Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evidence of true evil

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

I hope the Animal Rights people are currently on their way to protest the morgue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Moors murderers were evil. Whatever defence is put up for her, theres none for him. I enjoyed watching his appeals to be allowed die get rejected, oh how I did

also a case in Spain, couple adopted a child, later got divorsed, the grandfather left everything to the child in his will, so the parents conspired to poison the child and claim the inheritence. poor little mite even told a teacher her parents were poisoning her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The Toolbox Killers and The Toybox Killer would be up there in the league of true evil, their intentions to inflict as much horrifying pain as physically possible on innocent people and record themselves doing it puts them in an almost different dimension to others. They got joy out of physically and mentally breaking people.

The Toolbox Killers especially, people who were involved in that case weren't right for a long time with the chief investigator committing suicide over it. The transcript of the audio recording of what they did to their last victim is the stuff of nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What do you mean by true evil ? If you're not talking in a religious sense it means nothing.

Society existed before humans has speech and had speech before writing, so writing is only naming something already in culture, in other words religious belief did not invent evil. Religion named and framed it in a particular way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

endacl wrote: »
    No such think as evil. 'Evil' abdicates a responsibility to explain.

I disagree. I've met people who I would consider to be evil. i don't think labelling them as such abdicates responsibility, it merely indicates their potential level of depravity and lack of conscience.

• Advertisement

esforum wrote: »
    Moors murderers were evil. Whatever defence is put up for her, theres none for him. I enjoyed watching his appeals to be allowed die get rejected, oh how I did

also a case in Spain, couple adopted a child, later got divorsed, the grandfather left everything to the child in his will, so the parents conspired to poison the child and claim the inheritence. poor little mite even told a teacher her parents were poisoning her.

The Moors Murders were fairly shocking.

The Spanish one was Asunta Basterra.

======================================

I should warn people that the following links make for pretty disturbing reading
    =======================================

One that was gruesome was the murder of Suzanne Capper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Suzanne_Capper

It is incredible to think people can become so desensitised, so inhumane, as to participate or stand by.

Or the murder of Kelly Ann Bates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kelly_Anne_Bates

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Shankill Butchers probably the closest to home. Sectarian yeah but I think that was convenient cover for what they did.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

Satan isn't such a bad guy, real good at wupping up some southern hospitality and also a long-time member of the GOP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

mariaalice wrote: »
    Society existed before humans has speech and had speech before writing, so writing is only naming something already in culture, in other words religious belief did not invent evil. Religion named and framed it in a particular way.

You're missing my point. I'm saying evil does not exist, true or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You're missing my point. I'm saying evil does not exist, true or otherwise.

Your user name is interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

A system which allows the murdering of innocent civilians with such callous abandon as this, and which is legitimized enough to have everyday people turn a blind eye to and defend it, is likely one of present times greatest 'evils' - if that word carries any meaning:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/i-am-on-the-us-kill-list-this-is-what-it-feels-like-to-be-hunted-by-drones-a6980141.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

A system which allows the murdering of innocent civilians with such callous abandon as this, and which is legitimized enough to have everyday people turn a blind eye to and defend it, is likely one of present times greatest 'evils' - if that word carries any meaning:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/i-am-on-the-us-kill-list-this-is-what-it-feels-like-to-be-hunted-by-drones-a6980141.html

That article leaves a little out. The fourth strike that targeted the elders appears to be after they announced a jihad against the US and Pakistan and admitted they allowed their youths to commit suicide bombings.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/134864/north-waziristan-tribes-declare-war-against-us/
    Malik Jalal Sarhadi Qatkhel, head of the North Waziristan Peace Committee, told reporters at the Peshawar Press Club that the tribes would wage a jihad against the US as well as Pakistanis who are helping them carry out the Predator drone strikes. He said that they had allowed their youths to carry out suicide attacks against the Americans.

Although I do agree that any policy that ignores collateral damage cannot be justified except in the most extreme of circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

That article leaves a little out. The fourth strike that targeted the elders appears to be after they announced a jihad against the US and Pakistan and admitted they allowed their youths to commit suicide bombings.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/134864/north-waziristan-tribes-declare-war-against-us/

Although I do agree that any policy that ignores collateral damage cannot be justified except in the most extreme of circumstances.
    Except that was after their communities had been bombed and their friends/relatives murdered numerous times (when they had done nothing wrong, this is before their statements) - why is it legitimate for the US to just terrorise and murder them from the skies, and not legitimate for them to fight back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

esforum wrote: »

My sister worked with a woman who had previously been a prison officer in Holloway. She said that there was only one prisoner she had worked with who she would describe as evil - Hindley. She never agreed that Brady had been the one in control, always maintained that Hindley was calculating and deliberate in every move she made.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Some people are just born bad to the bone, they've always existed and always will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

endacl wrote: »
    No such think as evil. 'Evil' abdicates a responsibility to explain.

No such thing as good. 'Good' abdicates a responsibility to explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

It goes to show that religion and morality are completely separate things. You can be very religious, pious, pray 5 times a day, do all the fasting and yet mass murder in the name of your religion. There is no attempt to rationalise when religion dominates your thinking. If your God said it was the right thing to do and you believe strongly enough, you are going to do it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Good vs Evil is something the Zoastorians have been believing for the last three thousand years.

But in most cases it just boils down to

I've had my fun, and that's all that matters.
    - Father Fintan Stack

Advertisement