Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panti Bliss: the new Ronnie O'Brien?

Options
  • 15-04-2016 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Panti Bliss has come in 29th place on a Time Magazine reader's poll to determine the 100 most influential people in the world

In this he/she follows in the footsteps of illustrious compatriot Ronnie O'Brien, a once promising young footballer from Bray who actually spent a few seasons as a youth on the books of Italian giants Juventus.

When that club's supporters hosted an Internet poll to find the Juventus "Player of the Century" who do you think was up there with the likes of Zinnedine Zidane, Roberto Bettega, Paolo Rossi, John Charles, Michel Platini, Zbigniew Boniek?

Yep. Ronnie O'Brien, who by then was plying his trade in the USA.

Irish people can't resist an internet prank, it seems.

Indeed, flushed with their success they then moved on to a TIME poll to find the Person of The Century and the bould Ronnie finished quite high on that one too.

Now it seems that Irish internet pranksters have managed to get our local equivalent of the Shrieking Yale Girl into the upper echelons of a more recent Time poll.

Some people have too much time on their hands :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I just watched that video of the "Shrieking Yale Girl. I can't believe that people like that actually exist in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Suas11 wrote: »
    I just watched that video of the "Shrieking Yale Girl. I can't believe that people like that actually exist in the real world.

I watched the very same thing. She needs to retune her beliefs to make her live in the real world.

I mean getting offended over a few people wearing halloween costumes. I mean FFS; Get real with yourself missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's not just an Irish thing.

Boaty McBoatface, anyone?

I'm tired of being told how great Panti Bliss is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I watched the very same thing. She needs to retune her beliefs to make her live in the real world.
    Sure, though if she stays in American academia her beliefs will do just fine. Crazy though that is. The consistent characteristic of all these new hippy nutters is that mentally and emotionally they're basically barely adolescent children. And spoiled ones at that. If you view them like this it's easy to see where they're coming from. They're a generation and class(and often gender) that have been cosseted and pampered into believing their shít don't stink by parents and society. Add in social media that has weaponised attention seeking, affirmation, gossip and self importance and you have the perfect environment for growing temper tantrum never my responsibility idiots. As I said a percentage of the population that are12 year old only children with over indulgent parents trapped in an adult's body.
    These days I just tune that kinda thing out TBH. When he first came along and was noticed by the Irish Meehja I listened and read and felt a growing meh nothing to see here. The "speech" he made that was apparently "soooo life affirming"(by idiots on Facebook) I never saw the big deal about. I admire the fact he's made a name, living and life against a fair number of odds, so fair play there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

HOMOPHOBE!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It annoys me that Panti Bliss is the defacto representative of the gay community. I am not sure why. I am not gay but if I was I would probably be p!ssed off that everyone who didn't know any better before now assumes that Panti Bliss is everything being gay means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sky King wrote: »
    It annoys me that Panti Bliss is the defacto representative of the gay community. I am not sure why. I am not gay but if I was I would probably be p!ssed off that everyone who didn't know any better before now assumes that Panti Bliss is everything being gay means.

Rory is very articulate man. I think he should drop the drag act completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I voted yes in the referendum and I never paid any attention to this ginnet. So he had no influence on me.

I suspect he had very little influence on anybody in reality it's just that he appeared on TV and at events a few times and the media kept on telling us how influential he was without having any way of accurately gauging his influence which I suspect was non existent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭gazzer

I love how Panti is all about equality but if you go into Panti Bar all the staff are Brazilian. No other nationality at all. Diversity only exists for Panti when there is no money to be made it seems. Every other gay bar in Dublin has a mix of nationalities working there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Well before him David Norris seemed to be the representative so is it any worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Well before him David Norris seemed to be the representative so is it any worse.

They should put him in a dress and call him Granny Bliss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

smash wrote: »
    They should put him in a dress and call him Granny Bliss

Shudders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Panti Bliss has come in 29th place on a Time Magazine reader's poll to determine the 100 most influential people in the world

In this he/she follows in the footsteps of illustrious compatriot Ronnie O'Brien, a once promising young footballer from Bray who actually spent a few seasons as a youth on the books of Italian giants Juventus.

When that club's supporters hosted an Internet poll to find the Juventus "Player of the Century" who do you think was up there with the likes of Zinnedine Zidane, Roberto Bettega, Paolo Rossi, John Charles, Michel Platini, Zbigniew Boniek?

Indeed, flushed with their success they then moved on to a TIME poll to find the Person of The Century and the bould Ronnie finished quite high on that one too.

Now it seems that Irish internet pranksters have managed to get our local equivalent of the Shrieking Yale Girl into the upper echelons of a more recent Time poll.

I never knew we won the UEFA championship, :D:D deadly. Https// en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_UEFA_European_Under-16_Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The list also includes Martin Shkreli...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It's just a guy promoting his business interests like his book, dvd and bar. The panti act is his brand. I think he is tiresome at this stage and certainly doesn't represent the gay community.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Well Ronnie O'Brien didn't finish high up in the man of the century poll. He was leading it due to the Irish campaign, but was removed any time he showed up in the leaderboard by Time.

... I'm kind of out of the loop about a lot of this, but what exactly did they do that was so influential, to be listed in the top 100 of the world, no less.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Who eventually won that BBC song of the century?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Ronnie O'Brien was actually leading Time Magazine Man of the Century alongside Einstein, Ghandi, Mandela etc... when Time Magazine pulled him out of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Who eventually won that BBC song of the century?

The Wolfe Tones - A Nation Once Again.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2591357.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

It's always amusing to see people get so worked up over drag queens and referring to them as 'he'. You do understand that they are just characters and certain traits may be over exaggerated for entertainment purposes?

It's a bit like going to a Christmas panto and being outraged by the carry on of the panto dame *clutches rosary beads*.

In this country at least, we have an almost endless news cycle of old men in suits acting like children, all in the name of politics. So when something different pops up on our news channels, I see it as a welcome relief, not something to get worked up over or have a rant about.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

dav3 wrote: »
    It's always amusing to see people get so worked up over drag queens and referring to them as 'he'.
    Eh, it's a man dressed and made up as a camp stereotype of a woman, of course one would refer to such a person as "he". They're not transexuals.
    You do understand that they are just characters and certain traits may be over exaggerated for entertainment purposes?
    Getaway? Well I never...
    It's a bit like going to a Christmas panto and being outraged by the carry on of the panto dame *clutches rosary beads*.
    So long as I ain't involved in a decade of the anal beads I'm happy out.
    smash wrote:
    Rory is very articulate man. I think he should drop the drag act completely.
    He is, but the drag act is what gets him in the door. He'd have to come up with another angle to remain visible and relevant. Not so easy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Isn't this just the classic Irish hating on anyone who does well for themselves outside of this country?

I mean does anyone have any actual legitimate criticism of the man or is it just the media reporting of which he doesn't have much control over?

I mean he just made a speech based on his own experiences that struck a chord with people and has capitalised on that. What a monster right?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Gay or straight, or whatever else. What is the appeal of a drag queen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Was the long list not chosen by Time initially?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Isn't this just the classic Irish hating on anyone who does well for themselves outside of this country?

I mean does anyone have any actual legitimate criticism of the man or is it just the media reporting of which he doesn't have much control over?

I mean he just made a speech based on his own experiences that struck a chord with people and has capitalised on that. What a monster right?

But I think some people suspect his influence has been completely over stated and that it was purely a media decided to attribute him with this influence and that he doesn't deserve anywhere near the credit he has received.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If ever they're a person more overrated in life it's him

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

I've seen him in the street, he wears all that make to hide the emotional scars.

Advertisement