Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"You shouldn't speak ill of the dead"

Options
  • 22-04-2016 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭

Really? Why not? This is something that annoys me. Why should we praise someone in death that was not a particularly nice person in life?

I find this falseness quite annoying. If we are honest, there are a lot of very unpleasant people in the world. Why act as if someone deserves to put on a pedestal and praised just because they have passed.

I have heard this saying bandied about a good bit recently. No way would I suddenly change my opinion (or be perceived to have) of someone just because they died.

Edit: To clarify, I am not suggesting we should all start slating someone maliciously once they die. I am talking about someone who was spoken of badly in life and yet in death is spoken of as if they were a good, decent human being.

What do others think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Really? Why not? This is something that annoys me. Why should we praise someone in death that was not a particularly nice person in life?

I find this falseness quite annoying. If we are honest, there are a lot of very unpleasant people in the world. Why act as if someone deserves to put on a pedestal and praised just because they have passed.

I have heard this saying bandied about a good bit recently. No way would I suddenly change my opinion of someone just because they died.

What do others think?
    Agreed, WTF are the dead going to do about it anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

Because it's pointless and they're not here to defend themselves.

Although that Hitler feller was a right cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I'll not hear a bad word about Hitler, a grand lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Out of "Respect"... It's a load of shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

I agree to an extent. If someone was a piece of sh1t then it sticks in the throat when people get up and talk about how lovely they were etc.

I think the real reason has nothing to do with respect for the dead person but to do with respecting surviving family members. Even the biggest piece of sh1t in the world has people who miss them when they die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

smash wrote: »
    Out of "Respect"... It's a load of shíte.
    Respect is too valuable a commodity to be given freely, it must be earned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Cathy.C wrote: »
    Because it's pointless and they're not here to defend themselves.

It's pointless acting they are what they weren't. The falseness can be hysterical though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Heaven has anudder angle.

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Respect is too valuable a commodity to be given freely, it must be earned.

You said it better than I could. That is what I mean. This idea that respect is given in death when nothing was done to earn it in life.

Such hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Been beaten with the Hitler comments :D .

Stalin was a f*cking legend tho!

My Dad is a great fan, he has a 6 x 4 foot portrait of him hanging in his living room.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

It's pointless acting they are what they weren't. The falseness can be hysterical though.

I hear you but it's a two sided coin as some people take advantage of the fact that someone has died and throw out the most outrageous horse bollox about them. If people have something to say about someone, then imo they should have the guts to do it when that person is still alive, otherwise they should just stfu about them and get on with their own lives while they are still lucky enough to have one.

JustShon wrote: »
    I agree to an extent. If someone was a piece of sh1t then it sticks in the throat when people get up and talk about how lovely they were etc.

I think the real reason has nothing to do with respect for the dead person but to do with respecting surviving family members. Even the biggest piece of sh1t in the world has people who miss them when they die.

Most real aholes are likely known to be that by their families as well. Maybe it would be better to say nothing other than offer condolences to the family than act all false and hypocritical.

False respect is a joke. And the person giving it always looks like an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I hear you but it's a two sided coin as some people take advantage of the fact that someone has died and throw out the most outrageous horse bollox about them. If people have something to say about someone, then imo they should have the guts to do it when they are alive, otherwise they should just stfu and get on with their lives while they are still lucky enough to have one.

Boom!

I hear you but it's a two sided coin as some people take advantage of the fact that someone has died and throw out the most outrageous horse bollox about them. If people have something to say about someone, then imo they should have the guts to do it when that person is still alive, otherwise they should just stfu about them and get on with their own lives while they are still lucky enough to have one.

I'm not talking about malicious people that spread lies about the dead. They are no better than the ahole that died.

Most real aholes are likely known to be that by their families as well. Maybe it would be better to say nothing other than offer condolences to the family than act all false and hypocritical.

Sure, I'm not advocating going on about how amazing they are when they were an arsehole in life.

Maybe though, just maybe, it'd be tactful to not talk too loudly about how much of an arsehole they were where their grieving family and / or friends might see or hear it.

Sure they'll know deep down that their lost loved one was a piece of sh1t but people react to death in weird ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

This! I've often seen people giving false respect about a dead person to look good only to turn around to someone else and say they were nothing but a c#*t. It would really suit people to just keep their mouths closed in the first place

My uncle, my grandfather and my father could all be complete and utter a$$holes when they put their minds to it, but we're not allowed remember that anymore. In fact I was told I needed counselling to deal with my father's death, because I sometimes tell stories in which he hasn't been canonised.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

schizo1014 wrote: »
    This! I've often seen people giving false respect about a dead person to look good only to turn around to someone else and say they were nothing but a c#*t. It would really suit people to just keep their mouths closed in the first place

Yeah sometimes it's better to say nothing at all. That's what I do if I didn't care for the deceased.

Sure, I'm not advocating going on about how amazing they are when they were an arsehole in life.

Maybe though, just maybe, it'd be tactful to not talk too loudly about how much of an arsehole they were where their grieving family and / or friends might see or hear it.

Sure they'll know deep down that their lost loved one was a piece of sh1t but people react to death in weird ways.

You can be respectful and still not fall over yourself lamenting what a great loss it all is.

My uncle, my grandfather and my father could all be complete and utter a$$holes when they put their minds to it, but we're not allowed remember that anymore. In fact I was told I needed counselling to deal with my father's death, because I sometimes tell stories in which he hasn't been canonised.

You don't need counselling. They may need to visit a memory clinic though ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

Not speaking ill of the dead doesn't mean you have to speak well of them

If you can't say anything nice just don't say anything at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

It's been said before but 'never was there a bastard put in the ground'

You can be respectful and still not fall over yourself lamenting what a great loss it all is.

Hence the first line of the post you quoted, I'm not advocating praising someone just because they're dead. I hate hearing people go on and on about how wonderful someone was when half the people at the funeral are there to make sure they're really dead.

But the thread title is "You shouldn't speak ill of the dead" and I agree with that. I'm a fan of just keeping your mouth shut if you're glad someone is gone. Don't praise them if they don't deserve it but, at least if their relatives or friends are likely to hear or read it, there's no need to rip into them either.

I'd agree with that, if you can't bring yourself to say something nice (even just for the sake of the family who miss them), the option is there to say nothing.

Just because they're dead doesn't mean you have to say nice, but false, things about them. Equally you don't have to pick that point in time to start talking about what bastards they were either.

It's called tact.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,767 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'll speak ill of whoever I want, the prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

If you can't say anything nice...yeah, keep your still alive and non-grieving gob shut and don't make it all about yourself by showing how (falsely) regretful you are that the dead person is gone.

Sure, there's some truly nasty people out there, but unless you're related to one of them that dies, why would you even get involved? If you detest the person to the extent where you can't think of a single nice thing to say about them, stay away. It's not just about respect (for the dead, for the dead's family, for the people who might actually, shock horror, be mourning), but also about dignity, including your own.

Samaris wrote: »
    It's not just about respect (for the dead, for the dead's family, for the people who might actually, shock horror, be mourning), but also about dignity, including your own.

100% agree with that statement.

Hence the first line of the post you quoted, I'm not advocating praising someone just because they're dead. I hate hearing people go on and on about how wonderful someone was when half the people at the funeral are there to make sure they're really dead.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭techdiver

Reminds me of this thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98783090

People defending a cnut with the usual excuse of respect etc.

• Advertisement

Jade Goody was a saint

Advertisement