Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evidence of true evil

Options
  • 18-04-2016 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭

I was listing to an interview with Robert Frisk on RTE radio, he was talking about the origins of isis : Anyway he talks about coming acreoss beheaded bodies in a morgue and then coming across a beheaded body with a dogs head sewn on to it is that evidence of true evil or maybe mental illness or evidence of nothing except savagery.

Not talking about a man with horns or evil in a religious sense and I don't mean any disrespect to any one with mental health issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No such think as evil. 'Evil' abdicates a responsibility to explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I was pretty sure this was going to be a thread about Louis Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I was pretty sure this was going to be a thread about Louis Walsh.

I thought it was going to be a thread about Irish Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

endacl wrote: »

The problem with that is that society or who ever always wants to frame the answer in some value based way i.e its the fault of colonial societies in the west ect.

Why cant an individual act be examined in its entirety with out context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Speedwell wrote: »
    I thought it was going to be a thread about Irish Water.

That's True Incompetency you're thinking of!

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    The problem with that is that society or who ever always wants to frame the answer in some value based way i.e its the fault of colonial societies in the west ect.

Because the "entirety" includes context.

Speedwell wrote: »
    Because the "entirety" includes context.

In a wider context yes, but beheading someone and sewing a dogs head on to a body should be examined as an act in and off its self first.

In a wider seance yes, but beading someone and sowing a dogs head on to a body should be examined as an act in and off its self first.

The act does not exist in isolation. That's just not how it works. If you were to go to court for that act, they would be required to evaluate it in context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

In a wider context yes, but beading someone and sewing a dogs head on to a body should be examined as an act in and off its self first.
    If someone is willing to behead another person then an act such as sowing a dogs head on to a body doesn't really surprise me. Both acts are psychotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not at all. The colonial context provides a convenient framework. But asks the wrong question.

The individual act is what I was referring to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

endacl wrote: »

While I'd agree to an extent the likes of Ted Bundy, Fred West, Shipman... Some of the stuff in the news is very difficult to explain, murdering children eg. While often there are mental health and up bringing issues, sometimes there just is evil.

ISIS and beheadings, probably. Sending 9 year old kids out as suicide bombs, definitely.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

You're not examining it in its entirety without looking at context. What does "pure evil" mean to you anyway?

K-9 wrote: »
    While I'd agree to an extent the likes of Ted Bundy, Fred West, Shipman... Some of the stuff in the news is very difficult to explain, murdering children eg. While often there are mental health and up bringing issues, sometimes there just is evil.

ISIS and beheadings, probably. Sending 9 year old kids out as suicide bombs, definitely.

I don't think it's comparable. You're listing people who killed for some form of pleasure whereas ISIS are killing for a cause they've made up in their own heads. They're for the most part uneducated, naive and brainwashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I was listing to an interview with Robert Frisk on RTE radio, he was talking about the origins of isis : Anyway he talks about coming acreoss beheaded bodies in a morgue and then coming across a beheaded body with a dogs head sewn on to it is that evidence of true evil or maybe mental illness or evidence of nothing except savagery.

Not talking about a man with horns or evil in a religious sense and I don't mean any disrespect to any one with mental health issues.

Sounds like something that actually happened in Game of Thrones.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I would be very slow use mental illness as an excuse for the barbaric things Isis do.

For one thing it's unfair to those are genuinely mentally ill to lumped in with mad men who behead and blow people up because of some fanatical rubbish they've dreamed up.

Secondly it does seem to imply some of sort diminished responsibility for their crimes, in much the same way as pointing fingers at the poverty in these countries or the interference of Western powers does.

Isis, Isis, alone are responsible for their crimes, scapegoating and shifting responsibility for their horrific acts is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

smash wrote: »
    I don't think it's comparable. You're listing people who killed for some form of pleasure whereas ISIS are killing for a cause they've made up in their own heads. They're for the most part uneducated, naive and brainwashed.

Yeah, I suppose sending out 9 year olds as suicide bombers is incomprehensible though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

For one thing it's unfair to those are genuinely mentally ill to lumped in with mad men who behead and blow people up because of some fanatical rubbish they've dreamed up.
    Not really. Mental illness covers a broad range of things. They're not all related but they're covered under the umbrella definition.

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah, I suppose sending out 9 year olds as suicide bombers is incomprehensible though.

Of course it is. These guys don't discriminate, and that's the issue.

RGDATA! wrote: »
    You're not examining it in its entirety without looking at context. What does "pure evil" mean to you anyway?

I don't know. I but I did see an interesting documentary about Fred West not normally something I would watch.

The psychologist explained it like this: Fred West grew up in a situation where incest and bestiality were normalised and then he met his future wife who has a very distinct sexual and emotional disposition and it was the combination of both their personalities that lead to the behaviour. In other words if they had never met they might not have become killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Beheading in some quarters is not seen as a particularly barbaric act,nor is skinning and hanging a still living dog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Steppenwolfe

What do you mean by true evil ? If you're not talking in a religious sense it means nothing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

If anyone's interested, a good read on the subject is Steven Pinker's "Better Angles of our Nature", where he's exploring violence in human history.

Two of his arguments stand out in particular:

1) If you build your life and identity on an unproveable idea, an idea that's insubstantial in nature, one you can't draw up any facts for, you will have a tendency to react more violently if you find that others reject that idea. Simply because that's the only way of action you have - you cannot argue for something you can't make others "see".
    It's an effect that's been seen in any culture that was built on religion anywhere.

2) If you assume, based on your religion, that this life is nothing but a test and that death is a sort of rite of passage, life won't matter. Souls will.
    You will be much more ready to inflict pain and suffering in life, if you assume it all to be nothing but an illusion of sorts. You might even convince yourself that you are doing good by saving souls - both by killing unbelievers before they can sin more, and by deterring people who share your faith from renouncing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,237 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

As Morrissey once sang... "is evil something you are, or something you do?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

The worst 'evils' are committed by those who are able to distance themselves from, and even politically legitimize, murderous acts - thus drawing-in entire countries/societies into the cumulatively 'evil' acts.

The many-orders-of-magnitude difference between the two, make them wholly incomparable - legitimized evils are vastly worse, and far more damaging to the entire world, than the actions of a single psychopath (no matter how deranged).

When we fail to recognize this ourselves and fail to act politically to stop it - failing our civic responsibilities - we're in on it too and share responsibility as well really.
    Everyday normal people are perfectly capable of accepting/assenting-to all sorts of 'evils' - though that term is such a non-descriptive/emotive one, that it's not very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Everyday normal people are perfectly capable of accepting/assenting-to all sorts of 'evils'

Browning and 101 would seem to support that :(

Of course, there'll be those in denial. Young Googleistas with dull axes :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Religious tomes are evil.... When will we got passed opinions from 2 thousand years ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Bible; 2000 years ago.

Koran; Not 1500 old.

Mein Kampf; Less than a century.

Some people just can't put a good book down ;)

The psychologist explained it like this: Fred West grew up in a situation where incest and bestiality were normalised and then he met his future wife who has a very distinct sexual and emotional disposition and it was the combination of both their personalities that lead to the behaviour. In other words if they had never met they might not have become killers.

But...he had killed before he met her...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

There were a few cases in the media very recently of what I would consider true evilness and related to adults (mainly parents)inflicting terrible pain and suffering on children.These werent a quick slap/beating in temper but long term unimaginable pain and torture. That to me is true evilness and I would have no problem seeing an eye for an eye kind of punishment being given to those responsible as they are the lowest form of life imo.

Advertisement