of the world is that anyway? Do you truly think that everyone else should pander to you for your respect rather than just people treating each other as they might hope to be treated back?

Sure, there are people I don't respect. But I started off with them with an open mind, I would hope, and treated them with courtesy and manners. If they pissed me off enough, yeah, I would have lost respect for them. But most adults in my life have responded to respect with respect. Rather than my demanding their respect first before I'll deign to have respect for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Samaris wrote: »
    *cough*bull*****cough* Well, it's something I feel strongly about anyway. Respect is LOST rather than earned. I do not demand that every person I meet proves themselves to me to give them the basic respect due another person. What sort of gyroscopically self-centred view of the world is that anyway? Do you truly think that everyone else should pander to you for your respect rather than just people treating each other as they might hope to be treated back?

Sure, there are people I don't respect. But I started off with them with an open mind, I would hope, and treated them with courtesy and manners. If they pissed me off enough, yeah, I would have lost respect for them. But most adults in my life have responded to respect with respect. Rather than my demanding their respect first before I'll deign to have respect for them.
    I do not demand, I do not expect every person I meet to prove themselves to me & I don't think that everyone else should pander to me for my respect...

But sure you're entitled to your opinion, as am I entitled to mine...we just differ ;):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

techdiver wrote: »
    Reminds me of this thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98783090

People defending a cnut with the usual excuse of respect etc.
    Yeah I remember that, it was grating to read people waxing lyrical about a man who caused so much damage.
    His death should have been reported so we could remember what he did.
    There's no way his eulogy should have been covered.

Advertisement