Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Wish Remake

Options
  • 16-04-2016 4:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Looks like they are remaking Death Wish with Bruce Willis as the lead actor.

I think Stallone or Liam Nesson would of been a much better choice.

Bruce Willis hasn't made a good film in years.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Bruce-Willis-Remaking-Death-Wish-Here-What-We-Know-116487.html

Paramount and MGM have found the perfect action hero to step into the Death Wish shoes that were vacated by the sad passing of Charles Bronson in 2003. That’s because the studios’ reboot of the beloved franchise will now be led by none-other than Bruce Willis. And I for one can’t think of anyone more perfect for the role.

Deadline was the first to report that Bruce Willis in being pursued by both Paramount and MGM for Death Wish, which is being written and directed by Big Bad Wolves’ Aharon Keshales and Navot Papushado. Paramount and MGM have been forced to work together like the studio version of The Odd Couple because, even though Paramount released 1974’s Death Wish alongside the Dino De Laurentiis Company, MGM now owns those rights.

The rebooted version will once again be adapted from Brian Garfield’s novel, and it’s been a long time in coming. Both studios have had their issues put to one side for years in their pursuit of making a new Death Wish film. However the film’s development has repeatedly been stunted

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The best option would have been to not remake it at all.

Death Wish is an exploitation classic but the gritty, grimey subject matter is very much a film of its time.

I can just imagine the remake, all flashy with a pumping soundtrack.

Loadamebollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nah this is a very bad idea, if you look at the attempts to remake/update 70s trash its rarely worked and certainly never felt right - Mother's Day was far too glossy, Maniac lacked the grime of the original, Friday 13th was like a greatest hits on fast forward, while "homages" such as the stupid Rodriguez/Tarantino Grindhouse and spin off films were just ludicrous - a glossy magazine version of the drive in ethos.

Nah this is a very bad idea, if you look at the attempts to remake/update 70s trash its rarely worked and certainly never felt right - Mother's Day was far too glossy, Maniac lacked the grime of the original, Friday 13th was like a greatest hits on fast forward, while "homages" such as the stupid Rodriguez/Tarantino Grindhouse and spin off films were just ludicrous - a glossy magazine version of the drive in ethos.

I'd agree with the above with the exception of Maniac.

I adore the original and the thought of Wood in the role of Frank filled me with dread but I really enjoyed it.

Obviously the grittiness of the original couldn't be replicated, neither could the graphic violence but the remake stands by itself pretty well IMO.

I also have a huge sof spot for Planet Terror.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

I'd agree with the above with the exception of Maniac.

I adore the original and the thought of Wood in the role of Frank filled me with dread but I really enjoyed it.

Obviously the grittiness of the original couldn't be replicated, neither could the graphic violence but the remake stands by itself pretty well IMO.

I also have a huge sof spot for Planet Terror.

Agree with you about Maniac, great remake, but I thought the remake was more violent and graphic. Great sound track too.

but the scratches on the negative have to be real dammit!

• Advertisement

jh79 wrote: »
    Agree with you about Maniac, great remake, but I thought the remake was more violent and graphic. Great sound track too.

I havnt watched it in a while but the only thing I thought was cringey in it was the scene with the Achilles tendon slice.

The original had the very realistic scalping and some other nasty delights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

I havnt watched it in a while but the only thing I thought was cringey in it was the scene with the Achilles tendon slice.

The original had the very realistic scalping and some other nasty delights.

For me the original had gore more so than violence, the remake revelled in its violence eg the older woman having a bath and what happened next . Old school practical effects were great in the original still can't believe it hasn't got a full uncut release over here yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They somewhat already remade Deathwish with Death Sentence.

Pretty good flick and pretty violent too - Somehow I get the feeling a Deathwish remake with Willis would be more of a crowd pleaser.

They somewhat already remade Deathwish with Death Sentence.

Pretty good flick and pretty violent too - Somehow I get the feeling a Deathwish remake with Willis would be more of a crowd pleaser.

Id hazard a guess it will be similar in tone to The Equalizer.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

They'll probably end up going the 12A route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Death Wish 9

• Registered Users Posts: 18,980 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Another bad idea in a long line of bad ideas. :(

'Death Wish' is actually one of the 70's great films and not the film that most people think it is, as it's memory has been sullied by terrible 80's sequels, rather like the original 'Rocky'.

But, it's a picture that was born of its time. A time when many people felt parts of New York were simply no go areas and "ordinary folk" lived in fear of their lives of rapists, muggers, drug addicts and ethnic minorities. Mostly unreasonable fear, but fear nonetheless.

New York today is Disneyland compared to the mid 70's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Tony EH wrote: »
    Another bad idea in a long line of bad ideas. :(

'Death Wish' is actually one of the 70's great films and not the film that most people think it is, as it's memory has been sullied by terrible 80's sequels, rather like the original 'Rocky'.

But, it's a picture that was born of its time. A time when many people felt parts of New York were simply no go areas and "ordinary folk" lived in fear of their lives of rapists, muggers, drug addicts and ethnic minorities. Mostly unreasonable fear, but fear nonetheless.

New York today is Disneyland compared to the mid 70's.

I don't think its a bad idea if its done well.

Harry Brown was basically a rip off of Death Wish yet it turned out to be a good film.

You could say that any vigilante film is a "rip off" of 'Death Wish' so.

In any case, 'Harry Brown' is kind of a different kettle of fish. I wouldn't call it a rip off really. It's its own tale and told well. It only really shares a vigilante motif.

Problem is, if they're going to remake 'Death Wish', it isn't going to be as a small time film, like either the 70's version or 'Harry Brown'. It'll be blown out of proportion, have a name star and end up being a dud leaving everybody wondering what the point was, like 'The Taking of Pelham 123' or 'Assault on Precinct 13'.

As for bad ideas. Remakes usually are, as the vast, vast majority have amply shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

You know it'll be a PG-13 deathwish, this will be awful

• Registered Users Posts: 85,379 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Eli Roth now to direct

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

328410.jpg?b64lines=IEkgd2lzaCBJIHdhcwogZGVhZC4gT3khIA==

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

q8SUH.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Eli Roth now to direct

Urgh. And just like that, I'm suddenly a lot less interested in this particular remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Should be Bryan Cranston in it. Had enough of Willis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Noblong wrote: »

Me too, only so much you can see him posing with a gun in yet another movie.

The below image could belong to any one his films from the past 10 years :pac:
    Precious-Cargo.jpg

This is going to suck harder than a fly on shite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Noblong wrote: »

Gary Oldman would also be perfect for the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Tonal mess.

Just not Death Wish at all.
    "Tragic events" - he looks to get over it quick enough, cracking jokes and grinning like an idiot.

He doesn't act anymore, he just shows up as Bruce Willis.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Rod Munch wrote: »
    The best option would have been to not remake it at all.

Death Wish is an exploitation classic but the gritty, grimey subject matter is very much a film of its time.

I can just imagine the remake, all flashy with a pumping soundtrack.

Loadamebollox.
    bnt wrote: »

Bravo, sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tonal mess.

Just not Death Wish at all.
    "Tragic events" - he looks to get over it quick enough, cracking jokes and grinning like an idiot.

He doesn't act anymore, he just shows up as Bruce Willis.

I expected much worse after reading that but it looks good to me. AC/DC makes everything better.

Obviously it's hard to tell from the trailer but in the original Paul Kursey a peaceful civilised man goes on a journey (literally and metaphorically) to find his inner urban warrior, he didn't just turn into a vigilante. Here it feels like he is a thug just waiting to be triggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,369 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'll watch it but Willis is no Motherfcuking Charlie Bronson.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It looks offensively bad, and while it could just be the way the trailer's cut, I really doubt it. Bruce Willis really has given up; at least someone like DeNiro keeps his CV varied in his own "stopped caring" phase, Willis just turns up in these subpar action roles and always looks like he really doesn't want to be there.

Advertisement