Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you Dye your hair when you get older?

Options
  • 18-04-2016 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭

If you havent gone grey already, if you got to age of 40/50/60 and your hair started going grey or turning white would you start dying it or would you just let it go grey and embrace it?

similarly if you were getting older and started to go bald on top would you ever consider getting a wig? or would you shave off what you got left and go totally bald?

What do you think about people (especially men) who dye their hair as they get older or wear a wig for vanity reasons? - do you think it makes them look un-natural, or do you think if they have a young looking face and the grey hair is making them look older than they are , do you think its OK then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'm not too bothered whether I go grey and / or bald tbh. Right now either don't look likely to happen any time soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I went completely grey over night when i smashed my leg and ankle when 20 years old. Never occurred to dye my hair. er why would I?
    honestly not been sarcastic, but why would i dye my hair for something like that, never mind older?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

What would you do OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Putin wrote: »
    What would you do OP?

I dunno, i'm 50 - got a few grey hairs but not bad , I think I would (if i could get a natural shade and if it wasnt expensive, I dont think grey hair would suit me, but my wife says that you can really tell when a man dyes his hair and a lot of the time they look ridiculous, especially if their face has a lot of wrinkles and its dyed very stark like jet black.

Just was looking at a clip on the RTE Today show of Aonghus McAnally and it dont look right, thats what prompted me to post this question. But then again someone like Marty Wheelan I think would look better/younger looking with dark black hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Andy ; I've reached that age and honestly couldn't tell ye if / how grey my hair is. That's how much I care.

I wear a hat, to keep my head warm or shade my eyes from the sun. I have no mirrors, so don't see myself. But, I have enough sense to know no woman's going to fancy me anyway.

So, I relax and get on with life. And it's grand.

Relax about such nonsense. Make yeself old before ye time! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm in the process of trying to dye my dark brown hair grey at present.

Am I doing this wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

If you have a short back and sides it would be a massive pain in the backside. You'd be dyeing it all the time as the roots would show up in very little time. And what about the brows or the beard?

Also, don't bother with a permanent shoe polish head look, it looks preposterous - you won't be fooling anyone. Better off with a natural shade and one that is semi permanent, I'd say.

I don't see why an aul lad would bother though. Perhaps different for a bloke in his 20s or 30s who'd rather not look older than his years.

I'm in the process of trying to dye my dark brown hair grey at present.

Am I doing this wrong

what are you usiing to dye it? lol :D

Stripping it, turning it green, trying to get it blonde to put a blue/grey/lilac toner.
    Granny hair 4 srs

I think grey hair on an older man can either make him look distinguished and handsome or really old looking, depending on ... well I dont know really, I dunno how some people can pull off the grey hair look whilst others cant. Maybe its the kind of face they got?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I think grey hair on an older man can either make him look distinguished and handsome or really old looking, depending on ... well I dont know really, I dunno how some people can pull off the grey hair look whilst others cant. Maybe its the kind of face they got?
    The type of hair plays a part too, and the style. If it's thin and receding forget it. If it's thick and the hairline is decent then in you're in with a chance.

I think it can look really good on both men and women. I love that steel grey hair look on women, when it has a good cut and a nice shape.
    That guard guy from love hate is a ride, and his hair sets him apart from everyone else. Love grey hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I have longish hair and am going grey. Not gonna dye one hair! It's my hair and if anyone thinks it looks bad, feck em!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Nah wouldn't bother, I don't really care too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

I'm grey and wouldn't dye it because like a lot of you I think it looks silly, a lot of guys shave their heads when they go grey too and I wouldn't fancy that either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I'm thirty and have dark brown hair that I've been dying various shades of red/brown since my late teens. I've a few greys in there now but I'd be dying it anyways even if they weren't there ... change is good! :)

Dying hair by women is different to fifty upwards guys doing it. It can look strange with elderly women too especially if their hair is thinning

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

No. I'm going grey and I'm told the salt and pepper look suits me.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    No. I'm going grey and I'm told the salt and pepper look suits me.

It does suit a lot of people, growing old gracefully has a lot going for it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Paulownia wrote: »
    I'm grey and wouldn't dye it because like a lot of you I think it looks silly, a lot of guys shave their heads when they go grey too and I wouldn't fancy that either
    Never met a guy who shaved his head because he went grey... Have you, really?

Stay away from cloaks and mirrors. Copyright Bertie. He didn't actually say that (at least not in front of reporters) but he could have... Smoke and daggers, yeah.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

Skatedude wrote: »
    I went completely grey over night when i smashed my leg and ankle when 20 years old. Never occurred to dye my hair. er why would I?
    honestly not been sarcastic, but why would i dye my hair for something like that, never mind older?

Were you able to go to school? Did it turn from black into bright white?

Esel wrote: »
    Never met a g

???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I'm not too bothered whether I go grey and / or bald tbh. Right now either don't look likely to happen any time soon :)

+ 1

To people who do dye their hair or wear a wig, I dedicate this song to you....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I dunno, i'm 50 - got a few grey hairs but not bad

Tell'em it's designer grey and it cost a fortune to have it done

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Paulownia wrote: »
    ???

Hit the wrong button - see above.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 19,006 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Anyone else's first thought Killer Bob from twin peaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I started to develop a thinning patch in my mid 30's on top, then the front receeded in my mid 40's and by 50 it was getting sparse on top and grey around the sides. So I took a razor to it and now shave it weekly to keep it off.
    I detest the old monk look so would never have the bald crown with hair on the sides...Doesn't bother me now at all... ;)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm starting to see some creep in but not too many yet. I think I'll probably go pure white like the older women in my family and when I do I want to go these colours.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its not grey, its silver highlights :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The greying proceeds apace. At the point of total white-out I shall be turning what's left of it into a mohawk à la Wez in Mad Max 2.

Advertisement