Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does school prepare us for later life?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,041 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Actually the argument would be for the non-existence of God.

The argument doesn't exist!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

While it did teach me necessary stuff by and large, school didn't teach me how to manage my finances, pay my taxes, thinking for myself, how the government works, home and car repair, learning from failure, self defense, law or how to learn from my failures. But the Irish Government thought it necessary for me to know how to sing religious songs from the Alive-O textbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Elemonator wrote: »
    While it did teach me necessary stuff by and large, school didn't teach me how to manage my finances, pay my taxes, thinking for myself, how the government works, home and car repair, learning from failure, self defense, law or how to learn from my failures.

Without an education, you would have understood none of those things though. This is the fundamental point people seem to keep missing!

But the Irish Government thought it necessary for me to know how to sing religious songs from the Alive-O textbook.

Nope, it was your parents who sent you to the school where you were taught how to sing religious songs, that thought it was necessary. The Irish Government had nothing to do with their decision, and even less to do with the religious curriculum.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Elemonator wrote: »
    While it did teach me necessary stuff by and large, school didn't teach me how to manage my finances, pay my taxes, thinking for myself, how the government works, home and car repair, learning from failure, self defense, law or how to learn from my failures. But the Irish Government thought it necessary for me to know how to sing religious songs from the Alive-O textbook.

Except when you actually think about this a lot of this stuff is thought in schools. Budgeting is thought on the business course, basic taxes (income taxes and VAT) are dealt with in maths, the government is thought in CSPE, woodwork metalwork etc teach home repair and wiring plugs is thought in JC science, most school teach road safety which includes elements of maintaining for your car in TY, self-defense is thought in some schools in TY, consumer rights are thought in business and other elements of law are thought in other subjects and lastly I don't see how the school is supposed to teach you how to learn from your failures.

Advertisement