Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did you find out you don't have time to play video games anymore ?

Options
  • 17-04-2016 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

In the last 5 months i have been playing less and less video games then i used to play my xbox one doesn't even get turned on more then once a week now as i just don't have a use for it anymore as i am just to busy with work and life to care about playing the latest video game.

I got myself a New 3DS XL to play on the bus to work but i cant be assed i just sit there relaxing for 20 mins before going to work :rolleyes:.

I just think i am starting to fall out of love with them and have started to sell off loads of my video games and am just buying records now as i enjoy sitting there with music playing then sitting down and playing a video game.

I am 24 years old been playing since i was 3 on a NES and games now just don't have the magic they used to for me. In the last few months all i have played is Pokemon Yellow, X and Football manager as i don't wont to play any of the latest games for my xbox one or ps4.

So people on boards when did your love of video games go ?.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I've never lost my love of video games. While nowadays I don't have the same amount of time to commit than I did when I was younger, but nothing beats the escapism of closing the door, powering up the PS4 and getting lost in Fallout 4 for a few hours with a beer in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Still play my 3ds alot but haven't had a tv for the last four years now so I've never owned a PS4 or Xbox One. I owned pretty much every console ever before that but lost it all when I became homeless. Miss my gamecube and nes collections the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

...just to busy with work and life to care about playing the latest video game...

I got myself a New 3DS XL to play on the bus to work but i cant be assed i just sit there relaxing for 20 mins before going to work :rolleyes:.

What do you mean too "busy with work and life"? Are you working long overtime every single day, way over the normal 8 hours? If you do, watch out that it's not a very healthy situation to be in. Also, if your commute is 20 minutes each way, it's very short by modern standards, It's only taking 40 minutes of your day away.

Assuming that at 24 you have no kids, if you are engaged in a myriad of other activities after work, like going to the gym, courses etc. then it's absolutely fine - it's stuff you want or need to do.

The reason I bring this up is that nowadays everyone says "I haven't got time for that!", but often people who say that simply have a really, really bad management of their time. Like going home after work, plopping themselves on the couch and gulping down 4 hours straight of TV/Netflix.

Also, Facebook and the likes are a proper sink of time; You open these services to "take a look" and two hours later you're still going through stuff you really have no interest in, but somehow just keep going.

Just take a good look at your daily activities and make sure there aren't very large wastes of time you weren't really aware about.
    I just think i am starting to fall out of love with them and have started to sell off loads of my video games and am just buying records now as i enjoy sitting there with music playing then sitting down and playing a video game.

...i don't wont to play any of the latest games for my xbox one or ps4...

And that's the second issue. Maybe you just don't like the newer games that are coming out. I can understand that - up until the Xbox360/PS3 generation, I always kept current. Since the One and the PS4 came out, however, I haven't got either of yet - simply because there aren't any games I'm interested in playing on the two platforms - Just Forza Motorsport 6, and honestly I don't feel like forking out nearly 400 Euro to play a single game. Most of the games I currently want to play are or will be on PC (XCom 2, Fallout 4, the upcoming DeusEx:Mankind Divided).

Essentially over the years I've become much, much more selective about what games I play - I simply find most of them underwhelming, too simple or too time consuming (e.g. MMOs where you need to be constantly playing to be competitive in any way). Maybe the same is happening to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'm 36 and spent most of the weekend playing Diablo 3 which I got on Friday, don't get too much time during the week as I'm not home until about 7 so get a good few hours in at the weekends. Dark Souls 3 arriving tomorrow and I still haven't really got the hang of Bloodborne.

I find if I get the right game I can have plenty of interest and fun Arkham Knight was great. Only got the PS4 at Christmas.

I still have never had the same fun as I did as a teenager eeking out better times on Mario Kart but I find if I get games I know I'll enjoy and not because of hype etc. I'll be playing for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Still play my 3ds alot but haven't had a tv for the last four years now so I've never owned a PS4 or Xbox One. I owned pretty much every console ever before that but lost it all when I became homeless. Miss my gamecube and nes collections the most.

That's a sad story.

OP I didn't fall out of love with them but life does get in the way. Work, kids, excercise etc all get in the way.

I don't buy what I won't play anymore. €1 per hour play is how I make a decision. If I know I won't play 50 hours I wait till it's cheaper or end up not buying at all.

I used to horde like crazy. So many games bought for even €30 or €40 and not taken out of boxes. Mental stuff really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Life definitely gets busier as you get older.

In the last 2 years I have dealt with a serious family illness, changed job, went sale agreed on a house that fell through, went sale agreed and bought a different house, got promoted internally into a more senior job, and am currently in the final stages of our wedding planning. That eats into time. I'm really looking forward to the summer when I can chill out, go hiking, cycling, do some BBQs and of course play more games.

Games are wonderful escapism, I hope I never fall out of love with them and keep time to play them.

Of the current gen I have a PS4, XB1 and Vita. Huge backlog of games.

Just yesterday my brother called and my other half suggested I start up my Raspberry Pi with Retropie installed on it. Had a brilliant 2 player session with him of Streets of Rage 2 and Mario Kart 64. Good times. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Just yesterday my brother called and my other half suggested I start up my Raspberry Pi with Retropie installed on it. Had a brilliant 2 player session with him of Streets of Rage 2 and Mario Kart 64. Good times. :)

Seriously I really need make some time to do something similar with my new raspberry pi or it'll gather dust with the backlog!!

Bought with so many good intentions but time, damn you time!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

When I discovered boys.

Shortly afterward I rediscovered time to play video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Sounds like you're just not bothered with gaming any longer. Maybe your priorities have shifted.

I never lost the gra for games. I only get in about 4 hours a week now bit still plug away.

You always find ways.

In my previous job I would book off a Friday and Monday whenever a game I wanted was going to be released and would spend the entire weekend playing that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

I never lost my love for games, but I find it really hard nowadays to get one that I am truly immersed in. The last game I felt like that about is The Witcher 3, which blew my mind. And I love the speed at which I can get involved in a really good battle in Rainbow Six: Siege.

About two years ago, I really got into Twitch channels and Youtuber's and I spend a lot of time in awe at PC games, especially Star Citizen for example. I'd really really love to get into PC gaming, but unfortunatly I'm in now way tech savvy, and as such I would never be able to operate it. But all my subscription list is PC gamers. So I still love games, and love finding out about them and watching mechanics and how they operate, but I have purposely tailored my own time gaming, mostly because my current system (Xbox One) is suffering a serious lack of quality in general.

Indie games however are bringing me back more than I expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I stop playing for years at a time and then I'll get one game that I'll play flat out for months. Since PS3 I played Black ops 1 a lot, GTA5 a lot and now on Xbone I played Black ops 3 and The Division.

I get fed up after a while though and just chill watching TV when I want a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I used to play a lot of different games, then for some reason I got stuck in a loop of playing MP games. BF4, Destiny and now BLOPS3.

After a while I do get tired of them, and take a break for a month or two and play something different in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Corvo wrote: »
    I'd really really love to get into PC gaming, but unfortunatly I'm in now way tech savvy, and as such I would never be able to operate it.

You can pick up a pretty powerful gaming PC for the price of a PS4 nowadays.
    Look on Adverts or the PC Building Forum and somebody will put it together for you for a small fee. Just explain that you are not tech savvy and they will ask you what types of games you like to play and what your budget is. They should be able to put something together for you.

PC Gaming can be as simple as switching it on, open Steam and click play on a game. If you're not worried about modding or hardware upgrades then a Gaming PC can be very similar to a console. It's surprisingly simple. I'm far from tech savvy and buying a gaming PC was the best decision I ever made!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I cannot wrap my head around "I don't know how to computer" as an excuse for *ANYTHING* in the year 2016. Even the consoles are stripped down and underpowered PCs running x64 PC Architecture. It's one thing knowing how to build on (a semi-skilled job), but not knowing how one basically operates isn't really on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

The simple question to ask in this thread is: Do you have kids?

If yes then you may as well pack the xbox up and put it in the attic like I've done.

People pissing and moaning about work commitments and buying houses, wait until you have a baby. You'll be lucky to squeeze in an hour of fallout a week.

I'm a very occasional visitor to this forum now but try to live vicariously through y'all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Having a baby turned you into a non-gamer AND someone from the deep South? Yikes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I spend as much time as I always have and I'm 35. I'm lucky enough to be blessed with an awesome GF who lets me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Mr E wrote: »
    Having a baby turned you into a non-gamer AND someone from the deep South? Yikes. :)

*slurps mug of Southern Comfort*

yuuuuuup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

quarryman wrote: »
    The simple question to ask in this thread is: Do you have kids?

If yes then you may as well pack the xbox up and put it in the attic like I've done.

People pissing and moaning about work commitments and buying houses, wait until you have a baby. You'll be lucky to squeeze in an hour of fallout a week.

I'm a very occasional visitor to this forum now but try to live vicariously through y'all :-)

Once you get past the nappy stage and into regular sleep patterns again, you'll be able to dust off the console again. I gave up gaming for about 6-7 years while the kids were young but picked up a PS3 3-4 years ago and have been having a great time ever since catching up on what I missed out on from that generation. When I eventually end up picking up a current gen console (I think I'll hold off and see what the PS4.5 ends up being) I'll have a fair bit to catch up on there.

• Advertisement

This is why the only commitment I have is a tortoise who mostly looks after himself once he's got food. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

It's a weird question to ask in a gaming forum.
    The people with no time for gaming surely don't have to time to discuss the games they have no time for :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Looks like the OP's commitments have stopped him reaponding in his own thread,either that or hes listening to his toons man....

It's a weird question to ask in a gaming forum.
    The people with no time for gaming surely don't have to time to discuss the games they have no time for :pac:

I don't think it's really about not having the time but about not wanting to make the time to play due to not having the same interest anymore. Happens with any pastime at some point. My interest in all my hobbies waxes and wanes but when I've feel a bit fatigued by one, there's always something else I can do to pass the time until my inevitable death. I'll play games but I'll also do a bit of music production some evenings or reading or listening to music - a couple of friends are trying to get a music podcast up and running which is kind of an album version of a book club - so I do that every fortnight or so but inbetween there's listening to the albums and doing a bit of background research. Personally, if my only hobby was playing games I think I'd get bored of it very quickly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

playing a bit every night for the last few weeks. before that, was once/twice a week since November when i got my one. before that, i hadn't switched on my 360 in about 2 years. but up to then i'd played most nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    The reason I bring this up is that nowadays everyone says "I haven't got time for that!", but often people who say that simply have a really, really bad management of their time.

It's not necessarily bad time management per se. Usually when people say "I haven't got time for that" what they actually mean is "I don't want to do that, I have other things I'd rather do with my time." Maybe that's working overtime, or playing music, or watching Netflix, or hiking, or whatever. You'd be choosing to do those things rather than playing videogames, which just means you don't really want to play videogames that much.

What I don't understand is why people choose to phrase it this way. Is it just really poor self-reflection? Or is it a sort of self aggrandisement, ie. "I'm so important that the world needs me to be doing other things and I don't have time for this. I simply haven't the time!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

Shiminay wrote: »
    I cannot wrap my head around "I don't know how to computer" as an excuse for *ANYTHING* in the year 2016. Even the consoles are stripped down and underpowered PCs running x64 PC Architecture. It's one thing knowing how to build on (a semi-skilled job), but not knowing how one basically operates isn't really on.

I should have explained better.

I just wouldn't know how to upgrade it without help and I would probably end up leaking money unnecessarily.

Things like graphic card etc. and the options within a PC game would baffle me. I wouldn't be able to get my moneys worth from it is what I'm saying I guess.

Corvo wrote: »
    I should have explained better.

I just wouldn't know how to upgrade it without help and I would probably end up leaking money unnecessarily.

Things like graphic card etc. and the options within a PC game would baffle me. I wouldn't be able to get my moneys worth from it is what I'm saying I guess.

Aaaahhh, well I'll grant you that picking the bits is the most difficult thing, but that's why we have this forum :D There is only one way to put the parts together, you really can't get it wrong if you take 10 minutes to look at a YouTube or 2 - it's considered unskilled labour for anyone who does it in a factory :)

As for the options - it's all pretty self explanatory, again, 10 minutes of reading will tell you everything you need to know, this stuff is pretty handy to get the head around unless you're some sort of Apple product owner :P

I'd build a pc but I haven't got the time…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Important too I think in terms of hobbies to mix more sedentary hobbies with more active ones.

With the weather being so crap for so long, games and films have been great, but over the summer as I said earlier I want to cycle, hike, do BBQs etc.

Not healthy to be someone that sits inside every evening with TV/Netflix/games etc.

EDIT - Even by taking your time you could put together a PC in a good evening. Been a few years since I built one but they are getting simpler all the time, particular around drivers etc.

Picking the kit out is the longest and most stressful part as you try to balance various areas with your budget.

Advertisement