Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Rugby starting soon in USA

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

This probably puts the stop to the mutterings of 1 or 2 teams joining the pro 12.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

League expanding to 8 teams for next season.
    They are planning to have 8 teams next year in two conferences – a West Coast conference and a Midwest/East Coast conference.
    https://m.facebook.com/prorugby/posts/1136545546413967

#8 on that list is interesting and good to see.

I've read a bit lately about US sports teams having these "ladies nights" things to try and attract female fans to games but they're all mainly talking down to women, implying they're not interested in the actual sport and need to be lured in and/or educated on the sport in question. They don't seem to acknowledge the fact that female sports fans exist already.

So it's good to see Pro Rugby acknowledging their existence from the get go.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    This probably puts the stop to the mutterings of 1 or 2 teams joining the pro 12.

Expanding the league was always their intention though and that didn't stop the mutterings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

A personal update communicated through facebook is not quite giving out the professional organisation vibe.

Would love to have seen better structures behind it like clear catchment areas and feeder clubs.

The silly names make me puke a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Winters wrote: »
    A personal update communicated through facebook is not quite giving out the professional organisation vibe.

Would love to have seen better structures behind it like clear catchment areas and feeder clubs.

The organisation is in its infancy, I'd give it time. As for the names, every team in the US has a name so nothing new there!

It looks like the first season was a success, hopefully it can continue to grow. It would be great if the US/Canada national teams could become more competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

All pro sports teams in US have a name after them... Look at Football, Baseball etc
    That was simply the link I found. They may well have had other communication sources in the media. That was simply the link I posted....
    Clear catchment areas...
    The league is in its infancy. I wouldn't worry about feeder clubs. Its going to be difficult to get that.
    The organisation is in its infancy, I'd give it time. As for the names, every team in the US has a name so nothing new there!

It looks like the first season was a success, hopefully it can continue to grow. It would be great if the US/Canada national teams could become more competitive.
    Would be huge for the sport if they could be more competitive.

Ah lads here, of course I know that other US pro teams have monikers. Its just that they started with geographical names at first and then added the marketing names.

Also the USA Rugby structures are already there in their Geographical Unions and Local Area Union but the PRO league doesnt seem to tie in with those.

I just thought a link to the official site http://www.prorugby.org/news/ rather than Doug's post on facebook would have been better.

Ah lads here, of course I know that other US pro teams have monikers. Its just that they started with geographical names at first and then added the marketing names.

Also the USA Rugby structures are already there in their Geographical Unions and Local Area Union but the PRO league doesnt seem to tie in with those.

I just thought a link to the official site http://www.prorugby.org/news/ rather than Doug's post on facebook would have been better.
    Why does it matter? I posted the first place I saw the link. Surely Phog who posts anything Munster tweet in the Munster thread should only post the link to posts from the website and not simply the twitter account then....

The league needed these teams and there will be tie ins with clubs as the league grows and develops. Having teams and a structure put in was needed and then tie in to the local game. Gain supporters and build up media links

Why does it matter? I posted the first place I saw the link. Surely Phog who posts anything Munster tweet in the Munster thread should only post the link to posts from the website and not simply the twitter account then....

I meant the organisation of PRO rugby, not you. What I meant was the organisation should have tweeted a link and posted a link on their facebook back to their own site with the update news there.

A facebook post is the only location of Doug's update. Companies, especially fledgling companies, should be directing traffic back to their own site where their sponsors are/will want to be.

I meant the organisation of PRO rugby, not you. What I meant was the organisation should have tweeted a link and posted a link on their facebook back to their own site with the update news there.

A facebook post is the only location of Doug's update. Companies, especially fledgling companies, should be directing traffic back to their own site where their sponsors are/will want to be.
    I know you meant them not me but I simply posted what I saw. I assume its up elsewhere on their website ....

• Advertisement
Advertisement