Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City, Country or Suburbs?

Options
  • 18-04-2016 10:29pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Do you live in the city centre, suburbs or out in the country? Are you happy living there?

Where would you prefer to live if you had the choice?

I myself live in the inner suburbs in a nice quiet area beside the Phoenix Park but only 10 mins from Dublin city centre. Later in my life I might move to the country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondeMoment

Country. No traffic, traffic lights, skobes. Its good!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Limerick city suburb, maybe 30 mins walk from city centre.

Would prefer to move about 10 minutes drive out into the countryside in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Suburbs in South County Dublin.
    25 min cycle from work in city centre.

Very happy here and made the choice to buy here a few months ago.

Would Consider moving back down the country when I retire in 30 years or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Live in Dublin during the week but love the fresh air of the west coast at weekends, especially when the weather is good and the days long. Best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

I would love to live somewhere with the climate of the Canaries with a sea view and metropolitan vibe. Problem is there are not many places in the Canaries I would want to live except possibly Las Palmas in Gran Canaria. Great city but I think the crime rate is not so good. Also Malaga city but weather in south of Spain in winter isn't always so warm despite what people think and that would be one of the main reasons for moving. I've already taken Spanish classes with this whole purpose in mind and got up to a reasonable standard very quickly so it might become a reality in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Shint0 wrote: »
    I would love to live somewhere with the climate of the Canaries with a sea view and metropolitan vibe. Problem is there are not many places in the Canaries I would want to live except possibly Las Palmas in Gran Canaria. Great city but I think the crime rate is not so good. Also Malaga city but weather in south of Spain in winter isn't always so warm despite what people think and that would be one of the main reasons for moving. I've already taken Spanish classes with this whole purpose in mind and got up to a reasonable standard very quickly so it might become a reality in the near future.

You could try living in one of the greenhouses in the Botanic Gardens and talking with the Spanish students when they visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Disturbia bom bom de dom dom, bom bom de dom de dom dom

Now for ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

You could try living in one of the greenhouses in the Botanic Gardens and talking with the Spanish students when they visit.

That could be an option except I'm sure they'd want me to earn my keep and I'm a terrible gardener. Any plant I ever had died so I don't want to be responsible for the destruction of a national treasure.
    Do the Spanish students actually venture out that far from McDonald's on Grafton Street?

Grew up and lived in the country until my mid 20's, living in a city for the last few years and would plan to move back to the country again to settle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Terenure, roughly 25 minutes walk to the city centre. I have Aldi, LIdl and Supervalu within a 5 minute walk and Tesco a 1 minute walk. Bus stop is 30 seconds away and work is a 7 minute walk.
    Wouldnt change it for the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Grew up very near the south city centre in Dublin, now living slightly further out but still south city centre and it's grand.

Would love, if possible, to relocate to beside the sea - and I mean literally beside the sea, which means I'll probably never be able to afford it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm a city boy. Couldn't live in the country, no siree Jim.

Terenure, roughly 25 minutes walk to the city centre. I have Aldi, LIdl and Supervalu within a 5 minute walk and Tesco a 1 minute walk.

All of life's wonders so close to you.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Smack bang in the arse hole of nowhere, love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I'm back on the mean streets of my hometown on the coast...gritty,rotten to the core!

It's the best of both worlds,a short trip into the city and its scenic with a bit of a country vibe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Smallish country town outside a major city is perfect life I think , Naas maynooth those kind of places..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I live right beside a great big bloody beach, a surfclub, and a caravan park.

Nearest big town (yabby creek) is about twenty minutes away by ute.

Love it ere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Countryside, very scenic location with special designation by the local council due to the scenery.
    12 minutes drive from Kilkenny City.
    Love where I live, but wouldn't mind having a home somewhere warm for the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I was born and grew up in Lyon, until my 20s. I loved living in a large town, loved the noise, anonymity, variety, practicality. Never thought that I would make such a complete turn around : I live in the Irish countryside, nearest town 25 minutes drive (20 years on). I love it, and I can't stand the noise and busyness of big towns for very long anymore. I do like visiting for work or shopping in our local provincial towns.

When I let the dog out in the morning I step out into an enveloping dawn chorus, in the scenery that's in my icon pic. That's the view from my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Rhea Rose

100% the city. I spent 17 years growing up in the back arse of nowhere in the country, and that was long enough! l love city life. I wouldn't be content anywhere in Ireland apart from Dublin for the same reason; the likes of Cork and Galway just don't have the same 'city feel' for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Country man. Always have been, always will be. I like being close to nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Live in the city and prefer it, far more to do within walking distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Suburbs of a large-ish town. Just right for me. Ten minute walk to shops.

Couldn't live in the country. I like noise.

If I had money though, I'd love to live somewhere with a sea view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Amidst fields and meadows :)

Far from the madding crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Later in my life I might move to the country.

Late, I might move to the cemetery.
    Disturbia bom bom de dom dom, bom bom de dom de dom dom

Now for ya...

How dafug do you type that username, hanging upside down from a tree? Latin not so good...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I live across the road from Bondi beach. Absolutely love it. Would gladly move elsewhere but want to be beside the sea forever and preferably within an hours commute to a major city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Country house.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Easca Peasca

I'm a city slicker for college during the week and country roads take me home for the weekends.

For me there's more to be said for living out the country. Whatever you don't have immediately nearby, you're usually within a 20 minute drive anyway. The space and rural way of life is hard to beat.

All depends on what you're reared on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ruu wrote: »
    Country house.

You lived in a house?

We lived in a hole in the road. We ate a handful of gravel. Cardboard boxes?

Monty? Monto? A shithole is stillborn.

Be grand, they said. No worries, they implied.
    They lied. We cried. People died.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement