Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro Rugby starting soon in USA

Options
  • 14-04-2016 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭

Pretty cool...
    http://www.prorugby.org/

Hope to catch the odd game and see what the skill level is like.

Sacramento v San Francisco on Sat is the inaugural game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Its been discussed in a few threads already but probably deserves its own.
    I posted a short while back but there's a decent enough irish representation in the competition with quite a few players involved as well as a coach or two.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99081931&postcount=4505
    Ray Egan former Munster elite development officer is coach of San Diego side. Having been coaching a club side out in the states for 5 years since finishing up with Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

They've managed to snag a few big enough names. Muliaina, Wannenburg, and the younger Bergamasco, off the top of my head.

Let's adopt teams.

https://www.random.org/lists/

Currently Supports Your Pro Rugby Team Are!
    1. All Others 1. San Francisco
    2. Ulster 2. Sacramento
    3. Connacht 3. San Diego
    4. Munster 4. Denver
    5. Leinster 5. Ohio

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

They've managed to snag a few big enough names. Muliaina, Wannenburg, and the younger Bergamasco, off the top of my head.
    Mils Muliaina. Putting the journey in journeyman :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Anyone know how Ohio feels about prawn sandwiches? Can't be supporting a team that doesn't sell them at games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

What do people think will be the future of this competition in 10 years time for example. I always thought with the population and money the US have serious potential to be a rugby powerhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Stan27 wrote: »
    What do people think will be the future of this competition in 10 years time for example. I always thought with the population and money the US have serious potential to be a rugby powerhouse

Same could be said for Soccer but its only starting to gain traction now. They def have potential, they have the athletes. They need to play it at grass roots level with kids. Soccer has been ingrained in USA sports culture for decades at underage level, but the sport at senior level still isn't in the Top 4 sports in the country.

Stan27 wrote: »
    Impossible to say. Ive played against/refereed and coached teams against a few dozen American sides touring here over past 7/8 years and its really picking up over there and is one of the fastest growing sports in the states but hard to see them becoming a "powerhouse" in many ways. They'll do well in 7s with it now an Olympic sport but wouldn't be sure about 15 man game.
    Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Same could be said for Soccer but its only starting to gain traction now. They def have potential, they have the athletes. They need to play it at grass roots level with kids. Soccer has been ingrained in USA sports culture for decades at underage level, but the sport at senior level still isn't in the Top 4 sports in the country.
    Soccer much more teams playing so harder to progress. Its so hard to break the big 4 sports that I wouldn't be that focused on it not being up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Let's adopt teams.

https://www.random.org/lists/

Currently Supports Your Pro Rugby Team Are!
    1. All Others 1. San Francisco
    2. Ulster 2. Sacramento
    3. Connacht 3. San Diego
    4. Munster 4. Denver
    5. Leinster 5. Ohio

Go Conndiego!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Will any of the games be shown (live???) on TV here in Ireland, does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Hold on. Why does Connacht get San Diego?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Hold on. Why does Connacht get San Diego?

Seeing as he linked this, I'm pretty sure it was random.

Melodeon wrote: »
    Will any of the games be shown (live???) on TV here in Ireland, does anyone know?
    Not a hope will games be shown live here
    Don't think it has a contract for live games in the states

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Looks like only AOL will carry a live stream for now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

First games today.

Melting my brain trying to work out the different timezones but I believe Ohio play Denver first at 10pm Irish time. Conditions look good.

https://twitter.com/suniula12/status/721483646474039299

It looks like AOL are streaming the second match today, around midnight Irish time. Not sure if it will be GeoBlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It looks like AOL are streaming the second match today, around midnight Irish time. Not sure if it will be GeoBlocked.

Are they not streaming the Ohio Prawn Sandwiches game? I was hoping to watch that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

First games today.

Melting my brain trying to work out the different timezones but I believe Ohio play Denver first at 10pm Irish time. Conditions look good.

https://twitter.com/suniula12/status/721483646474039299

The 4 zones are Eastern: -5 hours, Central -6 hours, Mountain - 7 hours and Pacific -8 hours. Colorado is under mountain time so it's 7 hours behind us.

Are they not streaming the Ohio Prawn Sandwiches game? I was hoping to watch that one.

They don't appear to be. I checked their site and it only mentions the later game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

I just found this

https://www.oneworldsports.com/stories/one-world-sports-pro-rugby-tv-schedule/

I have been checking my android box for links via kodI, but no joy as yet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Jasis their website doesn't even load on android browser

First games today.

Melting my brain trying to work out the different timezones but I believe Ohio play Denver first at 10pm Irish time.

So........ I got this one wrong. It seems to have started at 9 Irish time.

Pitch a while before kickoff...
    CgRO8-TXEAI6b-a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

As everyone knows the most important thing about any PRO rugby league is the jeresys. And they are shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

As everyone knows the most important thing about any PRO rugby league is the jeresys. And they are shocking.

Certainly not as fashionable as we'd like for the OPS's but at the least they're leading with 10 minutes to play

I was all set to become a Denver supporter and then they went and had the worst kits of the whole lot. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Certainly not as fashionable as we'd like for the OPS's but at the least they're leading with 10 minutes to play

What's the crowd like. I can't get it to play?

What's the crowd like. I can't get it to play?

Not great but the weather won't be helping.

CgRRG8kUYAAGAjP.jpg

Oooh, Denver try to level the score and conversion is missed. 2 minutes left.

Trust the yanks to end their first pro match in a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,006 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Oooh, Denver try to level the score and conversion is missed. 2 minutes left.

Trust the yanks to end their first pro match in a draw.

I think it's set up so that it can't end in a draw

• Advertisement

I think it's set up so that it can't end in a draw

How could they do that without changing the rules?

Just as I type that....

https://twitter.com/ProRugbyUSA/status/721817926089609217

Advertisement