Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Wish Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Hang on lads, the original Death Wish wasn't high art, it was a Michael Winner movie chasing on the coat tails of Dirty Harry.

This actually looks like a bit of craic if you can overlook the fact Willis gets over the murder of his family by smirking for the rest of the movie and robbing Schwarzenegger's cheesy one liner killings.

As anyone of my vintage will recall, virtually every 80's action movie usually involved the hero's family/spouse being kidnapped/meeting their maker, which in turn justified why said hero usually murdered more people than the villain ! (See Lethal Weapon, Die Hard etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Obviously it's hard to tell from the trailer but in the original Paul Kursey a peaceful civilised man goes on a journey (literally and metaphorically) to find his inner urban warrior, he didn't just turn into a vigilante. Here it feels like he is a thug just waiting to be triggered.

Actually at first the original was supposed to be directed by Sidney Lumet and star Jack Lemmon.... would of been an altogether different movie and probably never have produced 4 or 5 sequel's and a remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wedwood wrote: »
    Hang on lads, the original Death Wish wasn't high art, it was a Michael Winner movie chasing on the coat tails of Dirty Harry.

I don't think anyone is saying that 'Death Wish' is "high art" or anything. But, at least there is something to it and it's not the film that a lot of people think it is. Plus it has that fantastic 70's New York background at the heart of the film.

Its memory, though, has been sullied by the silly 80's Canon movies, which just got stupider and stupider.

But this effort just looks like a souless name rape copy, with a lead that has been past his use by date for at least 20 years and is just going through the motions for a contribution to his retirement fund at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Bebopclown

This movie has Liberals and SJWs up in arms so that's enough for me to support it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wedwood wrote: »

This actually looks like a bit of craic if you can overlook the fact Willis gets over the murder of his family by smirking for the rest of the movie and robbing Schwarzenegger's cheesy one liner killings.

As anyone of my vintage will recall, virtually every 80's action movie usually involved the hero's family/spouse being kidnapped/meeting their maker, which in turn justified why said hero usually murdered more people than the villain ! (See Lethal Weapon, Die Hard etc)

I don't think anyone would mistake the original Death Wish for high art, but that trailer looks so tired and lazy, I had to go back and make sure it's not a Sony production (it's MGM). Just comes across like a cynical triumvirate of obscure remake source material, hack director, and lead actor who basically yawns his way through films these days. Looks like the writing is Roth's work too. Christ.

The final film may be a good one, so hey I'm maintaining as open a mind as I do most films, but honestly the vigilantism thing is done to death (oho!); since the original Death Wish we've had everything from Batman, Super / Kick-Ass, John Wick, to the Captain America films running with or skewering the notions of being a vigilante. It's a trope at this stage, so making what looks to be a straight-faced, mid-tier remake feels fairly redundant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

New trailer. Out in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Bruce Willis in scrubs just looks weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

If I recall in the original
    Bronson's character never actually got to take revenge on his family's attackers
    I doubt if they will stick with that plotline in the remake, it probably wouldn't fly in a modern revenge thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

/\

That's correct.
    'Death Wish' is not really a "revenge" movie. It's more about Paul Kersey doing something about violent crime in general.

Plus, he's no typical Bruce Willis "character" either. He's not all gung ho and whatnot. His first attempt, which happens half through the film, sickens him deeply.

Despite all the nonsense about the original 'Death Wish', it's an interesting film and not the film that most people think it is.

A lot of people's impressions come from those awful Canon sequels. But, the original film is a different fish altogether.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The fact someone like Liam Neeson would have been a better match for the kind of role Death Wish had originally shows how redundant a remake this is; Neeson has himself cornered the market for 'everyman wrecking ball' at stage, Bruce Willis is hardly believable as the normal Joe who snaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would have preferred to see someone like Don Johnson as Kersey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

It just looks like a really lame rip off of Taken with minimal influence from the original. Won't bother with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Violence for the sake of violence in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

You know it'll be a PG-13 deathwish, this will be awful
    Not if the latest red band trailer is any guide:

This had me thinking "fan trailer", but no, it's on Eli Roth's own Crypt TV YouTube channel. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

The reviews for this film have all been negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Sounds about right for an Eli Roth movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Dr Brown wrote: »
    The reviews for this film have all been negative.

No surprise there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Its over a decade since Bruce Willis last made a good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Its over a decade since Bruce Willis last made a good film.

Looper was only 5 years ago. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RED (the first one) was okay.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I think critics have gotten lazier.
    Everything was better in the (insert decade of your choice)
    "XYZ" hasn't made a decent movie in X years
    XYZ studio has ruined (insert genre here)
    (Upon announcement of movie) "well this sounds sh*t"
    Worst Movie Ever!
    "I think (XYZ) isn't even trying anymore"
    And the all time classic
    Well I think my idea would have been much better!
    People used to watch a movie and try to write an honest criticism of it, considering the good and bad points.
    We live in an age where everything is either 10 stars or one star with nothing in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Sounds about right for an Eli Roth movie.

Hostel (first one) and Cabin Fever are great fun.

Saw this today, and wasn't all that bad at all. Decent bit of entertainment if your not expecting too much. The problem with it is that Liam Neeson does a much better job in this kind of role. Bruce looks a bit soft around the edges now.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Saw this today, and wasn't all that bad at all. Decent bit of entertainment if your not expecting too much. The problem with it is that Liam Neeson does a much better job in this kind of role. Bruce looks a bit soft around the edges now.

Yea even Bronson had more of an edge to him in the sequels than Willis has nowadays. Death Wish 3 has one of the best pieces of trivia I've read on IMDB in a while regarding Bronson.
    Alex Winter recalled filming a scene where Charles Bronson hits him with a lead pipe took longer than anticipated because Bronson didn't show up to do so. After a while, Michael Winner said, "Charlie, we all want to go home, would you please hit this man so we can go home?" Bronson replied, "I can't hit this kid, he looks like a ****ing choirboy. I'll lose my audience".

Look forward to Donald Clarke's extremely catty review of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just watched it today and maybe because I expected so little from it, but i found it a pretty good watch too - straight forward and as predictable as your next step but very satisfying and pretty brutal in spots.

Nothing memorable about it but it's a strong easy watch on a quiet afternoon. And commendably, this one's definitely a pretty hard R.

Yeah, that's a fair summation. Caught it when it was playing in the cinema. Better than expected. Vincent D'Onofrio is usually a solid addition to a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

Simon2015 wrote:
    I think Stallone or Liam Nesson would of been a much better choice.

Neeson...might as well call it Taken 4...(but I watch everything he does, Ireland's very own 'everyman')...

Neeson...might as well call it Taken 4...(but I watch everything he does, Ireland's very own 'everyman')...
    Yeah went to see the Commuter in the cinema. Also picked up the DVD for a Father's day present.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To be fair, I'd say it's not as good as Taken - though a lot more violent - but it is infinitely better than Taken 2 or 3....or The Commuter.

Advertisement