Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No one really takes any heed of the opening Connacht fixture v NY.

But they well have to take heed of this one.

Roscommon 1-15 NY 0-17.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,645 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Roscommon 1-15 NY 0-17.

I take it ( from the time ) you're in ny . Was it a good game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Go on the Narrowbacks! That would have been some result if the Yanks had pulled it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

I hope Roscommon don't fall away meekly again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

The result might buck them up and get them in gear for the rest of the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Roscommon 1-15 NY 0-17.

Similar to the game against London every year.
    Bit of a holiday away until a team gets ran close or needs extra time to get the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭laoisman11

What would have happened if they had lost? As the losers (normally NY) don't go into the qualifiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

laoisman11 wrote: »
    What would have happened if they had lost? As the losers (normally NY) don't go into the qualifiers?

You'd hope some Plan B is in place but wouldn't surprise me if it just go out and hope NY lose.
    Heard the ref blew 30s early when all was still to play for. Is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

iDave wrote:
    You'd hope some Plan B is in place but wouldn't surprise me if it just go out and hope NY lose. Heard the ref blew 30s early when all was still to play for. Is that true?

No was watching on a Periscope stream (somebody streaming from their phone). 4 minutes added on and he played at least the 4. Blew up with Roscommon in posession.

New York had half a goal chance at the end but it went over the bar.

laoisman11 wrote: »

There's a provision in place in case someone loses to them.

When they nearly beat Galway in 2010 the provision didn't exist and it was noted how lucky the GAA got that they didn't win as it would have caused uproar seeing as Galway would have been gone without a second chance.

• Advertisement

iDave wrote: »
    You'd hope some Plan B is in place but wouldn't surprise me if it just go out and hope NY lose.
    Heard the ref blew 30s early when all was still to play for. Is that true?

Got a text from chum in the Bronx. They reckon they were robbed. Rossies walked into an ambush. It was clear all week from the talk in NY that they were going to give this one a right go, and were quite confident.

As for the Rossies, if they are lucky, this was their Sligo, and it will cop them on that you don't actually win games just by turning up.

According to my source, the ref did blow up early, just after Kilbride had scored the winner. Not happy at all, at all!

Bonniedog wrote: »

According to my source, the ref did blow up early, just after Kilbride had scored the winner. Not happy at all, at all!

New York got the last score of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,645 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Anyone know the ny team ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    New York got the last score of the game.

Never trust a Dub in the Bronx :)

Are you sure about that?

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Never trust a Dub in the Bronx :)

Are you sure about that?

Ros went 18-16 up and New York kicked the last point.It was a **** up by Ros keeper,poorly kicked it short and NY player (maybe Freeman) won it and popped it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Anyone got the link for the periscope broadcast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Anyone got the link for the periscope broadcast?

It's in the rossie thread.

Jayop wrote: »
    It's in the rossie thread.

Found it on twitter;

https://twitter.com/Drochfhocal/status/726877662262743041

mayo.mick wrote: »

You are bad fker mayo man :)

• Advertisement

Just wondering, would Kerry be better off this year maybe losing the Munster final and going into the last round of the qualifiers? Sure they'll likely meet someone like Tyrone, Donegal,Monaghan or the likes and they'd have to play an extra game but that could be worth the risk to avoid the Dubs in the semi-final. Sure the winner of the thing will either be Dublin or will have to beat them at some stage but if Kerry can avoid them to the final surely that would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭corny

Just wondering, would Kerry be better off this year maybe losing the Munster final and going into the last round of the qualifiers? Sure they'll likely meet someone like Tyrone, Donegal,Monaghan or the likes and they'd have to play an extra game but that could be worth the risk to avoid the Dubs in the semi-final. Sure the winner of the thing will either be Dublin or will have to beat them at some stage but if Kerry can avoid them to the final surely that would be better.

If it works out that way then maybe but there's no way they'd throw the Munster final just to avoid Dublin.

They wouldn't have All Ireland medals if they accepted being second best that easy. Its more likely they're eager to play Dublin in a semi.

corny wrote: »
    If it works out that way then maybe but there's no way they'd throw the Munster final just to avoid Dublin.

They wouldn't have All Ireland medals if they accepted being second best that easy. Its more likely they're eager to play Dublin in a semi.

Ah yeah, they'll not throw the Munster game that's for sure but they could be better off losing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

They might fancy their chances more of being able to beat Dublin in a semi-final when there's a chance they might be a wee bit undercooked than trying to beat them in final when they'll likely be more than ready.

No
    That would be stupid.

Munster final loser goes to the A side of the draw, which means that if they win their 4th round qualifier then then play the Connacht champions, which will likely be Mayo.

And if they win that they play Ulster champ or B side qualifier in the SF, which may be Donegal, Tyrone or Monaghan.

Why on earth would they want to play two of Donegal, Mayo, Tyrone or Monaghan just to avoid Dublin ?

No
    That would be stupid.

Munster final loser goes to the A side of the draw, which means that if they win their 4th round qualifier then then play the Connacht champions, which will likely be Mayo.

And if they win that they play Ulster champ or B side qualifier in the SF, which may be Donegal, Tyrone or Monaghan.

Why on earth would they want to play two of Donegal, Mayo, Tyrone or Monaghan just to avoid Dublin ?

Just to be clear I'm not suggesting that Kerry would or should throw a game to avoid Dublin, but if I was a Kerry man I'd feel more confident of winning two games against Mayo and an Ulster team than I would Dublin. The problem is that even at that they'll still likely face them in the final and as Pressrun says they might fancy their chances of catching them out in the semi.

Just to be clear I'm not suggesting that Kerry would or should throw a game to avoid Dublin, but if I was a Kerry man I'd feel more confident of winning two games against Mayo and an Ulster team than I would Dublin. The problem is that even at that they'll still likely face them in the final and as Pressrun says they might fancy their chances of catching them out in the semi.

No, no ,no.

Only twice since 2010 has a provincial winner lost to a qualifier at the QF, and both times it was Monaghan losing to Tyrone.

That is not by accident.

Good teams want to win their province to avoid the other good teams as long as they can and be in charge of their own schedule.

The last thing they want is to be at the mercy of the qualifier draw and being forced to play a province champ in the QF.

The days of teams on a meandering run through the qualifiers to get their setup right is long over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

To be honest I'd rather lose to Dublin in the Semi's then in the Final again.

Time to let the other teams get hammered by Dublin in the final for once.

Would be good for football no? ;)

DDC1990 wrote: »
    To be honest I'd rather lose to Dublin in the Semi's then in the Final again.

Time to let the other teams get hammered by Dublin in the final for once.

Would be good for football no? ;)

I'd be OK with having a rattle at them in the final. Would be great for Tyrone to get to a final even if we did get beat. Would be nice to get some revenge for the outrageous misjustice of 1995. (not that I'm bitter) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

No thanks, God only knows how that would work out at least you have some relative certainty if you win Munster. The team that beats Dublin will likely win Sam so it doesn't really matter to Kerry when they play them. Kerry with a full fit team could catch the dubs in a semi final btw, they'd need to play to their potential and probably get a bit of luck but it's doable. Hopefully they will have learned from the league final.

Advertisement