Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did you find out you don't have time to play video games anymore ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Can people stop talking about "drivers" like they're some sort of mystic secret of Fatima? They stopped being something you have to worry about 10+ years ago once every manufacturer put their software catalog online. They became even more foolproof when Windows 7 came along and simply knew where to get drivers from all by itself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Important too I think in terms of hobbies to mix more sedentary hobbies with more active ones.

aye. the biggest limiters on my time are:2 kids under 6, and training for an Ironman in August. with those taken care of if i can get an hour or two on the xbox at night i'll gladly take it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'm trying to squeeze as much gaming as I can before my first kid is born in a few months. Cant see me having much time after.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Once you get past the nappy stage and into regular sleep patterns again, you'll be able to dust off the console again. I gave up gaming for about 6-7 years while the kids were young but picked up a PS3 3-4 years ago and have been having a great time ever since catching up on what I missed out on from that generation. When I eventually end up picking up a current gen console (I think I'll hold off and see what the PS4.5 ends up being) I'll have a fair bit to catch up on there.

Thanks for that. Nice to know there's light at the end of the tunnel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I am back ;).

But my time I just use on other things now that I used to use on video games.

I work 50 hour weeks and don't get in must evenings to 8 at night so before I cook I have to catch up on things that needed to be done such as ironing, cleaning, meeting up with the girlfirend and before I knew it its 11pm at night and bed time so I just trow something on netflix and fall asleep I am up at 8am for a run for 40 mins and then get ready to head to work and repeat this for 5 days.

Weekend then comes and it's when I do my shopping, go places and so on.

As you can see no time at all any more in my life for video games. I could cut out being fit but need to stay skinny ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Shiminay wrote: »
    Can people stop talking about "drivers" like they're some sort of mystic secret of Fatima? They stopped being something you have to worry about 10+ years ago once every manufacturer put their software catalog online. They became even more foolproof when Windows 7 came along and simply knew where to get drivers from all by itself.

It always cracks me up a bit, the "drivers!" argument. Normally, people who bring it forward as an obstacle to PC gaming, actually have never tried themselves.

The one thing that has logical foundation is the fact that usually, if you buy a Playstation or Xbox game, it will work find on the console; With PCs, most people have no idea about requirements and such; Ask any of the people working in Gamestop how many times somebody comes back with a game that "doesn't work" and when they ask "what graphics card do you have?" they stare at them blankly and go "graphics what? I don't know, it's a new DELL laptop, I bought it 5 years ago!" :D
    I am back ;).

I work 50 hour weeks and don't get in must evenings to 8 at night so before I cook I have to catch up on things that needed to be done such as ironing, cleaning, meeting up with the girlfirend and before I knew it its 11pm at night and bed time so I just trow something on netflix and fall asleep I am up at 8am for a run for 40 mins and then get ready to head to work and repeat this for 5 days.

As you can see no time at all any more in my life for video games. I could cut out being fit but need to stay skinny ha ha.

Bolded out are the two issues eating up your time :D:D:D

Jokes aside, I would really reconsider the "50 hours work weeks" - and not just for the videogames' sake; unless you're building your own business or getting paid a lot of overtime money (and you absolutely need it), it's not healthy. It's time you're gifting away to somebody (company, boss, whomever) who, eventually, will show how they don't appreciate it at all. We all were young, eager workers at some point and made similar mistakes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

penev10 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're just not bothered with gaming any longer. Maybe your priorities have shifted.

I never lost the gra for games. I only get in about 4 hours a week now bit still plug away.

Same here. Maybe two hours late night Fri & Sat. That's it. No matter how many bargain games I shell out for. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

I am back ;).

As said above,if you were still into Gaming,you would make time for it,so id say you just arent bothered about it anymore...

50hr weeks are a waste of your time btw... you will look bakc and regret it,unless you are able to retire very early..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

bigphil2 wrote: »
    50hr weeks are a waste of your time btw... you will look bakc and regret it,unless you are able to retire very early..

Not aimed at you, but at the comment and others like it. 50 hour weeks may not be a choice for someone. I work 60+ hour weeks. I work 6 days on and have 4 rest days together. But i'm usually working 2 or more of those rest days too, because that's just my job, i have no choice. I want to work normal hours with proper breaks, but i can't. I work shift, have a 10-week pattern that i've been working for the last 4/5 years and I still can't tell you what i'm working Wednesday week. I need an app to keep up with it. And i can't just leave, it's a very specific area of work, and i don't really have qualifications to leave and get a similar paid job. Plus, i have a mortgage and loans, etc.

Luckily, i don't have immediate family (no kids or GF), so my spare time is my spare time. I can't afford holidays, and have no interest in physical activities. I went through a few years of being single and just work and gaming. It affected me physically, so while i game less now as i go to the gym, i'm still an avid gamer. I get lulls, but that's usually when there isn't a new game out that interests me. Plus, thanks to Marvel and other studios, i'm watching a lot more tv lately (currently following 26 programs throughout the year).

So it is about time management more than anything. But i can see why having kids would put a stop to a lot or all of your spare time! One of the reasons i don't want them (not just for gaming, but in general).

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Not aimed at you, but at the comment and others like it. 50 hour weeks may not be a choice for someone. I work 60+ hour weeks. I work 6 days on and have 4 rest days together. But i'm usually working 2 or more of those rest days too, because that's just my job, i have no choice. I want to work normal hours with proper breaks, but i can't. I work shift, have a 10-week pattern that i've been working for the last 4/5 years and I still can't tell you what i'm working Wednesday week. I need an app to keep up with it. And i can't just leave, it's a very specific area of work, and i don't really have qualifications to leave and get a similar paid job. Plus, i have a mortgage and loans, etc.

Luckily, i don't have immediate family (no kids or GF), so my spare time is my spare time. I can't afford holidays, and have no interest in physical activities. I went through a few years of being single and just work and gaming. It affected me physically, so while i game less now as i go to the gym, i'm still an avid gamer. I get lulls, but that's usually when there isn't a new game out that interests me. Plus, thanks to Marvel and other studios, i'm watching a lot more tv lately (currently following 26 programs throughout the year).

So it is about time management more than anything. But i can see why having kids would put a stop to a lot or all of your spare time! One of the reasons i don't want them (not just for gaming, but in general).

Oh I totally understand that people have to do those hours and have commitments etc,i just know i personally couldn't do that,no job is worth it to me.. My dad worked every hour and ended up with **** all thanks for it so i guess I prioritize my spare time.. I am lucky i have a job that pays quite well and doesn't get in the way so to speak..

Only problem is the GF ****ing hates Video Games so i get an awful amount of stick but the way i see it ,i dont give out about her hobbies so i just laugh when shes giving out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Have to agree, a kid will reduce the majority of your gaming to an hour late at night.

I manage to get an hour or 2 a week to play some games, but having an 18 month old is a game in itself, called "what did you just put in your mouth"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I played a lot of games when I was younger. Still really like games. I usually fall in to one and play that for a few months. GTA 5 being the last one and Uncharted 4 being the next. With 2 young boys, I have little "me time" any more. I usually end up playing games on my phone when I'm on the crapper to get my video game fix.

Gone are the days of sitting in front of the PC playing Quake, Counterstrike etc. in to the small hours of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Ah but once the kids get a bit older, you have co-op! My 4yr old and 5yr old (with help from yours truly) spent a happy few months working our way slowly through the Lego Marvel super heroes game. It's not exactly challenging but it's fun seeing them get so excited when they achieve something.

Regarding the topic in hand, I have had phases where I begin to lose interest in gaming but I'm back in full swing again now. And I try to keep it fresh by using different platforms, I could start on my Vita in the morning, PC in the evening and then PS4 when everyone is in bed.

Keeping multiple games on the trot can be a bit tricky if you're playing story based ones but at least I'm keeping it simple with Rocket League and Battlefront on the PS4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Edwardririth

I play PC games each day after work. Even i'm busy on work i still try to play with my friends in game. Game is part of my life now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I don't think I've lost my love of games. They've just had to step back a good bit as I'm so busy with college right now. Final year takes up a lot of time and I'm in the middle of studying.

By the time I'm done with assignments/college/study, I'm nearly always too tired to play a game. Very odd I know and I know it takes very little effort so I just spend my time watching a game of football or something instead. then it's off to bed.

That being said, I'm counting down the days until May 16th rolls around when I can play Uncharted 4 guilt free when I know I won't be busy (bar the hour or two each day spent throwing out CV's to all and sundry)

Different interests seem to come and go with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

When my wife told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pepijn89

So people on boards when did your love of video games go ?

I always loved RTSs and RPGs growing up, I think because of the fact you got to start something small and build it up. I had to plan ahead, make decisions, figure out how to solve problems using my brain. I could easily be playing a game for 10 hours a day, four days in a row. Now that I've got a challenging job I'm basically still doing the same thing except I'm getting paid for it! (At least that's how it feels to me sometimes.)

Obviously there's a much greater element of fun in (most) games than I get from my job, but in order to get that fun part I now rather watch a movie or play guitar instead of fire up a game. I still play the odd random map in Age of Empires or some lighthearted multiplayer like Magicka but nothing time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭da gamer

I found out I don't have time to play video games anymore when I started going to howlongtobeat.com and seeing what games I have that are the shortest to pass from the back catalogue.

I'll get to the witcher 3, fallout 4 and bloodborne by 2027

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

honestly, my ps3, ps4, xbox360 and xbone probably havent even been turned on in about 2 years since i got the vr rift for my pc, But still have a huge backlog of steam games to get through.
    just not enough hours in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    It always cracks me up a bit, the "drivers!" argument. Normally, people who bring it forward as an obstacle to PC gaming, actually have never tried themselves.

The one thing that has logical foundation is the fact that usually, if you buy a Playstation or Xbox game, it will work find on the console; With PCs, most people have no idea about requirements and such; Ask any of the people working in Gamestop how many times somebody comes back with a game that "doesn't work" and when they ask "what graphics card do you have?" they stare at them blankly and go "graphics what? I don't know, it's a new DELL laptop, I bought it 5 years ago!" :D

Well, developers make contemporary console games work on PS handhelds but unplayable on laptops.

• Advertisement
Advertisement