Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City, Country or Suburbs?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

I live in a suburb of Chiang Mai .( 10 km out from the City center ) .Born and raised in Dublin City Center .Once lived for 3 years in a bungalow with half acre just 4 km outside Wexford town .Loved it in Summer at least .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

City and country are both great for their own reasons, though being a musician, I do love being able to make an unholy racket at all hours out the country (sometimes you have to just record an idea in the moment or it's gone).

The suburbs can go fucck themselves entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I live just outside a small village so effectively in the country. It's a beautiful scenic peaceful area. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else except maybe bear a beach when I retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Shtix and proud! I was just thinking this morning driving to Galway God I'd hate to live in an outer area down a By-road in Claregalway, it'd be majorly difficult to get out onto main road to go to work in the mornings! Would like to live in Dublin for a year to get the Capital experience. And I would really love to live on the Aran Islands for a year, hopefully I will sometime. Although lack of Internet Coverage out there might make that decision for me. We shall see I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Suburbs for me.

Could never live in the country.

I like living within easy enough commuting distance to the city centre for socializing and work but living somewhere quieter, albeit with supermarkets, pubs and shops close by, which I currently do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I see a lot of people in towns mentioning how they would hate the commute from countryside to work, but my 25 minutes commute to work in a small town is through beautiful scenery, with the only traffic hold back the occasional tractors or elderly country gents or ladies. I had to live in Cork for a year and commute more than ten years ago from Model Farm road to Ballincollig used to take 45 minutes of traffic heavy agony. I find town driving so much more soul destroying. And buses and trams are so depressing, what with exposure to a mixed bag of population and levels of stress I am so glad I don't have to experience anymore. It really used to get to me back in Lyon, having to dodge drunks, junkies, dirty people, rude people every morning, and again every evening. Like others I had to create my own little bubble by reading a book or listening to music, but the sadness permeated most days.
    I guess the country option maybe suits people who are more independent than social, I would rather solitude than exposure to all sorts myself, at this point.

I think too that obviously, there is an age element to preferences. Maybe when I'm older, possibly more lonely and less healthy, I will start lusting for town life again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭josip

Grew up outdoors in the countryside: no TV, no phone, no central heating for the first 10 years of my life.
    On a November night the rats trying to get the berries overhead in the sceachs would be silhouetted by the Milky Way. Ah bliss.
    Now live in the burbs by the sea 30 mins rail from the city centre.
    Sometimes I hark for the real countryside and I'll go down to the beach by myself for a walk without a torch to see the night sky again.
    Scares the beejaysus out of the beach anglers with their slabs of Dutch Gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Grew up in the suburbs, then lived in Dublin city for a few years. Now living somewhere in between (Dublin 8). Could never live in the countryside: I hate commuting, and the field I'm in tends towards centralisation. The idea of spending two hours a day driving to and from work appals me; it feels like paying to do overtime.

Im the same, anything more than a hour of traveling a day and I'll feel like Im wasting time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

smash wrote: »
    The fantasy of the peaceful country life is great but the reality would suck. I think boredom would kick in pretty fast.

We don't have time to be bored as we have to mow our acre and a half lawns every week, turf and hay/silage in the summers and read about gangland murders in some dystopia called Dublin in the evenings.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Fair enough that suits you and your current lifestyle but there are marked differences between what you can avail of in the city and what you can do in the countryside....
    For instance the other weekend myself and the missus got a 25 minute tube into the natural history museum (one of the best in the world), strolled down the road to another museum, went to a nice coffeeshop, browsed in a bookshop jumped on the Tube and then went for a feed in a Turkish restaurant before walking home via the pub to meet friends. The next day I got up and took a short bus ride to my boxing club...

25 minutes? That's an awful distance.

I may live between the mountains and the sea in rural South Kerry, but have coffee shops, book shops and pubs a lot closer than 25 minutes.

Must be awful living so far from such basic amenities. The Natural History Museum is great, mind you. Have been 3 times...but never really thought of it as missing from my life the rest of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I live in the centre of one of the nicest cities in the world close to restaurants, sports venues, concert venues, bars, restaurants, coffee shops, etc.
    In less than an hour I'm in the middle of the most spectacular scenery I've ever seen. I grew up in a small town but I think the life I live now suits me best.

Advertisement